"Beast style" negativity

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

strutnrut716
500 Club

Re: "Beast style" negativity

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:54 am

tgreeno wrote:I would consider myself a closet beast. I don't talk to anyone about what is discuss on here. My wife knows the forum "I'm obsessed with". But other than that, I keep my tactics to myself. No sense "informing" others who may infringe into some of my spots. I just let everyone else sit in their same spots year after year.

Truth is...I really have yet to be successful hunting this way. I'm sure if I started stacking up big bucks, people would start asking more questions.

X2 tgreeno ! Ive gone way too many years doing things "the old way"... I'm confident it will happen for us ! Its only a matter of time !!

d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 am

dan wrote:Believe it or not, S.E. Wisc is a lot like that. You really need to find the over looked pockets. If there is mature bucks, there are spots they are living and hiding right under everyones nose.

I agree with you that they like to hide right under our noses! Some of the deer I see in suburban areas in SE Michigan blow my mind!

My spring scouting this year I put some miles in on public land and found some good sign, but i don't know that any of it was necessarily in an 'overlooked' pocket. I think that was my mistake right out of the gate, and something i'll key in on for next season. But I have been seeing deer at the public land spots i've scouted, which is rewarding, though no shooters yet (well, except that one doe that blew on me - lol!), so I must be on the right track.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 am

I have talked about this hunting style with my dad, showed him the buck line up, and got him to watch the public land stuff on midwest whitetail. All I got out of him was that everybody was lying about being on public, and was hunting over bait or food plots. End of talking about this stuff.

I don't believe he was negative about this style of hunting. I think too many people have stuff engraved in their brains on HOW to do something, and have tunnel vision, failing to see everything around them. For me, its to the point where I do what I can with what I am given right now. I don't have the luxury of hunting where I want. I don't have the luxury of having a lot of time to hunt during the season, or anytime during the spring to scout properly. Most people don't see that deer hunting is really a year round thing, or at least 3/4 of the year (not the biggest believer in summer scouting at the moment). Which is fine by me. Everybody can do what they please, but its no coincidence that the guys who see the most success here are the guys who have the most hours and miles logged into their hunting season and preparation.

Knowing my limits, especially for this season, I am simply trying to prepare myself for the future. Forcing myself to use my hang on and sticks every hunt even though most spots I have hunted I don't really need it. Instead of staying around the cabin drinking beer until 4pm for an evening hunt, I try to get dropped off at 11 or 12 to scout my way back to a spot I want to hunt. I am not optimistic I will see success bowhunting this year because I don't have the preparation for it, or the hours to just pound it out and hunt hard. But I know at the end of the year, I will be closer to success because I am learning things that will prove vital in the future. Reading aerials and topos and then walking through the woods to understand how things work in real life, for example.

Everybody I hunt with only goes out and hunts. They do very little scouting, because in their mind they feel their best odds to shoot a deer are by sitting on their stand and waiting it out. In all honesty, I feel I have better chances carrying my bow, stand and sticks with me all day, every day of the season and maybe hunting one evening on the best sign I find. A lot of hunters just don't see that, and see hunting as scout first, hunt second.

Magicman had a couple really good posts that really got me thinking for a couple days regarding bigwoods bowhunting. He talked about some of his friends scouting until they had fresh sign, then going in and killing the buck. Kind of made me look at how I have been hunting, and it showed me that my best encounters were the ones when I hunted fresh sign. My worst hunts were in areas that once were good and had lots of old sign. I scout with my dad and he sees all the rubs and wants to hunt it. I see the same rubs and see they are all weeks old. We hunt it anyways, and see nothing. I was fairly certain of that going in, but just had to see it with my own eyes first.

So really, I don't think that the beast style of hunting has any negativity behind it. The negativity is people not seeing the bigger picture and connecting the dots. This stuff isn't rocket science to me. It makes sense, but it didn't until I opened my eyes and saw what I had been missing and ignoring.

I'd love for my dad to agree on this style of hunting. But reality is, he won't. Which is too bad, but then again, maybe I will be better off really hunting the way I want, and once I graduate, moving to an area where I will have the land I want to roam. Until then, its just preparing myself now for the work I will have to do later, and doing what I can now. Researching properties, cyber scouting, and getting the fundamentals down. Getting in shape, being comfortable with the stand and sticks, improving my mental toughness regarding hunting. Keeping eyes on the prize.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 am

I have a new perspective to deer hunting after learning about the beast this past fall, winter and summer. All the podcasts I listen about Dan and other beast members is eye opening.

It is interesting seeing all my faults as a hunter in the past. I try to keep it hush hush only for one friend I can trust about the beast. Better to be under the radar and be a beast! :D
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 pm

I think we have all read a magazine article that says you need to hunt 100 yards or so back in the woods from a crop field because the bucks show up to the field after dark yada yada yada.
Of course I tried all that and everything else I read. Looking back a lot of that stuff is pretty vague.
The first buck I killed off a bed in 2009 was by accident.
The buck came into a persimmon tree from a direction I did not expect. I got lucky and remembered my dad telling me about a buck bed in the direction the buck came from. I went and checked the bed and it was obvious it had been seeing regular use and it was around 100 yards from my stand.
I connected some serious dots that day.
I attempted to purposely kill a buck by being within 100 yards of its bed in 2010 and did it. I knew I was on to something.
Even before I found this site I was telling people they needed to be within 100 yards of a bucks bed. I was always met with skepticism, eye rolls, doubt that I could pull it off. I rarely bring it up anymore, and have never told anyone about this site.
:violence-bowandarrow:
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Whenever I discuss tactics and mention "buck bed", I usually get a "huh". I am surprised the number of people do not know how buck beds work. I also get kinda laughed at when I tell of stories I learned from Dan and a few others on here who set up their stands less than 10 feet up on a tree and kill big bucks. I told a handful of guys to come and join the forum here and see for themselves. None of them have yet.

X2 I get the same response
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Killtree wrote:I think we have all read a magazine article that says you need to hunt 100 yards or so back in the woods from a crop field because the bucks show up to the field after dark yada yada yada.
Of course I tried all that and everything else I read. Looking back a lot of that stuff is pretty vague.
The first buck I killed off a bed in 2009 was by accident.
The buck came into a persimmon tree from a direction I did not expect. I got lucky and remembered my dad telling me about a buck bed in the direction the buck came from. I went and checked the bed and it was obvious it had been seeing regular use and it was around 100 yards from my stand.
I connected some serious dots that day.
I attempted to purposely kill a buck by being within 100 yards of its bed in 2010 and did it. I knew I was on to something.
Even before I found this site I was telling people they needed to be within 100 yards of a bucks bed. I was always met with skepticism, eye rolls, doubt that I could pull it off. I rarely bring it up anymore, and have never told anyone about this site.

Pretty close to my same transition into hunting buck beds. I had kind of figured out that to kill a good buck I had to know where he was bedded, problem was I still didn't know exactly why they bedded in a spot. Never dawned on me it was based on the wind :lol: After really digging into the info on here it was like someone slapped me in the head! Last year was my first season really targeting specific beds and I connected on the second hunt of the year. This year I did it again on the third sit in an area. Not bragging at all, it's all because of the knowledge freely shared here. I have tried to pass the into along to others but it seems to fall on deaf ears and blank stares :think: I think guys are so used to hearing that they can't pressure deer they simply sit too far back and are out of the game completely 98% of the time.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 pm

There is one way to silence the "negativity". I think you know what I am referring to. I just went to the beast style last year. Never did I see as many deer as last year , and most importantly, never did I have so much fun. New stand location every different hunt, and learning so much.

I can't wait to start stacking some bucks up and then have them asking what I am doing different. It gives me that little chip on my shoulder and makes me want to work harder to prove them wrong (Aaron Rodgers style)!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:04 pm

I have a couple buddies I've tried to get on board but to them there are only 2 ways to be successful. Plant a food plot and use as much scent eliminating crap as possible.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 pm

The best way to teach someone is thru example... When the big bucks start piling up to the point people can no longer dismiss it as luck, they will come to you asking for ideas...
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:25 am

Yes I agree Dan. That's why I always point them to you as an example instead of me. :D
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Jonny wrote:I have talked about this hunting style with my dad, showed him the buck line up, and got him to watch the public land stuff on midwest whitetail. All I got out of him was that everybody was lying about being on public, and was hunting over bait or food plots. End of talking about this stuff.

I don't believe he was negative about this style of hunting. I think too many people have stuff engraved in their brains on HOW to do something, and have tunnel vision, failing to see everything around them. For me, its to the point where I do what I can with what I am given right now. I don't have the luxury of hunting where I want. I don't have the luxury of having a lot of time to hunt during the season, or anytime during the spring to scout properly. Most people don't see that deer hunting is really a year round thing, or at least 3/4 of the year (not the biggest believer in summer scouting at the moment). Which is fine by me. Everybody can do what they please, but its no coincidence that the guys who see the most success here are the guys who have the most hours and miles logged into their hunting season and preparation.

Knowing my limits, especially for this season, I am simply trying to prepare myself for the future. Forcing myself to use my hang on and sticks every hunt even though most spots I have hunted I don't really need it. Instead of staying around the cabin drinking beer until 4pm for an evening hunt, I try to get dropped off at 11 or 12 to scout my way back to a spot I want to hunt. I am not optimistic I will see success bowhunting this year because I don't have the preparation for it, or the hours to just pound it out and hunt hard. But I know at the end of the year, I will be closer to success because I am learning things that will prove vital in the future. Reading aerials and topos and then walking through the woods to understand how things work in real life, for example.

Everybody I hunt with only goes out and hunts. They do very little scouting, because in their mind they feel their best odds to shoot a deer are by sitting on their stand and waiting it out. In all honesty, I feel I have better chances carrying my bow, stand and sticks with me all day, every day of the season and maybe hunting one evening on the best sign I find. A lot of hunters just don't see that, and see hunting as scout first, hunt second.

Magicman had a couple really good posts that really got me thinking for a couple days regarding bigwoods bowhunting. He talked about some of his friends scouting until they had fresh sign, then going in and killing the buck. Kind of made me look at how I have been hunting, and it showed me that my best encounters were the ones when I hunted fresh sign. My worst hunts were in areas that once were good and had lots of old sign. I scout with my dad and he sees all the rubs and wants to hunt it. I see the same rubs and see they are all weeks old. We hunt it anyways, and see nothing. I was fairly certain of that going in, but just had to see it with my own eyes first.

So really, I don't think that the beast style of hunting has any negativity behind it. The negativity is people not seeing the bigger picture and connecting the dots. This stuff isn't rocket science to me. It makes sense, but it didn't until I opened my eyes and saw what I had been missing and ignoring.

I'd love for my dad to agree on this style of hunting. But reality is, he won't. Which is too bad, but then again, maybe I will be better off really hunting the way I want, and once I graduate, moving to an area where I will have the land I want to roam. Until then, its just preparing myself now for the work I will have to do later, and doing what I can now. Researching properties, cyber scouting, and getting the fundamentals down. Getting in shape, being comfortable with the stand and sticks, improving my mental toughness regarding hunting. Keeping eyes on the prize.

I'm in the same situation with a good freind.... dosent belive in how I hunt but also gets upset when I kill a good buck in the same area . Sooner or later the light will come on... you can lead a blind horse to water but you can't make them drink
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 pm

I believe there is a lot of hunters, who the light will never come on... I know several gun hunters, who spend many days afield every season with a scoped rifle and other than afew dinks they have nothing after 15 years of hunting. At the end of every season I here the same list of excuses year after year. And still they refuse to change and continue to hunt the same stand the same way. I'm also convinced a high percentage of hunters head to there stand every hunt looking for a reason to leave. They might have a great spot and just never give it a chance to work. Yet they seem to talk trash when someone else gets a nice buck, or start rumors of foul play.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Kind of the same life principle to live by.

Let your actions speak louder than your words.
PassThrew

Unread postby PassThrew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 am

I don't think it's negativity as much as it is people looking at the intensity of the style. Being a newbie to the site, I see things I used to do pretty clearly still, and it makes me think most people just "don't know what they don't know". Ignorance is bliss to some I guess....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”