Are these deer trails in this picture?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Are these deer trails in this picture?

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 am

Potentially dumb question, but I keep noticing these lines going to and from likely beds when I am using Google Earth to scout. I've pointed a few out in a picture below at a marsh in which they go to and from two islands. Are these lines trails being used by bucks to go back and forth to their bedding through the marsh? If not, what are they? If so, are they reliable for predicting which way they leave/enter? :think:

Last edited by Clevinger on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PLB
500 Club

Re: Are these deer trails in this picture?

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 am

Yes they are deer trails.I would pick out bedding areas that a buck would prefer and walk them this spring.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 am

Yep, deer trails for sure. I keep a close eye on them when cyber scouting and also post scouting when I review the land I just walked make my hunting notes.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 am

Is it better when bucks are bedding on these marsh islands to ambush them at a point on the mainland or immediately on the edge of the island? Where will they stage and wait for darkness typically in this situations?

It would be easier to sneak into an area across from the island without being detected, but if they aren't going to cross over to me before darkness it's kind of a moot point.

Where do you guys typically go in these situations? For example, in the picture below would stand 1 or stand 2 be a better bet?

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 am

A lot of it depends on the distance as size of the island. If the island is tiny and the buck is bedding there you might have to hunt back on the edge or setup to shoot him from the ground on that trail. If the island is decent size and the buck is bedding on one end you would be better off hunt on the island. A 3rd senario has the buck bedding just off the island and staging on the island, again you need to get on that island to hunt him.
tutone84

Unread postby tutone84 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:36 am

I personally think you would be to far away to catch any big buck movement from those stands, maybe the island stand would work if you knew they were staging there. From what I have learned from Dan, I think you have to find where there bedded first and then set up accordingly. I would start looking on the transition lines first (my outlines on the map)

Finding the beds should be the easy part, finding a setup close enough to get a shot off is the tough part. ;)
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:50 am

tutone84 wrote:I personally think you would be to far away to catch any big buck movement from those stands, maybe the island stand would work if you knew they were staging there. From what I have learned from Dan, I think you have to find where there bedded first and then set up accordingly. I would start looking on the transition lines first (my outlines on the map)

Finding the beds should be the easy part, finding a setup close enough to get a shot off is the tough part. ;)

Thanks for the input. It sounds like for the bigger islands you may need to go out to the island itself. If it's a tiny island you should stay on the mainland.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 am

You need to find the beds, then figure out how close you can get.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 am

Are you assuming the beds are on those islands at the end of the trails? I think these guys are saying they might not be...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:39 am

Spysar wrote:Are you assuming the beds are on those islands at the end of the trails? I think these guys are saying they might not be...

I would say they are most likely not... They are most likely on the far side based on what I can see of bedding cover. I "think" he could easily set up on the islands, but the main point is, he has to have some clue as to where the beds are 1st... It it was season, and I never hunted there, I would zoom in closer and inspect for trails connecting to the upper island that appears to have better buck bedding, and look at differing aerials for more perspectives, but pretty sure I would end up "on" the island.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:06 am

dan wrote:
Spysar wrote:Are you assuming the beds are on those islands at the end of the trails? I think these guys are saying they might not be...

I would say they are most likely not... They are most likely on the far side based on what I can see of bedding cover. I "think" he could easily set up on the islands, but the main point is, he has to have some clue as to where the beds are 1st... It it was season, and I never hunted there, I would zoom in closer and inspect for trails connecting to the upper island that appears to have better buck bedding, and look at differing aerials for more perspectives, but pretty sure I would end up "on" the island.

I realize there is no escaping boots-on-the-ground scouting, but I am trying to narrow down my search for set-ups as much as possible.

No doubt I need to get out there and see where exactly they are bedding, but I'd like to improve my ability to anticipate where said beds will be.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:10 am

I realize there is no escaping boots-on-the-ground scouting, but I am trying to narrow down my search for set-ups as much as possible.

No doubt I need to get out there and see where exactly they are bedding, but I'd like to improve my ability to anticipate where said beds will be.

Actually, in cattail marsh, you can pretty accurately guess bedding and pick a tree while cyber scouting and have pretty good success.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:11 am

dan wrote:

Is it true, in general, that...

1. if the island is bigger the staging area is on the island itself.

2. if it's a tiny "island" such as an isolated tree or two out in the marsh, you are better off trying to ambush them on the edge of the mainland they are heading towards.

Just looking for trends based on your experience.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 am

Is it true, in general, that...

1. if the island is bigger the staging area is on the island itself.

2. if it's a tiny "island" such as an isolated tree or two out in the marsh, you are better off trying to ambush them on the edge of the mainland they are heading towards.

Just looking for trends based on your experience.

Obviously young bucks move a lot farther in daylight than mature bucks, so keep my thoughts based on "mature bucks"... Staging in my eyes is probably not what you think of staging... I believe, and my observations certainly support, that mature bucks stage within what I call there safe zone "most of the time"... A safe zone is an area where based on what the buck can see, smell, and hear, he feels no danger has entered while bedded. So the ideal set up is to sneak to the edge of the safe zone... Most of my mature buck kills in marsh type settings like the one you pictured are with 100 yards of the bucks bed. Most of the time closer. Getting the buck to cross open cattails from those islands is not impossible, but its certainly lowering your odds. Most people who would set up on the main land are rewarded with a glimpse of the buck on the island.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 am

if this is pubic they may be trails blazed by other hunters too. just something to think about.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”