help changin my "luck" for 2013

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbob

help changin my "luck" for 2013

Unread postby bigbob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:10 am

Afer havin a pretty rough year of seein alot of deer but not gettin any shot opportunities i'm ready to get alot more serious with my off season scouting etc. I do have a couple of questions though. 1. I go permission for a large area of "private" in the summer and spotted alot of nice bucks in late summer. Problem was it was not limited access at all and the more i scouted the more sign of other hunters i found. To make it worse once season started i ran into neighbors harassin me with 4wheelers and trucks etc. I do not know of any other areas so close to home with this kind of deer but really got discouraged with all the people, it really took the fun out of it. Would u guys stick it out and start gettin dropped off or walkin further to avoid trouble from neighbors followin my car or look for another area with less big deer and less pressure? 2. As far as post season scoutin is it better with snow,without, or doesnt matter?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

PLB
500 Club

Re: help changin my "luck" for 2013

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:20 am

I would look for another area personally. Sounds like too much pressure. It's fun watching big bucks all summer but they wise up to pressure of hunting season right away or they're dead. How big is this property? I would walk the entire area right after snowmelt and see if there is an area that gets overlooked or where nobody else goes. This is also the best time to scout and find buck beds. After snowmelt and before greenup. Wearing out a pair of boots in the spring when you're not disturbing anything is the best way to go. Seeing a lot of does, fawns, and little bucks is cool if that is what you're after. Those places won't produce any mature buck encounters though. They are a different animal and for the most part loners. There is no easy way to finding big bucks. Lots of hard work.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:22 am

I would stick with it and outsmart them by making sure they know you arent hunting. As far as scouting I like to scout without any snow so I can see all the old sign. Lots of the tracks and sign you see now is fresh and they wont be on the same pattern.

bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 am

The area is about 1300acres i believe with 2/3 being ag and the other 1/3 being river bottom. I looked pretty hard for overlooked spots but it was prettt much a bust. I'm real anxious to get on the scoutin and spot prep but was thinkin i'd be better off waitin til at least most the snow melted.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 am

You can certainly learn something by tracking bucks in the snow, been doing this for years as a scouting tool. Otherwise I would prefer to scout with no snow so you can see the beds and the scrapes easier.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 am

I will start walking tomorrow and not stop until April... more time = more learned
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 am

bigbob wrote:Problem was it was not limited access at all and the more i scouted the more sign of other hunters i found. To make it worse once season started i ran into neighbors harassin me with 4wheelers and trucks etc.

Why is that "hunters", and I use that term loosely, get so territorial about hunting locations? I get bent of shape sometime when i see other hunters in on the land I hunt on, but I'm not going to go slash tires, or try to run them over with a ATV. Crazy to me. There's no reason for someone to harass some else over deer. :roll:
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 am

im with u bowtech. Ive never got too upset and just tried to avoid people myself. But this year i saw things that i would have never imagined would happen lol. Aparently some people have way more free time than i do and they were really scared i might shoot one of "their" bucks

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 am

I started scouting this last weekend with the snow. I know the patterns will change before next bow season, but I now have spots for late season next year. I was able to locate beds and heavily used trails as well as forage areas. Once the snow melts I'll concentrate on sign for next fall. Besides all of that, it's hard to stay out of the woods after being out all season. Can't quit cold turkey, my wife might put me to work if I'm around all weekend!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”