Guesses for buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Guesses for buck bedding

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Where would you check if you were scouting this property this spring to cut down on time spent scouting this area? Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Guesses for buck bedding

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:55 am

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 pm

G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm

dan wrote:Image

I have[glow=red]A LOT[/glow] to learn!
Dan what is it that makes these features stand out to you for bedding?
I understand the points nearest the 1700, being the upwind side of that valley and also on a point. I noticed you also picked the steepest parts of the terrain for bedding locations. Is there a particular reason you like the steeper areas?
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Tim, I'm gonna add my two cents- I'm sure dan will chime in when able.

The bucks like to bed on the edge of the steeper areas for a number of reasons. When I kneel down and look down hill and across the valley in these beds it becomes apparent that the trees and vegetation drop away quicker and give the buck better vision down the hill and across the valley. The sharp drop provides a more direct route for daytime thermals to bring scent to the buck as well. It also makes the approach of a predator more difficult from downhill.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Tim, I'm gonna add my two cents- I'm sure dan will chime in when able.

The bucks like to bed on the edge of the steeper areas for a number of reasons. When I kneel down and look down hill and across the valley in these beds it becomes apparent that the trees and vegetation drop away quicker and give the buck better vision down the hill and across the valley. The sharp drop provides a more direct route for daytime thermals to bring scent to the buck as well. It also makes the approach of a predator more difficult from downhill.

:-) Thank You Scott. I am going to work hard trying to learn as much as possible about hill country deer before my next trip to SE Minnesota this fall. I am going to give it heck beast style out there.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm

So mature bucks generally will bed on all transition lines like dan marked? Not just transition lines in swamps/marsh? Even if that line is very quick to change like in this aerial where the oaks turn right to field? And do they usually bed right at the edge or just with a few yards off the edge? I know every deer is different and im sure ill catch on when i start finding some beds but so far since ive been using what i learn on the beast to find beds im never positive i just always feel like im guessing if what im looking at is a bed or not

Last edited by admiral04 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Also, a couple of these spots dan marked i hae set foot on and are very steep banks. Are the bucks going to bed 1/3 way down these steep banks or just lay on the edge at the top?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 pm

The areas I marked for you to scout along the edge of open cover, your going to find some bucks will bed about 10 yards into the thick area and watch the open area, wind to back out of the thick area. Its a classic type bed in farm land, but it occurs in other terrains too.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:09 pm

admiral04 wrote:Also, a couple of these spots dan marked i hae set foot on and are very steep banks. Are the bucks going to bed 1/3 way down these steep banks or just lay on the edge at the top?

The bucks are going to bed where they can get hit slightly from the wind going over the ridge, and also where the thermal current from below will hit them... The collision point of these two wind currents. Occasionally they also bed on benches 1/2 way up that really don't get the "wind" effect, just the thermal, but its in situations that would make it difficult for a predator to sneak in from above.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:40 am

dan wrote:
admiral04 wrote:Also, a couple of these spots dan marked i hae set foot on and are very steep banks. Are the bucks going to bed 1/3 way down these steep banks or just lay on the edge at the top?

The bucks are going to bed where they can get hit slightly from the wind going over the ridge, and also where the thermal current from below will hit them... The collision point of these two wind currents. Occasionally they also bed on benches 1/2 way up that really don't get the "wind" effect, just the thermal, but its in situations that would make it difficult for a predator to sneak in from above.
ok, thnx dan. So are you saying the the steepness of a bank doesnt make a difference? Just didn know if thy would come doen to find the "collision" reguardless of a very steep bank or not. I guess they What u doing?could get a flat spot near a tree but theyd have to enter/exit on a big angle if a threat came

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 am

In a lot of cases the point where the terrain drops off steep is the exact spot where the two currents collide.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Thnx dan!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”