How do you define public land?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

How do you define public land?

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm

We hear a lot about where guys shot their deer: public or private.

I have some areas that I hunt that are owned by an individual but it's not posted and anyone can hunt it. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. I consider that public land. If it's land that I have to get verbal or written permission on from the landowner, I consider it private.

How do you define public and private?

Brad

Re: How do you define public land?

Unread postby Brad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:00 pm

To me if anyone can legally hunt it without asking I call it public regardless of who owns it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 pm

land open to the public...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:44 pm

First come first served for all.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

State WMA, state park, state forest, water shed property, etc... Any where that is open to the public even if it requires a special permit it's public in my mind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:00 pm

To me, public is state owned.

I know in some states that if private landowners do not put up signs every so far apart on their property line, people are allowed to hunt it. Still private in my eyes, but with everybody being able to hunt it, then probably agree that it is "public access".

Private land in Iowa does not have to be posted with no trespassing signs, so it is the responsibility of the hunter to know who owns the ground they are hunting.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Public access.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:To me if anyone can legally hunt it without asking I call it public regardless of who owns it.

This is how I would define it too
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 pm

If it is government owned or leased and open to hunting then its public otherwise it's private you have permission to be on (hopefully). I can't tell you how many times I have found out about private land that was "known" to be "open to the public" that wasn't. Upon further investigation I have found out it was not open to anyone. The land owners either were from out of town (often from out of state) or they just gave up trying to keep trespassers off. In most cases the trespassers were referred to by the landowner as "hunters" and/or "fisherman". If it's truly private open to the public it is likely leased and listed as a open to public hunting and/or fishing and/or hiking, etc, by the government.

If I was to come across private land that the owner didn't care who went on it, but was not listed or posted as open to the public, I would count any deer I took off that property as a private land kill.

Sometimes if you ask permission for these properties you will get it even though the owner doesn't want anybody on their property. Then they are the trespassers and your legal. Like one landowner told me, "I don't want anybody out there but since everyone else dose, go ahead."
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 am

UntouchableNess wrote:To me, public is state owned.

[glow=red]I know in some states that if private landowners do not put up signs every so far apart on their property line, people are allowed to hunt it.[/glow] Still private in my eyes, but with everybody being able to hunt it, then probably agree that it is "public access".

Private land in Iowa does not have to be posted with no trespassing signs, so it is the responsibility of the hunter to know who owns the ground they are hunting.

This is the case for NH

MilkWeedSeed post is what I relate to public land...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 am

public access
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:04 am

Just because land isn't posted, DOES NOT make it public.....Even in Maine and NH, where it's not posted and you can legally hunt it, DOES NOT make it public.....Public land is owned by the states or it's federal. It's kind of like the difference between rights, and privledges.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:25 am

Spysar wrote:Just because land isn't posted, DOES NOT make it public.....Even in Maine and NH, where it's not posted and you can legally hunt it, DOES NOT make it public.....Public land is owned by the states or it's federal. It's kind of like the difference between rights, and privledges.

The intent of my original post was not to define the politically correct definition of "public" and "private". I see a lot of guys throwing the terms around when they post a kill, especially in the kill zone so I just wanted to get everyone's subjective definition to try to relate more to their hunt. Now I know when you post a "public land" kill, that it is on 100% government-owned land.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 am

[tab=30]
Brad Lamont wrote:To me if anyone can legally hunt it without asking I call it public regardless of who owns it.

Thats a good way to get a trespassing ticket in WI.Land can be leased or change owners weeks before seasons start.I personally would never step foot on land without owner permission.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 am

Public land= county, state or federal land open to public hunting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”