Blue deer urine ?????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ONE UP

Blue deer urine ?????

Unread postby ONE UP » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Ive been out shed hunting/ scouting a few times this week and seeing a lot of what looks like blue urine. Anyone know the cause? Found tons of doe beds but no buck beds from what i could tell Image Image

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Blue deer urine ?????

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Seen it many times. It's from low growing trees that have berries that are blue. Usually find them eating those late in winter.

That tree that's right behind the skull pic looks like one of those trees. Check and see if you find them next time out.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
ONE UP

Unread postby ONE UP » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Spysar wrote:Seen it many times. It's from low growing trees that have berries that are blue. Usually find them eating those late in winter.

That would make sense. Lots of buckthorn around but I didnt think they ate the berries. I noticed they have been eating lots of juniper, cedar and dogwood.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Yep. They're going down to their least prefered food that will still keep them alive. They even start on yew bushes near people houses this time of year.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm

I have seen this before in wintering areas of deep cedar swamps. Thought maybe it was from eating cedars.

A few years back I posted a thread about this same exact thing but can't seem to find it right now. I will keep digging because I know I posted some pics as well.

Update..........

Here are the pics I was talking about. I guess this deer pee is more blue/green. This was found in or near bedding in cedars.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Dewey wrote:I have seen this before in wintering areas of deep cedar swamps. Thought maybe it was from eating cedars.

A few years back I posted a thread about this same exact thing but can't seem to find it right now. I will keep digging because I know I posted some pics as well.

I think I remember reading that post Dewey. A couple of years ago I found "Blue snow" on an island in the middle of a cattail marsh.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:56 pm

It's from buckthorn berries. I have heard that buckthorn berries are also a laxative and that's how a lot of the buckthorn gets spread around by birds.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 pm

Interesting Post. I have seen this before as well.
Always wondered what caused it. Buckthorn berries... :L:

Figured it was from to many blueberry pancakes.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Rubline wrote:Interesting Post. I have seen this before as well.
Always wondered what caused it. Buckthorn berries... :L:

Figured it was from to many blueberry pancakes.

My wife just made blueberry muffins. I'm gonna pee in the snow and see what happens!! :lol:

binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:00 pm

I've been finding a lot if green pee lately but I figured the neighbor was baiting with alphalpha pellets and that was the likely culprit. Never saw smurf pee before though.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Buckthorn berries are very bitter. They must be pretty hungry.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 am

Mountain Man wrote:It's from buckthorn berries. I have heard that buckthorn berries are also a laxative and that's how a lot of the buckthorn gets spread around by birds.

This statement is true. I worked for the MN Conservation Corps and was contracted by the DNR working extensively on Buckthorn removal projects. I hate the stuff. Not only is it exotic and invasive it cause anything that eats it have some digestive fun! The seed is viable in the soil for 7-10 years after it is deposited making it extremely hard o eradicate unless you really stay on top of it yearly and at a minimum remove all the seed plants to get it under control.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”