Anyone Like The Surprise?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Re: Anyone Like The Surprise?

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
gatorbait42 wrote:In 2007 I hunted 10 straight days mostly all day sits, I hadn't seen a good buck in those previous days since my target buck was shot the week before. And all at once this guy shows up. Talk about a suprise!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

That is a Slob!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

And a nice surprise.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 pm

I will take history with a big old 5, 6+ year old buck every time. That is far from just trail cam pics, that is sheds, sightings, finding his core area etc.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm

dan wrote:I like a surprise.. But I would rather get an old timer that has been giving me the slip for a few years.
Its a great feeling to set up on a certain buck you "think" is bedded on a certain day, in a certain spot, and then watch him rise from his bed... No surprise buck can give you that feeling... But, yes, a surprise now and then is good too.
Amen to that...But.

Surprise dose nothing for me...Its actually very disappointing when I realize that the buck walking by is not the buck Im after.
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:40 am

I like to have a history with a buck, pictures, sheds, etc...But equally as fun going somewhere to hunt and not knowing whats out there and being surprised.....
dbl lung

Unread postby dbl lung » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:46 am

It is funny I was just thinking about this.....going back to it that is. I think about all the time I spend checking cameras, the money I spend checking cameras, batteries, the cameras themselves. This past season was one of great frusteration I attribute to cameras. Cameras had me there a day late all the time and I never could pattern anything. More big bucks then ever before and nothing to show for it has me wondering. Right now I have 5 cameras I could get about $500 bucks for all of them on Ebay or Archerytalk. I know it would make my wife happy:)

With the neighbors having to check their cameras all the time it could benefit me to get rid of them. Their scent in their woods pushing the deer to me instead of the deer being pushed around. Sounds like an idea.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:30 am

I hunt out of state, so dont have any knowledge or history of whats in the area till I see it. Honestly I would love to have trail cams, to know what really walks the land before I get there.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:53 am

dan wrote:I don't have history on bucks in a lot of areas I hunt... But, would like to point out a positive to knowing whats in your area. It really helps for setting goals... Say your holding out for 4 year old or better and the best buck in your area is a 3 y/o... Why even bother hunting? or maybe you should travel... But hunting an area that does not hold a shooter is wasting time.
Or, a world class buck of a lifetime shows up in your area and you don't know it so you shoot the 1st little 130/140 class and fill your tag... Now your out of the game and cannot even hunt the buck of your dreams... Knowing whats going on is a "GOOD" thing... But, surprises are cool, and regardless of trail cams, we all get a few surprises every year... The idea that at any moment a "surprise" monster that nobody new about might walk out, is what gets us out there sitting in the tree a lot of the time... Right?

Shot my 130 class 5 1/2 yr old 8 pt end of Oct. Thought I shot the "big one" I put a trail camera up next to the tree I shot it out of and found out a 170 class 10 pt was also calling the area home. Planning for next year, hoping he makes it. I will have a couple cameras out this summer to check on him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”