Experienced Beast Method Hunting Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Experienced Beast Method Hunting Question

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:41 am

For you guys that have had success using the beast method of hunting.... what "IS or WAS" your hardest obstacle of learning and using this method?

GRUD
500 Club

Re: Experienced Beast Method Hunting Question

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 am

Knowing you only can effectively hunt a spot once or twice a season, finding enough spots to hunt for the whole season. After a few years of scouting I have been able to find many good public spots to keep my sits fresh. It always feels good hunting a spot you have not been into yet.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 pm

ttt
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

For me a huge obstacle in hunting this way is the need to be portable & for the last 6 or so years I've been filming with a partner when I hunt, which makes it really hard to be portable with 2 people stands & all the camera gear.
Another challenge for me is put in the amount of scouting needed to kill a buck in MI doing it this way. I love to do it out of state because I know there are big bucks around & being farm land I can put the puzzle pieces together easier then in MI.
This year being that I'm not partner filming, I'm going to put some serious time in scouting in MI to try & get a good buck here.

Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:08 am

To do it right, the spots have to be near your home to scout.

It's hard for an out of state hunt....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 am

Spysar wrote:To do it right, the spots have to be near your home to scout.

This is pretty true... I have done it out of state, or away from home and it calls for some serious scouting trips... Without the scouting trips, you can still do it via mapping and guessing on bedding based on experience... But, I would assume someone asking this question lacks in that experience of knowing what to look for... Another thing with traveling, if you hunt the same areas every time you travel you will learn more and more about the bedding and hunting in general every year you hunt the area.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:11 pm

dan wrote:
Spysar wrote:To do it right, the spots have to be near your home to scout.

This is pretty true... I have done it out of state, or away from home and it calls for some serious scouting trips... Without the scouting trips, you can still do it via mapping and guessing on bedding based on experience... But, I would assume someone asking this question lacks in that experience of knowing what to look for... Another thing with traveling, if you hunt the same areas every time you travel you will learn more and more about the bedding and hunting in general every year you hunt the area.

The more you so it the easier it becomes & you need to really do your homework before you go, via online & scouting trips.
What makes it easier for me is that doing it in farm country for years now & some years doing it multiple states in a year, I feel like I can really narrow things down & get on bucks quickly. Plus I have the mentality that is a good buck or two for me to get on. I don't have that mentality in MI & it's not the same farm type of terrain I hunt out of state.

Guess that is another huge learning point, you need to be mentally strong & keep positive knowing your hard work will pay off. If you are doing beast style you aren't going to have high success rates & at times even see huge numbers of deer because you are hunting mature deer & they are a different animal.

Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:48 pm

I wouldnt say I hunt "beast style" per say. I use alot of the info on this site to put things together on different properties. I still feel like I dont know anything most of the time. Identifying buck beds to me was and is still a challenge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”