The importance of first time sits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

The importance of first time sits

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Looking back at my 2012 season there are 6 hunts that stand out mostly because I either passed up or saw nice bucks.

5 out of 6 of those hunts were 1st time sits...and the one that wasn't fell in place of the rut sometime in early November.

I believe going into an area and sitting it for the first time is an important and crucial key to seeing and getting onto older nicer bucks. If you go in and sit area's 2, 3, maybe 4 times all you are doing is spreading your scent around each and every time, further educating the deer. Which in turn blows them out of the area or keeps them nocturnal.

My 10pt I shot off public in 09 was a first time sit in early October, and my big 11pt this year was on a first time sit also.

I get more and more excited the more intel and spots I gather as I scout and hunt them because I know the next year I will get a crack at that first time sit again. I really think It's a key factor in having encounters with older smarter animals. I also believe first time sits are a lot bigger of a factor in being successful in Sept-Oct. Than Nov-Dec.

I'm sure others could further elaborate on the subject and agree that a lot of 1st time sits produce their bucks.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: The importance of first time sits

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Right on. You need to stay mobile.
Whats also just as important as a "1st sit" is not going in, setting up the stand, and stinking the area up, and then giving it a cool down period, or coming back the "next" day... 1st time sit needs to be sat the day you go in.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Great thread!! My 140 inch Public land Slob was killed Opening Day, I toyed with putting out a trail camera Labor Day wknd when I found that early buck sign. Deep down though I knew I was probably dealing with a mature animal and any disturbance wasn't worth the risk and would have tipped him off to my presence.Be mobile, keep the element of surprise in your favor!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:59 pm

I fully agree but I also think you can get away with a 2nd sit if you give The area enough time to cool down. Two of my bucks this yr were on first sits, one was on the 2nd sit, and I passed a 150 on a 3rd sit. That spot has perfect entrance and exit.

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Thinking back over the years every one of my bucks was killed on my first sit in that spot for the season. There is nothing better than the first sit before they figure out what is going on.

Too many guys set up stands and mess around with cameras but then cannot figure out why they don't ever see mature bucks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Dewey wrote:Thinking back over the years every one of my bucks was killed on my first sit in that spot for the season. There is nothing better than the first sit before they figure out what is going on.

Too many guys set up stands and mess around with cameras but then cannot figure out why they don't ever see mature bucks.

X2!! That's why mobile hunting is so cool! I'm doing a 1st time sit every hunt!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:19 pm

How many 1st sits were during rut verses non-rut.

Reason I ask is many deer are taken by people sitting in the same stand say 5&6 times per year, maybe more...
Of the deer I've killed I'd say half were on 1st sits and the others could have been after many sits...

Although 50% 1st sit kills is a nice ratio!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm

I would also like to add...EARLY 1st timesits are probably more important on public land than on managed/unpressured private lands. But I still think they would be important on unpressured lands as well...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:38 pm

Czabs wrote:I would also like to add...EARLY 1st timesits are probably more important on public land than on managed/unpressured private lands. But I still think they would be important on unpressured lands as well...

When I was interviewing Andrae for the video he was talking about all his great set stands. He has dozens of them... Says they pay off every now and then because they are in great spots in relation to bedding, or rut travel... He says that 95% the time he is in a set stand, but the 5% he is in a fresh hung 1st hunt stand, is when he shoots 95% of his biggest bucks. ;)
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:How many 1st sits were during rut verses non-rut.

Reason I ask is many deer are taken by people sitting in the same stand say 5&6 times per year, maybe more...
Of the deer I've killed I'd say half were on 1st sits and the others could have been after many sits...

Although 50% 1st sit kills is a nice ratio!

I've shot 3 bucks...

1st buck with my bow a yr old 6pter shot over a foodplot on private land, the 2nd sit. Date: October 4th

2nd buck with my bow a 2yr old 10pter shot on a point jutting out in the cattails on public land, the 1st sit. Date: October 8th

3rd buck with my bow a 4yr old 11pter shot on the edge of a bedding area (also is a transition line), the 1st sit. Date: November 9th
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm

dan wrote:
Czabs wrote:I would also like to add...EARLY 1st timesits are probably more important on public land than on managed/unpressured private lands. But I still think they would be important on unpressured lands as well...

When I was interviewing Andrae for the video he was talking about all his great set stands. He has dozens of them... Says they pay off every now and then because they are in great spots in relation to bedding, or rut travel... He says that 95% the time he is in a set stand, but the 5% he is in a fresh hung 1st hunt stand, is when he shoots 95% of his biggest bucks. ;)

Is that run and gun 1st time into an area ever and sitting a stand? Or is it picking out a tree in the offseason, hanging the stand, and then sitting it the first time come season?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Is that run and gun 1st time into an area ever and sitting a stand? Or is it picking out a tree in the offseason, hanging the stand, and then sitting it the first time come season?

With Andrae its in season scouting busting a move when sign dictates to do so... He is really big on scouting late mornings and finding fresh intel when there is a buck in the area he wants to kill.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:59 pm

First time sits are the best! I can't tell you how many times, now that you bring it up, that I have seen bucks and does, EARLY in the season and I say to myself "i'll be back here on X and X day" only to be dissapointed and never see them again, but still continue to hunt the areas from time to time, knowing I'm not going to see them. I guess the excitment of never knowing gets to me! I agree, everytime you set-up somewhere, it should always be "the first sit". Always on the move and relocating even if it's 50 yds. I need to do that more often.... :think:
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:25 pm

BowtechHunting wrote:First time sits are the best! I can't tell you how many times, now that you bring it up, that I have seen bucks and does, EARLY in the season and I say to myself "i'll be back here on X and X day" only to be dissapointed and never see them again, but still continue to hunt the areas from time to time, knowing I'm not going to see them. I guess the excitment of never knowing gets to me! I agree, everytime you set-up somewhere, it should always be "the first sit". Always on the move and relocating even if it's 50 yds. I need to do that more often.... :think:

EXACTLY. I've gone back to areas having a game plan and thinking I know whats going to happen but Its almost always a bust after that 1st sit. That big buck you pulled back on or saw likely knew you were there or will find out you were there before you go back to kill him. Gonna try to go for all 1 sitters this next yr EARLY. I think I might sit a couple rut stands more than once if I still have my tag.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Are most of you guys referring to being completely mobile and hanging a stand each sit or is it the first time in that stand weather set up that day or two to three months earlier?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”