Unconventional Ladder/Stand Setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Unconventional Ladder/Stand Setup?

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:50 am

:lol: :clap: :clap:
Great job guys! Thanks for sharing these, very clever set ups

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 am

Thats cool man let us know how you make out with it
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:47 pm

mike_mc wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:I started making this at the begining of early season. I think I used it on 6 marsh hunts. Each hunt offered different conditions (some soft marsh peat, some very wet cattails, some firm ground within red brush) It is still a work in progress, but I have it tweaked to a point I feel confident of a comfy, stealthy sit each time out. I initially was shooting for something even taller but that proved problematic and unnecessary. I can set this "tripod" up at three different seat heights. At it's tallest, the seat is 7' high, but, in reality it is more like 6' because the legs sink into the soft marsh. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I do not need any "feet" to support it in wet cattails. As long as you sink the legs evenly to keep the whole thing level, it is quite solid in the cattails. I never saw a buck while in the tripod, but i had some very surprised, close range does! This spring I will be looking for treeless ambush spots as I scout the marshes!

cost to make--$150 ( I used two Pack-n-stack ladder stands http://www.huntriversedge.com/foundatio ... &tab=parts

weight--36lbs

set up with seat 4' high

set up with seat 7' high

different view

folded up on back pack frame for easy (sort of) carry. I need to make a cloth cover so branches dont clank against it in heavy brush

My dog " Rowdie". The green things are giant twist ties to secure it to the pac frame

I tried to make a ladder that would be easier to carry than a standard ladder. at 36lbs and kinda bulky on my back it's not perfect, but I can set it up quietly and it is comfortable.

I would think if you just want to use a standard step ladder, wood is heavier but at least quiet. I would think an aluminum ladder would be impossible to keep quiet.

Klemz, did you ever use that stand much?

Ok, this response is a year late...oh well. Turns out I haven't used it as much as I thought I would, due mainly to the bulkiness of the packed up tripod moving through thick swamp brush. The times I have used it I have had encounters with deer at a higher frequency than I do hunting out of tree stands. A much higher rate. I believe this is because I use it in areas with zero possible tree stand set ups. In other words, no hunters have ever set up there before, and the deer know this.

However, I have had way more deer detect my presence when in the tripod. I try to place it behind or in a red brush clump, yet they still detect me. I think I am too tall and sky lighted when using it. If I were to design another one I would make it much shorter. This would make it easier to pack, and allow me to hide better, yet still give me an advantage to shoot over tall swamp grass....I think!
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:40 pm

I have been into step ladder stands for over 20 years,,,,, At one time their was a tree stand company, called Trail Hawk Tree Stands, out of La Crosse Wis. one of their stands was a 6 foot step ladder, with the inside foot area, that folded in, and a seat, you just stuck in, which fit and was a square tubular frame....... I bought one and the only mod I did, was put in some fitted wood on the bottom base, not to collect mud.....

I used it for years, in South Dakota in the sun flower fields and high grasses, and in Wisconsin doing the same in corn and high grass areas, and swamps.

Of course I loaned it out, so a guy could copy it at his tool and die shop, and never saw it again........... NO ONE, in the industry has ever designed one again, and those that came out with versions etc, were too heavy, to use.......

There has to be an interest in something like this....... I have little talents, so I never made one, but if I was going to design a stand, like the guys at the Beast, or XOP etc, this is what I would come out with,,,,,,,

So I modified various light step ladders thru the years, getting them as light as I could, and spraying them up,,,, fiberglass is the most solid, but still not as light as aluminum, which is noisy, and has too many other issues............

the stand that is posted on her, looks good.....BUT, the stand I had at the time, would just fold up, with the foot section folding in, and with the seat on, man, I could go anywhere with that.....

One of my secrets to hunting South Dakota, is the Water Fowl areas, by the water, in the cattails etc..... most duck hunters are hunting fields, they do not want them birds disturbed on the water holes,,,, however a step ladder is a great way to get in their and find them deer,,,,
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:35 am

Those things are sweet!
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:35 am

Here's an older thread with a homemade tripod. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33294
Would love for someone to fab up the bracket. The rest doesn't look too tough.
Let's go Brandon!
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 am

I have set a 12 foot step ladder in the bed of my truck for scouting ...................
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”