The J Hook

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phade
500 Club

The J Hook

Unread postby phade » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:47 am

I think most everyone here knows about and has an opinion/experience, etc., with the J-Hook theory of bucks visiting scrapes and/or doe bedding spots.

Interested to see what people here have experienced and also what/if any experience specifically with marshes and ag.

I've seen J-hooks before in ag, but imo it hasn't been consistent to call it a hard rule as I've seen too many straight crosswind approaches that didn't involve a J-hook.

Anyone witness scrape approaches in marsh land?

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: The J Hook

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:46 am

I thought you were going to talk about the J hook theory bucks make to get back to their bed in the morning.

Personally I have never witnessed a J hook when I have seen bucks go to scrapes however most were younger bucks. I remember one mature 8 pointer come right in to the scrape with wind to his back. My dad has seen the same thing. Maybe its because of lower pressure but I think there is enough pressure that they would J hook it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 am

The only "J-hooking" I have observed has been in the mornings going to bed... I have always had straight line travel to scrapes or adjacent to scrapes and doe bedding.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:14 am

I don't read a lot of magazines or watch hunting videos. So I am not sure what you are talking about in a j hook. Could you explain what and how a j hook works for my benefit and those that really don't know what a j hook is.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:19 am

Yeah, I thought this would be a bit different than the J hook to bed topic by seeing what the discussion was related to doe bedding and scrapes. I've seen more straightline approaches as noted, but I do recall a few times where I saw J-hook travel to a scrape.

I bring this up because a new parcel appears to have had regular J Hook travel to a scrape based on scouting and game cams from the prior owner.

I think Bill Vale talks about it a bit in his book and has youtube videos up on it.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 am

I watched a 4yr buck J hook a feeding source with scrapes... when he got to the end of J instead of committing and heading into the field edge scrapes he bedded down in marsh grass/dogwood and waited until dark. He scent checked the field edge but not in parallel trail fashion where I could have shot him. Smart old bugger
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Local (typically mature) deer that have an idea of what pressure is and that it may be there
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 am

Stanley wrote:I don't read a lot of magazines or watch hunting videos. So I am not sure what you are talking about in a j hook. Could you explain what and how a j hook works for my benefit and those that really don't know what a j hook is.

X2

I think I know but I've never heard the term before.
But, the bucks I've seen checking bedding areas have no problem barging right in. Younger bucks are running everywhere and don't seem to care what direction they're traveling when around the does. The more mature bucks I've seen seem to almost always be in a travel position of security when coming around the does, but I have seen a fair amount that seem they couldn't care less about security and barge right in, if they aren't already with the does at daylight.

I do tend to see more larger bucks on the downwind side of doe bedding during rut.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm

J hook explanation on checking scrapes

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ds_OpBErTo[/bbvideo]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Not knocking the guy... But I have hunted 9 states and have not seen Any evidence of this, and a few of my bucks were shot over scrapes... I discussed this with Andrae too... He said he has not seen it with any reliable pattern either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”