How to hunt a corridor.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bucksnbows

Re: How to hunt a corridor.

Unread postby bucksnbows » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 am

Lol ..... I knew looking for the easy button was gonna come back to bite me.
Ok so what would you do in the not so windy days?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Not hunt it... wait for a 10-15mph wind... low winds are variable and will likely blow up a tight cooridor hunt.

Option two is to hang the stand in July so it is ready to hunt mid Sept

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:20 am

Bucky wrote:Not hunt it... wait for a 10-15mph wind... low winds are variable and will likely blow up a tight cooridor hunt.

Wish I could do that. I have to hunt my spots with a stand on the back.

This year I'm ditching my climbing sticks for these corn hunts and using either the one stick climbing method or screw in steps. It was tough maneuvering with a hang on and sticks on my back through my corn rows last season. The rows around me are planted really tight together too.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Bucky wrote:Not hunt it... wait for a 10-15mph wind... low winds are variable and will likely blow up a tight cooridor hunt.

Wish I could do that. I have to hunt my spots with a stand on the back.

This year I'm ditching my climbing sticks for these corn hunts and using either the one stick climbing method or screw in steps. It was tough maneuvering with a hang on and sticks on my back through my corn rows last season. The rows around me are planted really tight together too.

Coming back after dark is really worse yet. I have done; stand, back pack, and a pole saw. Separates the men from the monkeys. I have done it more than once. I do not like making that much work out of it. But you gotta do what you gotta do and then do it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:34 pm

It definitely builds character! Its a fun challenge and you know most guys aren't going to hunt like that.

I just wanted to shed some weight so I don't sound like a rhino and I can maneuver a bit better.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 pm

I've checked several corn field edges but seems that I'm finding trails just inside the woods that are worn down pretty good. They parallel the corn field. I'm assuming it is cause it's easier for them to walk the inside edge rather than through all the weeds on the field edge. So my question is have you Stanley or anyone else hunted any of these or set cameras up on them just inside the timber? Seen mostly doe tracks on it but I'm sure at some point the bucks will use this as well. Just curious your experience or any others experience with these trails.

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:56 pm

So here is a possible corridor scenario-let me know your thoughts. I have hunted occasionally along a power lone clear cut that gets real thick some years. It's about 60 yards wide and runs adjacent to two open wood lots on hill
Country. I'm thinking it would be good to hunt a tree in this area

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 pm

wmihunter wrote:So here is a possible corridor scenario-let me know your thoughts. I have hunted occasionally along a power lone clear cut that gets real thick some years. It's about 60 yards wide and runs adjacent to two open wood lots on hill
Country. I'm thinking it would be good to hunt a tree in this area

In rifle season i have taken a few good bucks on power line crossing. When the pressure get heavy on the public land I loved to sit up on a good crossing at a power line. Most of the bucks unless they are spooked badly in my experience would walk out look both ways then go on across. Alway gave me just enough time for the shot. Can't say I've ever bow hunted along a power line though

wiytwt

jaci rzvazhcuisyd

Unread postby wiytwt » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:36 pm

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:39 am

This was referred to in Uncle Lou''s Corn thread. I re-read it again and thought it could use a bump.

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am

Bump

Great thread.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”