Dan's New Farm Country DVD Ideas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AB_Vinny

Dan's New Farm Country DVD Ideas

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 am

Since Dan is still in the process of making this video I am looking for everyone's input on what they really want to see in this video. I'm hoping this could be useful input to Dan whether he can incorporate some ideas or not.

I'll start:

1) Tactics for times outside of rut (i.e. Sept., October)
2) Wind and deer behavior - how bucks use wind to bed, travel, etc. Rut vs early season. How to play wind when stand hunting for evening vs early morning hunt. If wind shift during day where to anicipate bucks to be for midday or evening hunt (i.e. bucks bed due to certain wind direction unless primary bed, however an evening bed may not be on an opposite/leeward slope but in a spot nearby the morning bedding spot. When will a buck use a tail wind, vs head wind vs crosswind
3) Bedding - finding primary beds. Deciding which bed to hunt on certain days. Where deer will relocate with wind change during day.
4) Scouting tactics - anything unique for farm country that may be a combination of hill and flat.
5) Terrain Tactics - utilizing hill country and Marsh tactics from previous dvd's for farm country. Also when farm country possesses a combination of both
6) Inflences on sizes of timbered area - i.e. small pockets of timber vs large areas of timber.
7) Land improvements - food plots, trail manipulation if applicable.
8) Pressured vs unpressured behaviour

Darin
500 Club

Re: Dan's New Farm Country DVD Ideas

Unread postby Darin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 am

The 3 that I think would be the most knowledgable are:

1) Tactics for times outside of rut (i.e. Sept., October)
2) Wind and deer behavior - how bucks use wind to bed, travel, etc. Rut vs early season. How to play wind when stand hunting for evening vs early morning hunt. If wind shift during day where to anicipate bucks to be for midday or evening hunt (i.e. bucks bed due to certain wind direction unless primary bed, however an evening bed may not be on an opposite/leeward slope but in a spot nearby the morning bedding spot. When will a buck use a tail wind, vs head wind vs crosswind
3) Bedding - finding primary beds. Deciding which bed to hunt on certain days. Where deer will relocate with wind change during day.

I also think covering different terrain styles would be nice. Transistion lines, edges, etc..
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:26 am

This is only my opinion, but based on some of the things I've heard about these videos - the core of the concept is awesome. I really enjoy listening to the talk about tactics, but would MUCH rather prefer to see "in the field" examples, followed by a hunt. Hopefully a successful hunt at that, but just showing the tactic in-action with a hunt is what's missing from the previous videos IMO.

Talk is one thing, but I think showing the proof in the field is key to holding an audiences attention. Too much instruction get's old.

Dan's the man!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:23 am

After someones been working on a project for so long, don't you think it's a little late to present Dan with new ideas???
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:30 am

Spysar wrote:After someones been working on a project for so long, don't you think it's a little late to present Dan with new ideas???

Quite possibly, but I think the OP has good intentions in mind and is more posting a "wish list" than a demand list. I hope that the DVD shows an aerial of a property, shows features of the property on a topo, and then has footage taken at those specific spots so the viewer can see exactly what the bed or terrain feature looks like. As a visual learner, I love learning from photos on this site and videos are even better than photos. Any tips on habitat improvement are always welcome as well!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:44 am

Spysar wrote:After someones been working on a project for so long, don't you think it's a little late to present Dan with new ideas???

Thats what I was thinking. He has been working on it for quite a while so IDK if it would work out. I thought it was almost complete anyways?
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 am

I totally agree and I'm sure it is too late to add certain things, but I emailed Dan directly to ask him before I posted this. He may or may not get a few last minute ideas since he has not completed the project yet.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 am

I don't think it hurts anything to give ideas on what you would like to see in the DVD. It is a work in progress, not finished.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:48 am

WKPTodd wrote:This is only my opinion, but based on some of the things I've heard about these videos - the core of the concept is awesome. I really enjoy listening to the talk about tactics, but would MUCH rather prefer to see "in the field" examples, followed by a hunt. Hopefully a successful hunt at that, but just showing the tactic in-action with a hunt is what's missing from the previous videos IMO.

Talk is one thing, but I think showing the proof in the field is key to holding an audiences attention. Too much instruction get's old.

Dan's the man!

I know what you mean Todd. Your videos have a lot of intense action in them which drives attention. Dan just has a different style of teaching.

You said "too much instruction gets old"....I dont see it that way. I suppose for some people it could but learning is the best way for me to kill a mature buck. Thats just my learning preference. I dont need to see a big buck killed however like you said it would add flavor to the DVD I guess.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:50 am

Hey, your ideas are worth a shot. If nothing else, maybe he will use those ideas in other videos in the future.

I'm excited for his next video; I think it will be great :D
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:53 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
WKPTodd wrote:This is only my opinion, but based on some of the things I've heard about these videos - the core of the concept is awesome. I really enjoy listening to the talk about tactics, but would MUCH rather prefer to see "in the field" examples, followed by a hunt. Hopefully a successful hunt at that, but just showing the tactic in-action with a hunt is what's missing from the previous videos IMO.

Dan's the man!

I know what you mean Todd. Your videos have a lot of intense action in them which drives attention. Dan just has a different style of teaching.

You said "too much instruction gets old"....I dont see it that way. I suppose for some people it could but learning is the best way for me to kill a mature buck. Thats just my learning preference. I dont need to see a big buck killed however like you said it would add flavor to the DVD I guess.

Honestly, I really like how Dan's videos are layed out. I still remember watching the first one and commenting how different these videos were compared to the other stuff on the market. I really don't need to see a successful kill to learn how a tactic can be applied in a real world situation.

A
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 am

Could include a couple different approaches to getting permission to hunt on certain land. Maybe interview a landowner to see what they look for to let someone hunt. I know it depends a lot on the person you are asking.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:You said "too much instruction gets old"....I dont see it that way. I suppose for some people it could but learning is the best way for me to kill a mature buck. Thats just my learning preference. I dont need to see a big buck killed however like you said it would add flavor to the DVD I guess.

What he said.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 am

I agree with Stanley, its never too late to make constructive comments.

Todd, you should really watch the video's before making comments like that dude- making bold statements based on what you've "heard" is rarely productive. There were tactics and successful hunts to support those tacticts all through the videos. I'd sure like to hear your comments based on knowledgeable interpretation, we would all stand to gain from it. ;)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
BigHills BuckHunter wrote:

Dan's the man!

[glow=red]Honestly, I really like how Dan's videos are layed out. I still remember watching the first one and commenting how different these videos were compared to the other stuff on the market. I really don't need to see a successful kill to learn how a tactic can be applied in a real world situation.[/glow]
A

X2
The proff is on the wall

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”