Do any of you lap your scope rings on your deer rifle?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Do any of you lap your scope rings on your deer rifle?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:16 am

thanks Southern, I'll study up a bit more before I check a set of Ruger Rings. I have to pull a red dot and put something back on.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 am

Uncle Lou wrote:thanks Southern, I'll study up a bit more before I check a set of Ruger Rings. I have to pull a red dot and put something back on.

SouternMan is correct...

Heres an example of a Lap I use while building molds.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?P ... rchResults

The compound...
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?P ... rchResults
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Southern Man wrote:Lapping is a process to remove material to make a smooth, flat, unpolished surface to get a desired measurment or surface finish. It's used quite a bit in mold making I believe. It's machinist related but is done on glass and ceramics too.

As far as lapping scope rings, I made my own tool...

:D Just kidding :D
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 am

Uncle Lou wrote:thanks Southern, I'll study up a bit more before I check a set of Ruger Rings. I have to pull a red dot and put something back on.

Lou, If you take a 1" wooden dowel, wrap it with some fine emory cloth, put it in your rings as if you were mounting a scope (don't tighten, just snug it so the dowel will turn), and twist it a few times, it will scratch the iside of the rings. If the rings are not true inline that will show by the scratches or the absense of scratches on the rings. If the scratches are even on the inside of the rings, your setup should be good. Just a way to check your rings.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:20 am

My opinion on lapping is based on what you are doing/shooting with the rifle. For midwest whitetail rifles that will never see a shot realistically beyond 200 yards I don't see any great value in the process unless you are buying really cheap scope mounts/parts. Even then the cost of the proper lapping equipment would outweigh the cost of quality scope rings.

Lapping has become more of a practice due to the long ranges that hunters are shooting out west. We are talking about shots beyond 600,700 yards and more.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:16 am

James wrote:My opinion on lapping is based on what you are doing/shooting with the rifle. For midwest whitetail rifles that will never see a shot realistically beyond 200 yards I don't see any great value in the process unless you are buying really cheap scope mounts/parts. Even then the cost of the proper lapping equipment would outweigh the cost of quality scope rings.

Lapping has become more of a practice due to the long ranges that hunters are shooting out west. We are talking about shots beyond 600,700 yards and more.

Perhaps, but I broke down and ordered a Wheeler Lapping Kit for 1" Scopes today ($50). I figure if it's worth doing it's worth doing right.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:41 am

Clevinger wrote:
James wrote:My opinion on lapping is based on what you are doing/shooting with the rifle. For midwest whitetail rifles that will never see a shot realistically beyond 200 yards I don't see any great value in the process unless you are buying really cheap scope mounts/parts. Even then the cost of the proper lapping equipment would outweigh the cost of quality scope rings.

Perhaps, but I broke down and ordered a Wheeler Lapping Kit for 1" Scopes today ($50). I figure if it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

I agree. What I did might not show up in my shooting ability, but if you're going to do something, do it right. Or at least do it the best you can. I figure if you eliminate as many potential problems as you can, if can only help. Besides, I enjoy foolin around with stuff like that.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”