Club hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stevew77

Club hunting

Unread postby Stevew77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Well guys I went 5 years hunting public and realized I was chasing deer that weren't there so I decided to join a managed club in 2012. I happened to kill my two biggest deer and film one of the hunts. During the season I only had one dissagreement with another member about hunting too close to his "marked" area. I recived a phone call about it that evening and here is what I was told. "You're not breaking any club rules but we ask that the take freelancing down a notch or two". In this club half of members are allowed 2 markers (apox. 26 acres per) and aren't allowed to hunt outside of those. Full members the same but can "freelance" the remaining 2000 that isn't marked. I was hunting a 1/4 mile from this guy and he got mad. Now that the season is out I get an email. They want to meet with me about several issues and give me a chance to explain myself. Now this is a old club and most members have been in it 10 years or more. I reviewed their by-laws again for this year and the freelance part is missing. I'm one of only two true bow hunters out of 50 members and the other just happens to be the president. My biggest was the clubs second biggest for the season. Now that I have become a better hunter I understand why Dan made the comment about clubs not liking our way of hunting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Uncle Lou

Re: Club hunting

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Interesting, what state you in?

There is a club up in NE lower that I hunt near and now a few members. It is 11,000 acres or so and I thought about joining just for muzzleloading season. You can move around a bit then but I probably wont do it. Too much land in Mi to hunt without joining a club
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:39 pm

This is in Sc

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Unless the hunting is awesome, I personally would not be able to put up with a bunch of rules...................I don't like being told where/when/how I can hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 pm

My only reason for joining was to utilize the extra acerage. Apparently I ruined it fr everyone because they took it out of the rules.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Stevew77 wrote:My only reason for joining was to utilize the extra acerage. Apparently I ruined it fr everyone because they took it out of the rules.

Are you gonna stick with it for next year? More options never hurt! Are they jealous of the bucks you killed?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:34 am

My opinion is that others whom are to lazy to hunt mobile, don't have the equipment to hunt mobile, or don't know enough about deer sign to hunt mobile, will not like the fact that you come in and in one season your shooting some of the best bucks... You will likely be asked to leave, or to hunt like everyone else. The club is founded on people paying dues... When certain "good paying members" threaten to quit it will scare the owners and they will take the side of the long standing member whether he is right or wrong... Every time. Hunting in groups with people whom hunt differently will not work well. Especially when money changes hand.
In a perfect scenario they would not know where you hunt, and would never see what you kill.

If the public land don't work for you, and you don't like the club rules, why don't you attempt to start your own club.. Beast style?
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 am

dan wrote:My opinion is that others whom are to lazy to hunt mobile, don't have the equipment to hunt mobile, or don't know enough about deer sign to hunt mobile, will not like the fact that you come in and in one season your shooting some of the best bucks... You will likely be asked to leave, or to hunt like everyone else. The club is founded on people paying dues... When certain "good paying members" threaten to quit it will scare the owners and they will take the side of the long standing member whether he is right or wrong... Every time. Hunting in groups with people whom hunt differently will not work well. Especially when money changes hand.
In a perfect scenario they would not know where you hunt, and would never see what you kill.

If the public land don't work for you, and you don't like the club rules, why don't you attempt to start your own club.. Beast style?

X2
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:49 am

Hey Steve
I live in Aiken and did some club hunting in Orangeburg this year. What county are you hunting??

The clubs I've hunted won't allow freelance hunting at all and the deer know how to get around the rifle stands by november.
Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 am

Dan, public was good to me and I actually enjoyed it more than club hunting. The reason I joined was to have a chance to kill bigger bucks. The reason I chose this club was because of the freelance clause. I think it's just a case of different hunting styles. They were upset that I didn't have a quad, asked why I didn't choose to plant a plot in my areas. I like to hunt deer in their natural environment and they told me since the existence of the club no one has freelanced the amount I have. The excuse for that was that I was cutting off "their" deer. When I asked for a current map of the boundaries and areas other members were marked I was told they were going to try that but after looking at it some people's markers actually overlapped so to prevent disagreements they left as is. Basically the older members have the best areas and they don't want you anywhere close to them. Going to the meeting sounds like a damned if I do and dammed if I don't and it sounds like they have already made up their mind. I for one do not feel I have to sit down with 6 board members and explain anything. If I was doing something wrong they should have handled it in season.

The land is Chester county.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:37 am

The older members sound possessive and most surely are upset that a newcomer is killing their deer. It don't sound like a good fit for a Beast! I bet you can get on a good one on public because you know how to hunt like a Beast! Too many headaches when different hunting styles clash. Good luck!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 am

I would go to the meeting hear them out, give your side of the story..............and then let them know their old school methods of hunting just aint gonna cut it for you.
Pull out the pics of your bucks and then say............."you want to shoot bucks like these, you gotta go find them, not sit and wait"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”