Marsh Buck Bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckfever
500 Club

Marsh Buck Bed

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Because of work mostly I haven't been able to hunt much, but I've been scouting a good bit a and was playing cat and mouse with a couple of bucks.

Just moving the cameras around and with feet on the ground figuring based on the time the likely bedding areas, the staging areas and the food sources. I was planing on hunting so I didn't go right after the exact bed, but as I gained info I was narrowing things down too the point that I suspected this one little patch out at this point. Anyway I waited too long and they moved closer to the food source:

So I had a few hours for scouting today and it snowed so and headed back to the general area I was setting up in before they vacated. So first I skirted to make sure, because if they were back I'd figure the bedding and make a set off it. But all I found were coyote and turkey tracks. I looped around and headed to the bedding to find the exact bed with an idea of figuring the set for next year.

There's additional info from observation sets that I'm not going to include but from the bed and all the scouting I have the staging off the bed before he cuts across the marsh to the preferred food source for the time I plan on hunting it next year. I also have the cam locations for next year and the set and the route in mapped out.

But the biggest thing is the bed. I have to say I'm very anxious about my huntin when I haven't dived in and found the exact bed.

Now to find the bed off the late season food source.

DaHunter

Re: Marsh Buck Bed

Unread postby DaHunter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Very nice! Any trees close enough to hunt, or will you be hunting from the ground?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Good find!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Nice find! I plan on starting next month and into March to start scouting for next fall. Also it depends on how much snow we get this winter.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Nice

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:23 pm

DaHunter wrote:Very nice! Any trees close enough to hunt, or will you be hunting from the ground?

Within 75 yards NE of the bed there's staging just before he enters the swamp to make his way to the primary food source. I picked a tree there for my set. I like that because on both of the runs across the marsh and back to the oak flat/prairie I wouldn't have too cut his track. Next year I'm also going to set a cam south of the bed to see if there are any daytime opportunities on that end. There are no immediate trees where he's bedding but plenty close enough, closer than I can probably get without detection. There's one that would allow me to cover all the exits from the bed. Even on a preset I think I'd be too close. But I got that in my pocket if I need to push it.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:49 pm

8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Awesome! Looks like a good find!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Awesome...
I think a lot of people scout without purpose and one big thing a lot of folks miss is now is the time to look close at the spots where you seen bucks, got pictures, had close calls, etc... And pin down exactly what was going on for next year.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Great find. Good luck next year.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”