Bachelor groups and bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muskieman

Bachelor groups and bedding?

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am

I have always seen bachelor groups of bucks in summer through early fall together. They seem to come to the fields where you observe them together. My question is if they are all together, how close are they bedding together? It seems buck beds hold a buck so are these bucks bedded within sight of each other near a primary buck bed (the dominant buck in the bed with others near that area. Or are they using different beds and meeting up in common staging areas then entering the fields?
The reason I ask is I am actually at a loss for a answer. I was talking to a buddy this weekend while we were scouting. Found some great new buck beds off a field but the 4 we found were probably within a 1/2 square mile and this field always holds bachelor groups and they come to the field together everytime we see them...

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Bachelor groups and bedding?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 am

Don't know early season but have seen where (2) different bucks hooked back up late season and bedded with-in 20 yards of each other. Haven't seen it a bunch but more than once with differnt bucks in different areas.

Without snow would be hard to tell but know for a fact it was two bucks.

Have seen in the snow where a (one) buck up and moves to 2-5 different beds through out the day. Most times with-in a 10-30 yard area. To the untrained eye it could be guessed at muliple buck beds...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Have seen in the snow where a (one) buck up and moves to 2-5 different beds through out the day. Most times with-in a 10-30 yard area. To the untrained eye it could be guessed at muliple buck beds...
I have seen that too... You need to pay attention to the specific track to see if its the same buck or multiples.

As far as Bachelor groups and bedding, I have not witnessed a lot of it in summer, but what I have seen in summer, and what I have seen in winter tells me that they likely bed a little more vulnerable closer to food and somewhat like doe bedding, except bucks still tend to watch out for themselves more...
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 pm

This might be off subject? But a buddy swears that a buck will pee and poop in there beds and does will get up to go. Is there any truth to this?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 pm

gogebicbuckslayer wrote:This might be off subject? But a buddy swears that a buck will pee and poop in there beds and does will get up to go. Is there any truth to this?

They don't go laying down if thats what you mean? But bucks do go right in there beds. I have watched bucks rise and go right in there bed and have seen compressed poop in beds where they laid in it later.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm

That's what I meant Dan thanks

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:32 am

I found "bachelor" buck bedding this winter. But what I observed through really looking at the tracks is that they bed together during the day and then at night seem to go their seperate ways.

I kicked up a group of 4 bucks this winter. Beds were close to the top 1/3 even higher. They were bedded on a horizontal line on a small bench about 5 yards apart from bed to bed. The tracks coming to the beds came from different directions which I thought was interesting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”