Step by Step Beast Style

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Step by Step Beast Style

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Great stuff.

I found a point that comes off a a field. I have seen bucks and does come out of this bedding area. Bucks with large tracks bed in there leaving their rubs sometimes but like I said the does bed there too.

Why would both bucks and does bed together and is this rare to see? It seems mature bucks seem to bed alone most of the time im my experience.

They often bed adjacent to each other. For instance, it can be tough to get close enough to buck beds on hill country points because does are bedded at a higher elevation on the same point a lot.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:01 pm

I found a point that comes off a a field. I have seen bucks and does come out of this bedding area. Bucks with large tracks bed in there leaving their rubs sometimes but like I said the does bed there too.

Why would both bucks and does bed together and is this rare to see? It seems mature bucks seem to bed alone most of the time im my experience.

It may be that there are just so many good bedding areas on the property? Was it rut related where the bucks were just bedding where the does were??

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:03 pm

dan wrote:

They often bed adjacent to each other. For instance, it can be tough to get close enough to buck beds on hill country points because does are bedded at a higher elevation on the same point a lot.

Yeah I have seen this in hill country before...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
dan wrote:

Yeah I have seen this in hill country before...

They do bed close to each other sometimes do your best to distinguish where the bucks bed and where the does bed. The bucks generally will be right on the edge of the point, generally on the "back side" of the heaviest cover on the point when looking at it from which direction the wind blows, and like Dan says often below the does as a result. If you think of it that way they still have separate bedding areas even if all on the same "point". The only reason I make that distinction is if you are going to try and set up to beat them back to the bed some morning you have to know where to sit and you probably only have one shot or you will burn that place out.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:40 pm

dan wrote:

Wow...you are spot on Dan. The doe beds are higher on the point closer to the field edge and the buck beds are lower down the point and you see the rubs where the buck beds are and about 30 yards into the woods which I think is parallel trail marking during the rut.

I have known this point or bedding area and studied it for 3 years now. I have known about it since I was little but just started to study it and observe it putting up a stand on the field edge last year. This worked good I had 4 bucks come on the trails they were planned to come in on but were smaller. I repositioned a stand which is 30 yards off the field edge and made sure it was to the side of the point just enough that I could possibly sneak in with my wind going to the side of them. The stand is at a funnel too. Its just above a steep ravine and all the trails from the bedding area meet there. My plan is to have a mature buck use that trail that comes up above that dropoff and kill him before entering the field. Im no expert but I gotta learn somehow so thats my plan of attack for now.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:47 pm

This is my "plan" to kill a mature buck.

Blue dot=stand position

Red dots=known buck beds

Brown dots=doe beds usually several bed together it seems

Orange=trails I have observed that seem to be used all times of the year even now.

Center of field is highest elevation.

I would come in from the SW on a Southerly wind, I think a SE would be best wind which I think would have them bedded there. Hopefully Im to the side of them enough that they will not scent me. I dont know but I want to try it and see what happens. Only thing that stinks is that I can only hunt it once before they catch on but thats Beast hunting it seems if I want a mature buck.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Big hills, thats a good set up, and one I use often...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:26 am

OK, just for the sake of learning here......

When I first looked at Big Hill's drawing I thought, no way. Then I read his explanation where he talked of a SE wind. Any kind of a east wind is extremely rare down here, I was thinking SW. So, if it were to be a SW wind, I would assume the bedding might be reversed and on the east side of the point (all things being equal exept the wind)? And, if it were a north wind, there might be no bedding there at all?

If that were to be true, then instead of a buck "bed" you now have a Buck beddin "area" dependant on the wind? And you would still hunt it the same except stand location would be dependant on wind direction?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 am

Southern Man wrote:OK, just for the sake of learning here......

When I first looked at Big Hill's drawing I thought, no way. Then I read his explanation where he talked of a SE wind. Any kind of a east wind is extremely rare down here, I was thinking SW. So, if it were to be a SW wind, I would assume the bedding might be reversed and on the east side of the point (all things being equal exept the wind)? And, if it were a north wind, there might be no bedding there at all?

If that were to be true, then instead of a buck "bed" you now have a Buck beddin "area" dependant on the wind? And you would still hunt it the same except stand location would be dependant on wind direction?

You are right. The other stand I mentioned is on the other side of the point on the field edge. That was intentionally used for a NW wind. I know this sounds strange but I realized they bed there on a NW because the wind is coming over their back being on the Eastern or Southeastern side of the point. they can watch our 4-wheeler trail coming down into the woods too from that position. My uncle likes to use that trail walking to his stands. Thats my opinion anyways. When I had the NW wind my results were 4 bucks that came out right where I thought they should but the oldest was a 2.5 yr old 8 pointer. They obviously had the wind to their back. The stand I mentioned could work for a SW as well but there isnt the pinch point or funnel that I described so they could easily come out 50 yards away with much more trail options for them.

I have realized in the early season every once in a while we do get a SSE wind or a SE wind usually in the 5-10mph category. IDK why but it happens sometimes.

Now I need to find more options to hunt. Thanks guys.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 am

You could call it a buck bedding area. Dan and others have said bucks will move during the day to another spot on the point if the wind changes. I have yet to see this myself but it makes sense.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:13 am

I've really been studying this and trying to learn to hunt instead of relying on luck.

I posted this point in another thread of mine but wanted to add it here to add to this thread. Can you be less aggressive with the beast style? You might think why would you want to do that? Since I'm new to this style and haven't perfected it, I don't know how close I can close in and not be detected. I'm just learning this stuff and it's in the middle of our season so I don't have the luxury of scouting for beds and perfect setups in the off season...yet.

I marked some possible beds on this point and wind directions. There could actually be more with a straight east and straight west wind. The pink line is a steep cliff/bluff so theres no access from the bottom, only the top, and the west, east side. My only access is from the east. I would need a boat from the west and then have to go up a steep ravine and up the steep steep side of the hill, which would be noisy. My thoughts are to come in from the east, with any wind but east. Then I would setup higher on the adjacent hill and possibly catch him coming up to the top or toward my direction to the east. I am gun hunting as well so I feel I don't need to be 30 yrds away. Being less aggressive like this would it help prevent burning out the spot so fast since you aren't encroaching on the bedding area?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:48 am

checkerfred wrote:I've really been studying this and trying to learn to hunt instead of relying on luck.

I posted this point in another thread of mine but wanted to add it here to add to this thread. Can you be less aggressive with the beast style? You might think why would you want to do that? Since I'm new to this style and haven't perfected it, I don't know how close I can close in and not be detected. I'm just learning this stuff and it's in the middle of our season so I don't have the luxury of scouting for beds and perfect setups in the off season...yet.

I marked some possible beds on this point and wind directions. There could actually be more with a straight east and straight west wind. The pink line is a steep cliff/bluff so theres no access from the bottom, only the top, and the west, east side. My only access is from the east. I would need a boat from the west and then have to go up a steep ravine and up the steep steep side of the hill, which would be noisy. My thoughts are to come in from the east, with any wind but east. Then I would setup higher on the adjacent hill and possibly catch him coming up to the top or toward my direction to the east. I am gun hunting as well so I feel I don't need to be 30 yrds away. Being less aggressive like this would it help prevent burning out the spot so fast since you aren't encroaching on the bedding area?

I like your plan. Beast style isnt necessarily aggressive; it is hunting smart.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:11 am

Checker, if it were me, gun or bow would not matter, I would make one aggressive move. Once you hunt in the area the deer ( especially big mature bucks ) will know you have been there. I hunt to kill the 1st time in, or sit so far back watching that there is no, or very little chance. I would be set up on the top of the draw to the N.E. of the bedding with a N.W. wind.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 am

I've been burning up the ground around the house here pretty quick, but want to try and make the most of this spot when i go in. Don't have a mobile set-up other than steel sticks and hang on so i've been doing the ground style a lot lately. I know this spot is used and that i have to park up the ridge to avoid a full alert. On a s-sw wind i plan to slip in the yellow route, hook back to about where the yellow tracks stop and hopefully some milkweed will tell me what i can do from there. To the left and above those points is some 8-10 year regrowth and it is pretty thick. It's a bedding rich environment so we'll see. If i stay on the side of the ravine where the last yellow dot is i'm thinking the thermals may pull my scent up the way i came in. I hooked around like that and hunted the head of a valley once on a point and had that scenario turn into an awesome encounter (no kill). Thoughts?

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Where I hunt, the hills are pretty decent size. My observations tell me that big bucks stay as far away from people as possible. When I am looking for a bed I go to the first flat below the top and will hit every point and slight change in the flat that I see. The wind and thermals are most predictable and constant near the top. When I hunt these beds I go in straight from the bottom, up a drainage if possible, then set up. I always make sure I can see the trail I came in on. Don't want a deer picking up your ground scent around a point before you see it. I'm still struggling with how close I can get to these beds in hill country and seeing the buck before it gets dark.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”