How should i setup on these beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

How should i setup on these beds?

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:09 am

Toward the end of fall between our bow and gun season i went and checked out a little swamp ive been curious about. The only buck bedding i found was 3 beds all within 150yds of the truck and the beds were all roughly about 50 yds apart. Each seemed to be very heavily used. Heavy trails in and out, a good rub in each and the ground was just matted down. This is all i know. I dont know how big a buck or where hes feeding. Also, very limited on where to setup and the only access is from the road to the north(which is where i was parked near small building). This may not be a real big buck but feel it would be a good chance for me to practice hunting a bed. Are there different beds for different winds or multiple bucks using this area? I thought they used wind direction less in swamps and whats do you folks advise my plan of attack to be? Wind direction, stand location, parking etc. just looking to see if my plans match up to you more experienced bed hunters Image Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

admiral04

Re: How should i setup on these beds?

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 am

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 am

I dont know how big a buck

How high were center of the rubs at the beds?

or where hes feeding.

Looks to me, based on trails I can see in your pictures that the buck was heading East towards the field to the right you can only see in the second picture. Diod you look at the trails and sign coming and going to the beds?

Also, very limited on where to setup and the only access is from the road to the north(which is where i was parked near small building).

I would not doubt at all that the buck is expecting trouble to come down the obvious trail from the buildings. I would likely walk the road or field down to the East side and circle in to set up from over there.. Just remember, that if the deer was heading that way do to a certain crop, or biannual food, he might not be there this year if the food is changed because of crop rotation or plant cycle.
This may not be a real big buck but feel it would be a good chance for me to practice hunting a bed. Are there different beds for different winds or multiple bucks using this area? I thought they used wind direction less in swamps

He might only be there on a West or North west wind if he is paranoid of the access trail and bedding to wind it. But, he might be using those beds on any wind. I think I would hunt it on a N.West wind just to be sure. At least the 1st time.
and whats do you folks advise my plan of attack to be? Wind direction, stand location, parking etc. just looking to see if my plans

I highlighted what appears to be deer trails coming from the beds in red... the blue dot is the stand, or more likely, the ground blind position.
Last edited by dan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed N.East to N. West
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Dan, the rub in the center bed was very low like he was rubbing while laying down and fromthat bed i could see very lttle, however, it seemed to me to be the most heavily used bed. As for the other 2 beds the center o the rubs were probably belly button high(im 5'11") if that helps. I did follow one of the deer trails you highlighted throughthat cattails and kicked up a group of doe( id guess it at 100yds from the buck bed. When you setup on the ground are you sitting in the cattails and cutting a shootin la es to the path or how are you going about this?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Take a look at this picture of a buck bedding scenario... Red dot is where the buck is bedded. You can see his exit trail in the cattails. During the summer you cut cattails to make a hunting spot at the pink dot... You cut two windows to shoot the trail (yellow) 1st window is small and just to glimpse the buck so you can decide if he is a shooter and draw before he hits window #2..

By having the buck pass you before you have a shot he is less likely to look back and see you and will be quartering away.

admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:47 pm

Thnx dan!

moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 am

Dan

Why couldn't that same blind location be hunted on a s or w wind? Wouldn't that ensure that scent isn't being blown into bedding? I am learning and curious because the NE wind you suggested is not what I would have expected based on bed and food source locations.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:10 am

moog5050 wrote:Dan

Why couldn't that same blind location be hunted on a s or w wind? Wouldn't that ensure that scent isn't being blown into bedding? I am learning and curious because the NE wind you suggested is not what I would have expected based on bed and food source locations.

You are correct, I meant to say N.West... You could indeed hunt it on a South or West wind, but as I mentioned the buck "might" only be bedding there with a N.W. wind... So hunting there on a south wind might be educating the deer with your scent when really there is low chance of killing it.
Without looking at the beds myself, I can't say for certain that they are not wind specific. One thing is for sure, they would bed there on N.W. So that would be my 1st hunt based on what we know.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks Dan. I understand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”