Talkin tracks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dirt nap giver

Talkin tracks

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:50 pm

What do you look for when your looking at a track? I typically look for a number of things. First is there a swagger or are the hide tracks stepping in the front, swagger is what I want. Second, is the front tract flat, while the rear tract on an angle pointing down. Flat in the front means it is a heavy deer, so much so that when he steps, his weight forces the hoof to "bottom out" on the joint. Third, is the front track spread apart from his body weight. Fourth, is the distance from front track to rear track. I measure this with my boots, heal to toe. Some where in the area of 40"-48" or more is a great sign. Fifth, does the track have any identifiable characteristics, chipped, curved, rounded etc.. Any thing I'm missing or haven't though of? Whats your take?

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: Talkin tracks

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:31 am

I believe all said here was right on. Following a series of tracks vs. looking at a single track can give many clues. The Benoit books are good at defining what they look for - especially the first one.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”