Buck Staging Areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Buck Staging Areas

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:15 pm

BTW I forgot to mention that NW wind bed is on the SE corner of the field about 300 yards from where the other 2 stands I drew are.

binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:46 am

dan wrote:Only you can determine "EXACTLY" where to set your stand... If you drew North as the top of your drawing, I would expect best times to hunt this spot to be on winds from the South... Not the North

With South winds are you hoping to be just to the side of the wind a buck would be checking as he heads towards the field, thus giving sense of security? I would think a South wind would blow into the bedding in that drawing. Trying to learn some stuff- great thread.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 am

binney59 wrote:
dan wrote:Only you can determine "EXACTLY" where to set your stand... If you drew North as the top of your drawing, I would expect best times to hunt this spot to be on winds from the South... Not the North

With South winds are you hoping to be just to the side of the wind a buck would be checking as he heads towards the field, thus giving sense of security? [glow=red]I would think a South wind would blow into the bedding in that drawing.[/glow] Trying to learn some stuff- great thread.

Thats exactly why the buck would bed there on a south wind... Sure some bucks, mostly young ones, break the rules occasionally. But mature bucks survive by making great bedding choices...
If you don't have our hill country DVD, I would suggest buying it.

Here is a sketch of how you play the wind on a bedding point.
Red dot is bedded buck, red line is his travel rought. Grape dot is hunting position for a N.N.East wind. Gold dot is hunting position for a N.N.West wind. Matching colored arrows show access to stands.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:57 pm

binney59 wrote:

With South winds are you hoping to be just to the side of the wind a buck would be checking as he heads towards the field, thus giving sense of security? I would think a South wind would blow into the bedding in that drawing. Trying to learn some stuff- great thread.

You are right on to my thinking. With the early evening thermals my scent would be going above the beds anyways because I would be higher elevation from the beds. However the tricky part comes when the thermals drop but the way I have it planned as of right now is to hunt the far left or West bed on a South or SE wind. Preferably SE because it would be at his back and he could look down below for danger. The stand would be setup at a pinch point but to the West of the trail Im assuming he uses so a South or SE wind would be my wind to hunt him. It sounds great on paper but who knows what will happen when I get out there.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Again great post Dan. That is the kind of thought process I had in mind to hunt this buck on a SE wind which will just be off enough to give him sense of security yet will not smell me. He will also be in the bed that works most favorably for him. Its playing the wind really tight basically.

I would think playing the wind tight as I call it would be the only way to kill some bucks in daylight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”