The "Lesser" bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: The "Lesser" bucks

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:47 am

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Buckbuster28
Facebook: Alex Slosser

Unread postby Buckbuster28 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:48 pm

I have a few lesser buck pics I'd like to share but I don't know how to post pics from my phone...help please I have iPhone 4 if that makes a difference...don't mean to get off topic..thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:58 pm

First buck . West Virginia.Image First buck with a bow. Pennsylvania
Image Image

Buckbuster28

Unread postby Buckbuster28 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:16 am

Okay here are my "lesser" bucks they are the best ones I've taken but they aren't huge so I will consider them "lesser"
All are off public land and with a bow.

Illinois public land 2012
Ohio public land 2009&2010
Wisconsin public land 2010
And Where I'm from Michigan... public land 2010,2011&2013

Buckbuster28

Unread postby Buckbuster28 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:20 am

Here's my second lesser buck for this season here in Michigan on stateland...can only hunt does now and of corse do more scouting....would like to hold out for a bigger one but I know if you let one go here that is at least 2 1/2 years old you'll regret it!

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Buckbuster28 wrote:Image

Here's my second lesser buck for this season here in Michigan on stateland...can only hunt does now and of corse do more scouting....[glow=red]would like to hold out for a bigger one but I know if you let one go here that is at least 2 1/2 years old you'll regret it![/glow]

Amen.

You are slaying man, I have never been there but I heard it aint easy in the mitten.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:54 am

I have a lot of lesser bucks, haha. Most have great memories though. Image Image Image Image Image
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Bump! Gotta add my buck from last year to the list :lol:

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dampland

Unread postby Dampland » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:19 am

I've honestly never thought of anyone's bow killed bucks as "lessor", because it took me 15 years to get my first deer with a bow and he was a yearling 3 point. But I was then, and still today get super excited when talking about that buck. Bow hunting is hard, and any clean kill should be embraced. Congrats to all you successful hunters.
There is nothing better than the anticipation of the season, as the sun rises on opening morning.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:42 am

Dampland wrote:I've honestly never thought of anyone's bow killed bucks as "lessor", because it took me 15 years to get my first deer with a bow and he was a yearling 3 point. But I was then, and still today get super excited when talking about that buck. Bow hunting is hard, and any clean kill should be embraced. Congrats to all you successful hunters.

It was just a figure of speech....
I was referring to some of the smaller bucks that people don't tend to share. Look at the smiles in these photos..nothing "lesser about them". Everyone looks proud..as they should be.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:21 am

This buck was my first ever public land buck, and was my first deer hunting off the ground with my bow.
11-4-2011

This buck was a team effort between me and my little brother. It was shot like 4 times before it fell. It had a HUGE body for just a yearling buck. Had alittle palmation going on with his rack. Killed 8 years ago.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:53 am

Best Thread EVER...!!!
(Valley girl accent)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 am

Here is my buck from this year. Seems like the best place here for it. It is my first archery buck, first one from the ground and the first one with the ghillie suit (which has worked WAY better than I thought it would this season). A lot of firsts here. I was sitting on the edge of a swamp. The buck came walking into the small section of woods along the swamp at about 20 yards and continued straight at me to about 5 yards. He was looking right through me the entire time. He kept milling around and turned and was walking along the swamp and when he passed behind a tree that was 2 foot beside me, I swung all the way around and got ready for the shot. He was maybe 7 to 10 yards away when I shot. This is when it got crazy. He didn't know what happened and spun and ran (not bounding) STRAIGHT at me. I'm think oh man, here it comes! I'm getting my but ran over! He gets 3 feet from me at a dead run and turns (only because of the tree that was next to me) straight down the swamp edge. I could have touched him with an arrow as he went by. He blew blood all over the trees next to me as he went past. He ran about 20 yards and stopped and looked back like "What just happened?". He took two more bounds and dropped. So although he isn't big, it is the most memorable hunt I've ever had!

Here is me in a field with the ghillie suit on.

Every deer I have seen this year has been within 10 to 20 yards and I have not been seen once and you can always play the wind right. I am digging this!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 am

Congrats CallMeFishMael. That's a good buck. Nice gilly suit, always extra special killing one off the ground

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

My two bucks i killed this yr on back to back sits on public. I feel like they are great confidence building bucks for me. They have changed my perspective a bit on being able to pass younger bucks. Ive never passed a 2.5 yr old buck before but i think next yr. Will be the year. It all comes down to me realizing the potential of the ground i hunt. The land is producing the old bucks and i now have the confidence that i am capable of getting one. Its been hard since i havent really had anyones footsteps to follow in other than BEAST members. Most people i know personally are not consistent public land big buck killers. So i had to really convince myself that its really possible.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”