How many bucks did you pass up this year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How many bucks did you pass up?

7%
1-5
30%
6-10
25%
11-15
10%
15-20
7%
20+
22%

Total votes: 60
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: How many bucks did you pass up this year?

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:08 pm

I chose 1-5...If I really think about it I think I passed 3 bucks that were nice bucks, and 1 I would have shot but passed because of a bad shot and camera light was running out. So I think 4..that I can remember.

3 of the 4 were on public land.

Not including yearlings or nubbins, I can't call that a pass in my book.

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:57 am

I passed on over 10 bucks this year. I count every one because in years past before I found this site just about every buck would have been down. I ate 3 buck tags this year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 am

I ate my tag too. I had around 10 in range and another 10 15 out of range that I spotted. Only had one that I wanted to shoot in range, and I muffed that up. :oops:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:13 am

I like this topic, it kind of lets me know where I stand in terms of getting onto bucks. I passed three shots on small bucks, passed no shots on two year olds. Saw four bucks I would have liked to killed, three were in range.

Hearing that other hunters get a chance to pass on multiple bucks really shows me the amount of work/scouting I need yo do.

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 am

I passed on quite a few bucks, opted for 20+ as the number. It could have easily been 15-20 though, really didn't count them.

I got picky after filling my first buck tag, let many walk after that.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:04 am

I hunted 2 states...

Iowa- 14 bucks total I let walk by between 10 to 15 yards In 5 days of hunting. Minus 2 1st rackers all were between 125 to 140 Inches. 2 were 2 year olds, the rest were 3 and 4 year olds. I have a feeling I'm forgetting about many other bucks I let pass while In Iowa. Hunting there was awesome!!

Minnesota- At least 9 that I can remember. Four 1st rackers (usually I see twice that many 1.5 year olds). One 110 Inch 2 year old. Two 3 year olds that would've went between 125 to 135 inches. The other 2 were either 3 or 4 year olds (115 Inchers).
dbl lung

Unread postby dbl lung » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:03 am

I passed on 29 bucks that were in shooting range but seen 48 bucks total. With the biggest being in the 140ish range he should be a real dandy next year. With the pictures off my cameras I had it was tag a buck or eat the tag. I ate my tag:) But saved $500 due to not having a taxidermy bill:)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 am

EHD didn't pass up any.......... :? Which made it harder for me. I didn't count how many I passed, but it was way fewer than any year I can remember. I did pass up two bucks on my land in NY, which nobody else does. I haven't seen either one of them since.....Passed tons of non shooters out west, if you are calling that passed....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:55 am

Over 20 for me, don't know the exact number. The only number I keep track of is the "shooters' I see.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
ONE UP

Unread postby ONE UP » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:13 pm

passed 3 that I would consider shooters....then shot one I passed when my time was almost up. I guess his time was up too.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:49 pm

About 15
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:04 am

I count every deer I could have potentially shot as a pass because the redneck in me always wants to come out even if it is a so called "scrub" buck. I had five legitimate shot opportunities on bucks that I passed on.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:35 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I like this topic, it kind of lets me know where I stand in terms of getting onto bucks. I passed three shots on small bucks, passed no shots on two year olds. Saw four bucks I would have liked to killed, three were in range.

Hearing that other hunters get a chance to pass on multiple bucks really shows me the amount of work/scouting I need yo do.

Some of us are fortunate to have some good private, if you saw 4 shooters on public, you are doing just fine :D

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Elk2782

Unread postby Elk2782 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:06 am

I passed at least 10 different bucks 5 or 6 of them I would see numerous times threw the year, I really only seen about 3 that i wanted to shoot and killed one of those during the the gun season. It was a great year overall lot of action most nights and we deffinetly have some potential for the upcoming season
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 am

Casper wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:I like this topic, it kind of lets me know where I stand in terms of getting onto bucks. I passed three shots on small bucks, passed no shots on two year olds. Saw four bucks I would have liked to killed, three were in range.

Some of us are fortunate to have some good private, if you saw 4 shooters on public, you are doing just fine :D

I don't get down about it. I just know I can do better. Some of my hunts were not completely thought out, I know I can improve on this as well as finding more/better bedding areas to improve my chances of killing a good buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”