How close is too close? v. Buck Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

addisonlee

How close is too close? v. Buck Beds

Unread postby addisonlee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 am

So how close is too close when setting up on a mature buck bed? 50yds? 40yds? 30yds?

How close have you set up on a buck bed?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How close is too close? v. Buck Beds

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 am

addisonlee wrote:So how close is too close when setting up on a mature buck bed? 50yds? 40yds? 30yds?

How close have you set up on a buck bed?

I have successfully set up as close as 40 yards to bedded bucks. But have also had a few bust me at that range... You get away with more in rain and/or wind. When its dry or quiet you need to sit back a ways. Some types of terrains are way better suited for getting close to bedded bucks. Its hard to do in some areas, and with some beds. In cattails and swamps for instance, I can get real close to beds in thick cover. But a buck bedding on a field island on farm land can be tough, or one in wooded open terrain with loud crunchy leaves.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:55 pm

40yds?! Wow.

Great tip with getting away with more in rain and wind. I've never attempted to set up within 50yds of a buck bed before, but will have to reconsider with the right conditions. Now I'll just have to practice a quiet set up. ;)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 pm

addisonlee wrote:40yds?! Wow.

Great tip with getting away with more in rain and wind. I've never attempted to set up within 50yds of a buck bed before, but will have to reconsider with the right conditions. Now I'll just have to practice a quiet set up. ;)

Get to your tree early and go slow!! You can be almost silent if you take your time and watch every move.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
addisonlee wrote:40yds?! Wow.

Get to your tree early and go slow!! You can be almost silent if you take your time and watch every move.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

x2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:07 pm

I somehow set up on mature buck about 60 yards away from his bed. What I did was go very slow and tried to be quiet as possible. Then in the stand after 15 minutes I moved my arm to check my cell phone and he bolted out of there. I learned you have to be careful even when you are in the stand. BTW cell phone is off when I hunt now. Just my .02
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm more of a 100 yard guy. I usually set up about 150 with a nice wind I'm pretty stealth at that distance. I have had quite a few bucks bed down within 20 yards of my set up.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Stanley wrote:I'm more of a 100 yard guy. I usually set up about 150 with a nice wind I'm pretty stealth at that distance. I have had quite a few bucks bed down within 20 yards of my set up.

Im usually 100 to 200 yards out in woods... Marshes and swamps I get much closer. Its important that the terrains get separated and mentioned... A guy hunting hill country or farm country would read 40 yards and scratch his head wondering how...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 am

Stanley wrote:I'm more of a 100 yard guy. I usually set up about 150 with a nice wind I'm pretty stealth at that distance. I have had quite a few bucks bed down within 20 yards of my set up.

Me too - LOL

I doubt very much, in my terrain, that anything under 75 yards is possible.

I did get to that distance this year and believe it was my first encounter @ this distance on known bedding.
The terrain was a ridge slope that bends around a hill and into a point swamp location and I was able to get around the bend and into some thick Hemlocks.
I believe it will be a producer this year and has taken me multiple seasons to fine tune.
So be patient, it doesn't happen overnight!!!

I will say that it was quite rewarding feeling like Bruce Lee - Ninja Buck Style!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”