B&C 2010-2012

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
xpauliber
500 Club

Re: B&C 2010-2012

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:10 am

So if I'm reading those statistics correctly, Wisconsin has led the nation in B&C entries for the past 6 years and has a much larger number of hunters compared to other neighboring states (except for maybe Michigan). How then, can Wisconsin constantly keep producing this amount of GIANT bucks?? Is there that much private land that the bucks have places to get old?

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 am

Knute78 wrote:Not to jack the thread but I am always a little hesitant on reading into these #'s. How many of us know at least one guy if not 3 to 5 guys that shoot nice bucks at least once every few years and they simply do not get them officially measured and enter them. i am speaking of Pope and Young as well. I have a handful of friends that simply do not care to get their name in a book. I wonder how those #s would statistically change the rankings if at all.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree. But there are guys in all states that do that. One would think that Wisconsin has even more guys that don't enter bucks since they have so many more hunters in the woods that most states.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:21 am

xpauliber wrote:So if I'm reading those statistics correctly, Wisconsin has led the nation in B&C entries for the past 6 years and has a much larger number of hunters compared to other neighboring states (except for maybe Michigan). How then, can Wisconsin constantly keep producing this amount of GIANT bucks?? Is there that much private land that the bucks have places to get old?

We have more cover than any other state.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 am

Iowa may be on the decline, but you still have a better chance for a B&C than in Wisconsin IMO because Iowa is getting those numbers with 5.9 times less forested acres.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:34 am

Don't let anyone fool you. Iowa Is something. While In Iowa last year I drove around with cornfedkiller on here for 45 minutes an hour before dark during the full moon and we saw 100 or so 125 Inch bucks. To this day I still can't believe what we saw. A good 1/3 of the state of Iowa doesn't have that good of hunting either (no cover, just fields). That just tells you how good the rest of the state Is. My bet Is not many gun hunters enter their bucks In the B&C book.

While bow hunting Iowa last year In a different zone then our drive around I saw one booner In the 6 days I was there. I saw probably thirty 125 to 150 Inch bucks. I passed on 12 bucks ranging from 125 to 140 Inches.

I can't wait to hunt Iowa again!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Iowa may be on the decline, but you still have a better chance for a B&C than in Wisconsin IMO because Iowa is getting those numbers with 5.9 times less forested acres.

I think some of the difference, in my opinion, Wisconsin has more hills, ditches, swamps. Rougher ground, lets some bucks survive longer. A flat land hunter going into the hills is much harder for the hunter, than a hills land hunter going into flat land. I know I'm better in the flat lands than I am in the hills and I hunt both.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 am

Casper wrote:
xpauliber wrote:So if I'm reading those statistics correctly, Wisconsin has led the nation in B&C entries for the past 6 years and has a much larger number of hunters compared to other neighboring states (except for maybe Michigan). How then, can Wisconsin constantly keep producing this amount of GIANT bucks?? Is there that much private land that the bucks have places to get old?

Absolutely a factor.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 am

Stanley wrote:
Casper wrote:

Absolutely a factor.

X 3 , I have always felt the lower 2/3 of Wisconsin has an ideal mix of agriculture and forested land, mix in the bluffs/semi rolling terrain and you have the ingredients for big bucks and also allows the land to have a higher carrying capacity for hunters than other types of terrain.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am

Schultzy wrote:Don't let anyone fool you. Iowa Is something. While In Iowa last year I drove around with cornfedkiller on here for 45 minutes an hour before dark during the full moon and we saw 100 or so 125 Inch bucks. To this day I still can't believe what we saw. A good 1/3 of the state of Iowa doesn't have that good of hunting either (no cover, just fields). That just tells you how good the rest of the state Is. My bet Is not many gun hunters enter their bucks In the B&C book.

While bow hunting Iowa last year In a different zone then our drive around I saw one booner In the 6 days I was there. I saw probably thirty 125 to 150 Inch bucks. I passed on 12 bucks ranging from 125 to 140 Inches.

What type of hunt was this? Guided, Unguided, public, private?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 am

The single most important factor in growing trophy deer is management. There are a few that grow old because they outsmart hunters but the majority grow old because people let them grow old. It has little to do with cover or terrian. When I started hunting almost every deer shot was 1 1/2 or younger. You were considered a fool if you let a spike buck walk.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 am

Schultzy wrote:Don't let anyone fool you. Iowa Is something. While In Iowa last year I drove around with cornfedkiller on here for 45 minutes an hour before dark during the full moon and we saw 100 or so 125 Inch bucks. To this day I still can't believe what we saw. A good 1/3 of the state of Iowa doesn't have that good of hunting either (no cover, just fields). That just tells you how good the rest of the state Is. My bet Is not many gun hunters enter their bucks In the B&C book.

Iowa is great. That's why I moved here, and I'm really glad you got to experience it Schultzy. Some areas of Iowa are better than others, just like in Wisconsin or Minnesota. If you get into the right area it can be some of the best hunting you could ever dream of. However, if you don't do your homework, you can be in for a rude awakening because Iowa is not like you see on TV.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 am

Remember, this thread is about booners, not just "shooter bucks"... I think most Booners get entered... Some don't. But thats probably pretty equal across the board.
Everyone is screaming Iowa, yea, and I like hunting there too... But Stan is right, for the most part, I don't think Iowa is the place to go if your looking for a "world record" or a booner... Is it a possibility? Yep... But, when we are talking true booners that net score in the books, it takes more than age to grow them...

I would say if your after a P&Y buck, Iowa should certainly be a destination considered. Some of my sits in Iowa I passed and seen so many P&Y class bucks it was unreal... However, I see a lot of mature bucks in Iowa and only a handful would make B&C...
I have hunted both N.E. Iowa and S.W. Iowa multiple times and have noticed average mature bucks 5 or older score around 150... Where I live in Wisconsin the average 5 y/o or older buck scores probably around 170... But, there ain't a lot that make it to 5 here, but there are a lot in some areas of Iowa...
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 am

dan wrote:Remember, this thread is about booners, not just "shooter bucks"... I think most Booners get entered... Some don't. But thats probably pretty equal across the board.
Everyone is screaming Iowa, yea, and I like hunting there too... But Stan is right, for the most part, I don't think Iowa is the place to go if your looking for a "world record" or a booner... Is it a possibility? Yep... But, when we are talking true booners that net score in the books, it takes more than age to grow them...

I would say if your after a P&Y buck, Iowa should certainly be a destination considered. Some of my sits in Iowa I passed and seen so many P&Y class bucks it was unreal... However, I see a lot of mature bucks in Iowa and only a handful would make B&C...
I have hunted both N.E. Iowa and S.W. Iowa multiple times and have noticed average mature bucks 5 or older score around 150... Where I live in Wisconsin the average 5 y/o or older buck scores probably around 170... But, there ain't a lot that make it to 5 here, but there are a lot in some areas of Iowa...

I hunt Eastern Iowa and I have never gotten a booner on camera, and I have only seen a handful during the Summer, never while hunting. I would agree with Dan for my region. There are a lot of PYs, but not a lot of booners. For example, I just found sheds off of two different 6 yr old bucks and they would only gross 130. However, if you go to the Iowa Deer Classic you will have your mind blown by the size and number of booners killed in Iowa. :shock:
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 am

Haus86 wrote:I hunt Eastern Iowa and I have never gotten a booner on camera, and I have only seen a handful during the Summer, never while hunting.

I've gotten maybe a couple of booners on camera in eastern Iowa, but have only seen 2 while hunting in the last 25 years. I passed a shot on one, missed the other. :shock:

What few BIG deer I get on camera are nocturnal, never to be seen during the light of day.

Booner deer in Iowa are spotty, found in only certain areas.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 pm

It has a lot to do with how a state structures its gun deer season. And whether rifles are allowed.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”