Dan's New Farm Country DVD Ideas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigHunt

Re: Dan's New Farm Country DVD Ideas

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
WKPTodd wrote:This is only my opinion, but based on some of the things I've heard about these videos - the core of the concept is awesome. I really enjoy listening to the talk about tactics, but would MUCH rather prefer to see "in the field" examples, followed by a hunt. Hopefully a successful hunt at that, but just showing the tactic in-action with a hunt is what's missing from the previous videos IMO.

Talk is one thing, but I think showing the proof in the field is key to holding an audiences attention. Too much instruction get's old.

Dan's the man!

I know what you mean Todd. [glow=red]Your videos have a lot of intense action in them which drives attention. Dan just has a different style of teaching.[/glow]

You said "too much instruction gets old"....I dont see it that way. I suppose for some people it could but learning is the best way for me to kill a mature buck. Thats just my learning preference. I dont need to see a big buck killed however like you said it would add flavor to the DVD I guess.
they draw attention if your a hardcore rut hunter, other then that its just another bow hunting dvd!

dans dvds give you different tactics that arnt shown in every day industry shows or dvds.

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 am

All I know is Im excited to buy the DVD and soak it up whenever it comes out.

I think I will buy 2, just to be safe. I have lost my BEAST Dvds too many times. Greatful I got them back. A lot of people like to "borrow" them. One person in particular. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone... There could still be some additions if I see some good suggestions. There is still a lot of work to do... And I don't think the video is going to be exactly what everyone is imagining, there might be a little surprise to it, which is why its taking so long... But, your going to have to wait to here more.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 pm

Whether the DVD is almost completed or not, constructive ideas will always help in the future of any new segments.
Im sure there are many more to come after this. ;)

Cant wait to see the new one Dan!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:21 pm

I didn't know you were coming out with Farm Country. This is like Christmas Morning.

Only reason I want to see hunts in an instructional DVD is if you are going to break it down and use it to teach.

Just my .02

P.S. Please tell me you are shooting for a summer release...? :L:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Just hurry is my input, there is nothing to watch.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:30 pm

I don't want to wait ;)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm

great posts and THANK YOU DAN

I love your aerial overview diagrams and the explaination as to why you selected a certain tree and the when and why
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Lets see, some of the most difficult stuff for me in hunting farm country in no particular order:

- The effect of leaf drop and crop harvesting times on buck patterns
- How mature buck core areas can be oddly shaped in small areas of cover - I have seen "core" areas, where they spend most of their time in daylight at a certain point of the year outside of the rut, 1/2 mile long and 100 yards wide.
- The extreme variability in location over multiple years, or even week to week, depending on food, doe populations and interacting with other bucks of varying dominance - this is a big one. I have seen big bucks scoot half a mile, and not just randomly, they pack up camp, move, and make the new place home for a while..even for a year or two.
- Hunting smaller parcels where you may not have access to where a buck beds, beyond the basic hunting rut funnels etc.
- How some big bucks learn to consistently elude drive hunting, which is so common in farm country gun hunting.

Just some things that has left me scratching my head in the past! I think getting on to bucks in farm country is pie compared to big cover deer though...its just still challenging closing the deal :D
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

I think it should be what Dan is passionate about regarding this topic. I think maybe if there was a short fall to the previous videos is that there were good speakers used that were a bit off the mark and it was almost painful at times to see Dan try to smoothly upright the boat and keep it moving forward when the depth of discussion wasn't qutie there. When you watched Andrae talk, he don't really care what anyone thinks about what he's saying, he's passionate about what he's talking about and that resonates. Ultimately I want Dan to be successful and if he's allowed to speak unemcumbered without regard for what people want, but so that people feel his passion, it'll be wildly successful.

IMO
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm

First of all I would like to say the only hunting shows I can stand watching and enjoy watching are obviously Dan's dvd's, WKP, Whitetails Inc webshow, Whitetail Adrenaline, Midwest Whitetail, and some Heartland Bowhunter...

people on this website- love the layout of Dans DVD's

average joe blow- think the layout of Dans DVD's are boring

I don't think the average dude out there really WANTS to learn...they might say they do, but when they sit down and watch a hunting dvd they want action and entertainment. In my opinion, Dan's dvd's by far blow anything out of the water as far as teaching and learning goes, WKP/Whitetails Inc. has some of the best story lines and action I've seen in a dvd and which I enjoy watching the best, and Whitetail Adrenaline has lots of action and entertainment but lacks any kind of teaching or story lines, and has lots of gun hunting and amateurish things in it that turn me off.

I think if someone can combine the instruction of Dans dvd's, the storyline and action of WKP, and the entertainment value of Whitetail Adrenaline, IMO you have the ultimate hunting dvd that can relate to all crowds and would selll the best...
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 am

I didn't even know that a new DVD was in the making! Hooray!!!
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:51 am

My feedback was coming from a business standpoint as well as from an entertainment standpoint. Believe me guys, after producing 6 DVD's (working on #7 now); if you want to make this more than a hobby, you must appeal to the largest demographic as possible. 95% of the video buyers are still buying videos based on the number of kills contained within. If you are doing this as a hobby, then you can make a DVD however you want. If you actually want to break even (cause you really don't ever make money selling DVD's), you have to sell thousands of DVDs. If you don't think WKP videos aren't different than the other stuff out there, I'd like to know what videos you are watching? Outside of Whitetail Adrenoline, I have a hard time even getting through any of the other DVD's that are out there. We don't hunt with outfitters and we are 100% bow if that helps clarify a starting point for some differences between us and the other guys. I'd just quit doing this if it wasn't for the enjoyment I have in producing and filming my hunts. I truely love documenting whitetails in the wild. Can't get enough of it, I just love watching deer.

Maybe Dan's new stuff will be better with himself being a majority of the storyline. I could watch 2 hours of Dan doing pretty much anything. That's why I'm excited to see his latest endevor.

I'm not affraid to say I like watching giant deer die either!
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:36 am

Scouting foreplay.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:09 am

I think a great scene would be taking an Average Joe (in this case I would like to call him Ed)...

So take an Average Ed and bring him through the ropes and video him killing a 130" buck!

Another great hunt would be traveling to a not so successful (high deer density area), let's say New Hampshire,
and prove to the general public that you are in fact a mature buck hunter under ANY circumstances ;)
Could also be a Bear Hunt or a Moose hunt (if you draw a tag for the Moose).

What ya say Gingersnap? :mrgreen:
At the very least I can promise you good food, great scenery and a lot of laughs...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”