Ethics Question?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Ethics Question?

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 am

This past weekend I walked an area of public that I have never really scouted before. My problem is that I found a really good bed about 70 yds out into the cattails under a twisted dead tree. Every tree and piece of brush is rubbed going into the only clump of trees that I could put a stand in. My dilemma is that while looking for a good set up I found a tree with holes from screw in tree steps and there is still a bow holder in the tree. This is the closest tree to the bed, and the most direct and used path as well. Behind the clump of trees is RR Tracks and then corn fields. This is obviously a food source for early season that I am positive will be used again as this is the only ag field around. I found a total of 9 buck beds during my 2 days of scouting, but most of them will require a ground ambush spot because the bucks seem to skirt the woods and use the dogwoods and small poplars instead. I guess my problem is ethics, do I give that spot up and hunt one of the other beds since I see evidence of another hunter or do I hunt it as planned from the tree? This is definitely public land so I am not trespassing. I usually just let others have a spot if I know they are there. I could set up in the cattails closer to the bed and cut off those trees as well. I have met a few guys from this site in the area I hunt and we have talked about areas we hunt so we are not in the same woods at the same time or hunting on top of each other. I do know that of the guys I know, none of them are hunting in this area. What would you do?

ttsbuck
500 Club

Re: Ethics Question?

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 am

1. You scouted and found it yourself
2. You don't know if someone else will be hunting it again
3. I would hunt it as soon as season opened

That being said
I would keep my eyes on the area and if I saw someone in the area I would talk to them and defer that site to them if they were going to hunt it.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:38 am

Ethically, go ahead and hunt there if you want. Chances are good, with RR tracks right there(easy access), and evidence of another hunter, you might be setting up for failure. I'm thinking with a field right there and RR tracks, that the sign your seeing might been nocturnal.....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:51 am

Spysar wrote:Ethically, go ahead and hunt there if you want. Chances are good, with RR tracks right there(easy access), and evidence of another hunter, you might be setting up for failure. I'm thinking with a field right there and RR tracks, that the sign your seeing might been nocturnal.....

X2
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:02 am

The tracks are a ways away from the area I am setting up. I think this is the staging area for this buck before he heads in to feed. I am probably an 1/8 of a mile from the tracks. The field is pretty secluded as well. It is a back field and there isn’t a house or road near it. Here in WI there are train tracks everywhere, and trains run all the time. I think the deer are used to hearing and seeing this type of activity. I would set up in the clump of trees later in the afternoon hoping to catch the buck on his way in from his bed. For me to get here from the parking lot on public, I have a good ¾ mile walk at least before I even get to the woods. I’d post a map but it would be very recognizable to anyone that hunts this area. I think that this area is the area the buck comes to before he heads to eat, after dark. He can’t be seen from the tracks at all.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:18 am

Deer are used to the train. Some of my best spots on a property with RR tracks, are all within 100 yards of it. Ive also kicked numerous deer up in the ditches within 10 yards off the tracks. People overlook those spots. I enjoy it when the train comes thru, especially if I need to make a "not quiet" adjustment :lol:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 am

If I know another hunting is using the area I back out and find another spot. Not really a matter of ethics, more of courtesy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 am

I'm not saying deer wouldn't be near train tracks, I agree they are used to it and it doesn't affect their movement. I'm saying the tracks are an easy walk in for a human. Go with your gut. If that's the spot you feel is your best bet, go for it. If I never hunted where there were old signs of hunters, I wouldn't have any spots. No matter how deep you think your going, trust me, someone has been there and done it too.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:05 am

I would probably hunt it. This guy could be hunting it on the best wind for him but wrong wind for the bed. He could no longer hunt there, so many variables.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:08 am

Pretty hard to hunt anywhere on public where there is not at least some sign of someone previously hunting there unless you are in a very large remote areas of State or National Forest. Still amazed how many times I cyber scout a general area, get out there to pick a tree and find a bow hanger already in it when I get up there. :doh:

If you actually see someone hunting that area then yes I would avoid it but it may have been a one sit deal and the hunter may never be back again. It's just one of those things you have to deal with on highly pressured public land. This is why I have been going much deeper and through obstacles most will not venture into so I can avoid situations like this.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 am

I agree on finding other places to hunt as well. I am scouting this property in sections and covering each one as thoroughly as possible. I have found a number of beds already since hunting season closed. I still have quite a bit to scout, but I want to keep my options open for different wind or weather patterns, and for when I am on a time crunch. During the week I get out of work at 130 on any 2 days I want as long as I start early. My boss has been pretty reasonable allowing me to get out on weekdays, when less people are in there. I have to save the longer walks for weekends, holidays, and vacations. I would like to find enough beds to hit each spot 2-3 times a season, and still hunt as much as possible. Reading this site has made me want to get out and scout, instead of just walking around and saying “This looks like a good spot”. It’s nice to know how, why, and when the deer are there
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 am

Another thing is I would not use the tracks for any type of access no matter how tempting it may be. They are very strict about trespassing rules on this and have been known to hand out some pretty hefty fines. Just saw an article in the paper last week reminding people again.

In the old days this was never an issue but I suppose now with terrorism and all they are very skittish about it.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 am

I would hunt it for sure if you feel you can kill a buck there. No doubt you have the other hunter to think about but if you like the spot for early season just try and be the first guy to hunt the area then move on when the pressure starts to ramp up.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:03 am

Ethics aside I wouldn't hunt the same tree because I believe any buck worth shooting would know that tree is being used. Most hunters use the same spot over and over. That spot is most likely burnt out. It is always possible that someone set up there one time and moved on. I would look for clues as to how much the spot was being used.
Ethics is always a tricky topic because everyone has a different definition. One could argue that it's public land and anyone has a right to hunt there. One could also argue that it's wrong to hunt another hunters spot. You will have to decide what you think is right.
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 am

I usually won't even hunt near other guys. There is NOTHING WORSE than sitting in a stand listening to other guys ruin your hunt. IMO, if it looks obvious that someone is hunting there, they probably are. It ruins your hunt if he shows up, so I'd hunt elsewhere unless you can confirm he's not hunting there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”