Thoughts on your 2012-2013 season...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Thoughts on your 2012-2013 season...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 am

I just wanted to start this thread and let you guys give feedback (vent) on your season this year, post pics if you want or short description of how it played out...I'll start...

The KY season ended the yesterday (21st) with out a deer in the freezer. I passed up 3 doe early season and one small buck. I missed a doe in late December and then missed a nice buck a week later. Yesterday's evening hunt was my final sit. I scouted an area and found a nice buck on a point, with a ridge behind it. My initial feeling was to sit on the ridge, but opted for the buck bed. Well, I had 2 really nice bucks scale the ridge at 4:00 that was about 60 yards away and then 30 minutes later 2 does were in front of me for an hour browsing, but no shot opportunities through the pines. So, I wasn't successful at putting in bone on the ground or meat in the freezer this year. But, you gotta love bowhunting. It has the highest of high's and lowest of lows. Chasing mature bucks is downright addicting and there's no other way I would rather spend my time (except with my wife). There's is nothing more peaceful and rewarding to be in the woods with nature and whitetails. I'm ready for next year! :D

dirt nap giver

Re: Thoughts on your 2012-2013 season...

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 am

The BB aspect this year was frustrating. I single lunged a 130" in early November only to jump him 45 minutes later then the coyotes jumped him again and brought him down across the street. Land owner denied my request for retrieval. Due to being abundantly blessed with work, I misses almost the entire first month and a half of the season. By the time I was able to make it out, I came down with the flu, some may say that I could have made it out anyway, but that doesn't fly in my world anymore. I was able to shoot a dink and 3 does for the freezer as well as spend time with my Bride and my daughter during the firearm season. I had a lot of opportunities to shoot deer, just don't see the sense in killing them in my normal spots when I have year round nuisance permits for filling the freezer. EHD has really put a hurting on the mature bucks here in SW Michigan, so with everything combined it was an off year for me.
Oh well! I enjoyed creation, my family as well as recharged my batteries. The fun is still swinging though. Fresh snow and a lot of calories to burn off from the holidays. I love scouting too, and that doesn't carry as much stress as the hunting season.
Let the fun of preparing for next year begin!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 am

I will go into more detail about my season in the contest thread.

Overall it started out really rough, wounding and missing bucks and does. Then I wounded a 13 ptr on Oct 22nd which we found a couple weeks later.... and 3 days later killed my biggest bowbuck on October 25th. Got a buck in the last minutes of the last day of gun season too. Took one doe with my bow from the ground which was awesome!

Overall the best hunting year I have ever had. 8-)

Lots of highs and lows.
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I will go into more detail about my season in the contest thread.

Overall it started out really rough, wounding and missing bucks and does. Then I wounded a 13 ptr on Oct 22nd which we found a couple weeks later.... and 3 days later killed my biggest bowbuck on October 25th. Got a buck in the last minutes of the last day of gun season too. Took one doe with my bow from the ground which was awesome!

Overall the best hunting year I have ever had. 8-)

Lots of highs and lows.

Wow, what a season for you! I hate that you lost a few, but that's part of it...been there.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 am

Shot a 140 inch big woods Northern WI public land buck on Opening Day of bow season in WI...Beast style!! I'm more proud of that deer than any deer I have ever killed! All the hard work and scouting paid off the first night!! I killed a doe Nov. 7 and passed a couple small bucks gun season. A very satisfying season!! Can't wait to start scouting for 2013!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am

Didn't kill a buck with my bow but had a exciting season and that is all that matters to me. As I get older it's not so much about the kill anymore but more about having fun and continued learning along the way. Saw more bucks than average and passed on a good number of decent bucks holding out for a bigger one. Got busted while drawing on a 150" from the ground. That one stung a little but put me back out there more determined than ever and in the process saw a true giant later in the rut. He was chasing a doe and stayed just out of my comfortable range. They came back thru again shortly after but still no shot. I repositioned but as usual with chasing during the rut they are here and gone to the next county. Never seen him again!

I killed a young buck during the rifle season in the northwoods so I was happy to have some venison in the freezer.

Late season bow was a major disappointment for me since I became really sick after around Thanksgiving and continued until the end of the season. I only made it out 6 times and that took every bit of energy I had. Guess it wasn't all bad since I did track a good buck to his bed deep in a cedar swamp. Pretty cool to sneak up and have him stand up at 20 yards and not know you are there. Ended up being a decent 8 pt but I decided to not shoot since I was hunting a bigger buck. Unfortunately sickness prevented me from getting back out again after that.

Happy to say I am feeling back to 100% health again and will be scouting hard preparing for next season.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

Had a decent amount of deer sightings and opportunities with the exception of buck sights - zero to be exact (NH).
Arrowed a trophy Doe, got my son into a ground blind for the 1st time and within 15-minutes we had deer in front of us!

Had a great MO archery hunt w/Zap, hit an 8-pointer that I stalked to within 25 yards, never found him, but was a blast...

Certainly didn't get out as much as I anticipated with the new job and all...

Returned home safe and sound after each hunt...!
Family is healthy and doing good - so it's a great season and another year of experience to build on.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:56 am

Great year for me... Saw more shooters than any other year. Could have been better, made a couple mistakes that I shouldn't have made. September can't come soon enough!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 am

Glad to have lived through another season. Had lot of fun seeing Beast members; Guys, women & children knock down a deer or two. Lord willing I'll see another season next year. You never know when your last season will be.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:26 pm

It flew by once again. No out of state hunts this year, but got a deer (3 does) in all three deer hunting zones of Michigan.

Went to the UP and finally took a deer off my property - Zone 1. I havent hunted the UP since December 2005. Then I took another doe down here Southern MI on thanksgiving- Zone 3, shared that hunt with a youth and he scored later the same day on his first deer. Then Muzzleloading season I took a deer in the northern lower - Zone 2. Second year in a row taking a deer with my unscoped muzzleloader in Zone 2.

Shot a few fall turkeys and took some grouse on my UP trip. I really enjoyed 2012.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

It was a success in that I shot a real big buck I have been watching grow up for years into something really special.

However, I didn't hunt very much and should have taken many, many more does. A lot of the areas I hunt now are either out of control with deer numbers or quickly approaching that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:58 pm

As Meatloaf sang - two of of three ain't bad.
I just wish I could have done some early bow hunting. Hopefully this year!
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Returned home safe and sound after each hunt...!
Family is healthy and doing good - so it's a great season and another year of experience to build on.

I would agree that no matter how your season went, we returned home without any harm. It seems every year we hear of a hunter that ended their life to early by falling out of stands or accidental shooting. My main priority is tree stand safety.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:04 am

I had a very humbling season. After a very long and difficult year for a lot of other reasons, this fall it seemed I could do no wrong while hunting. In September I arrowed a elk on the last day of a back country do it yourself backpack hunt, my first try ever and in mountains I had never set foot in before that week, on a heavily pressured over the counter unit to boot. I hunted hard for a bull all week before ending up shooting a cow on the last stalk but I know a rookie still should not get that lucky. That's country to forget your problems out there!

Back in the midwest I filled both my archery either sex tags with great bucks, my two either sex gun tags with great bucks, and my gun antlerless tag as well with a big doe. Yes, I try to hunt hard and hunt smart but I did not deserve a season like this. I wish I could put how that feels into words.

If it wasn't for a darn coyote in ML season I would be 100% for nothing missed and nothing wounded with gun or bow, I am proud of that.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:23 am

I was my first year back bowhunting since about 1980. The couple years I bowhunted back then were worthless - experience-wise - for today.

First,thanks again to a Beast member for helping with my shooting,and then turning me on to this site....When "friends" didn't have time to help,Browning 3 took the time...I had gotten the feeling from some that they were trying to discourage me - "there's already too many bowhunters" - then a total stranger meets me at the range to help me. Thanks again.

I scouted a lot well before the season,and I practiced almost every day during July and August - enough to become competent with my 35 year old bow at short range...Then I bought a PSE Brute and became a little more competent at a little longer ranges.

But between poor scent control and poor stand site selection,I essentially "wasted" the first month of the season....Except that learning becomes "knowing" and "habit" when the learning hurts....Since I hunted probably 5 nights and 2 mornings per week,that "wasted" month hurt.

I eventually arrowed a mature buck on public land in a "corridor" downwind from a bedding site. Other bowhunters had hunted the vicinity but made (imo,now) poor stand choices. "My" area had been left alone,I picked it deliberately,and I had confidence in it...I hate to say it,but my lack of knowledge led to the loss of the animal. A quartering TO shot at 17yds. One lung,and I probably pushed the buck too soon,but the arrow went exactly where I aimed.....The light breeze was rising but I was afraid if I allowed him to approach any closer he'd bust me....That all makes it worse - had I waited another minute,I'd have had a perfect broadside shot at about 10yds....MIlkweed was rising like little hot air balloons,he wouldn't have scented me.

And had I not pushed him..well,he ran towards my canoe and laid down about 100' from it. That would'a been so sweet....

First I thought he fell into the river,and I spent a ton of time searching in 2' to 3' water. I stayed out 'til 11pm that night and was back in the woods at 5am - PLUS the 1/2 hour paddle and 20 minute drive each way... I picked up the blood trail 75yds from were it'd stopped near the river and trailed him into the oaks,where it again got sparse. Red blood,red leaves,approaching storm... I searched in a grid pattern the first couple hours of the thunderstorm,then finally gave up.....afterwards,I spoke with a number of guys. One guy said he loses almost half the animals he shoots. ("I can't remember all the deer I shot that I never found")...If that was the way it goes,well,I almost hung it up. I don't want to EVER lose another animal. It really sucks.

But with talking to more guys,and reading stuff online,I realized that most guys don't lose a big percentage of the deer they shoot. It might be common and "no big deal" for some guys to lose an animal,but for others it's rare,and hurts.

So I got back on the horse,and three days later I arrowed a doe from that same tree. Both lungs,it didn't run far....I can't say I was proud of that deer ("first deer's always a trophy",I was told... BS) - especially in light of the buck...But if it weren't for that doe,I don't know if I'd be so pumped for the sport. I was ready to give it up.

Then the rut started,and everything I'd learned up to that point went out the window. Lots more hours sittin',lots more hours without seeing deer...I DID pass on a couple more shots (does) that weren't sure things,and got busted while at full draw once. Also,it took two clean misses to discover my anchor point changes with the addition of more clothes.

So after years and years and years of saying to myself that I was going to get back into bowhunting,I finally did. I learned a ton,and - more important - I learned what I yet need to learn.

One other regret: My Lund never got wet between 9/1 and 12/15. There's no walleye filets in the freezer. The plus side to that is every one caught since then has been eaten fresh. They're so much better that way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”