Using some of the "Other" Tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Using some of the "Other" Tactics

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Tadmdad wrote:
dan wrote:You need to adapt in order to be successful everywhere... Did you get the buck?

Agreed, every new hunt and location, brings different challenges. Yes, all 3 deer on the same still hunt, reminded me of being 12 yo again hunting rabbits with a single shot 22.

Looking at that map, your tactic seems to be the best one for fast success... I think a lot of guys look at it differently cause they spend a great deal of time on a property like that, and don't want to push the deer off to the neighbors and have nothing to hunt. On a short trip to an area, or with a lot of ground to cover, your tactic with the gun seemed like a perfect plan. Congrats!

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:50 am

It's all about other tactics. I love all methods of deer hunting, and going to different places. Right on.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:20 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Great post Tad, as usual.......but have to say I am still strugling to find all those AA batteries in the 6v lantern battery. :? :lol:

Thanks Hodag.....and yes a friend of mine sent me that link about the 6v battery, really didn't do the research before I posted it. Guess if it's on the internet it must be true....yeah right. :roll:
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 am

I think we have kinda got tunnel vision nowdays and many are limiting their options.... and success.[/quote]

Have to agree.....it maybe that we watch to much tv these days and consider what we see as a reality, just never been good at living in the box.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:28 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:That is so cool. Bow or gun?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Muzzleloader, in Missouri.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:31 am

Scot wrote:Congratulations! I love to still hunt. Great to take it to the game.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thanks.....even a blind squirrel finds a nut "once in a while"
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:40 am

dan wrote:
Tadmdad wrote:
dan wrote:You need to adapt in order to be successful everywhere... Did you get the buck?

Agreed, every new hunt and location, brings different challenges. Yes, all 3 deer on the same still hunt, reminded me of being 12 yo again hunting rabbits with a single shot 22.

Looking at that map, your tactic seems to be the best one for fast success... I think a lot of guys look at it differently cause they spend a great deal of time on a property like that, and don't want to push the deer off to the neighbors and have nothing to hunt. On a short trip to an area, or with a lot of ground to cover, your tactic with the gun seemed like a perfect plan. Congrats!

Think that is a good analogy Dan. Think with every hunt we set different goals, this hunt was 5 days and we had 10 properties available to hunt, so wasn't to concerned with burning any particular property. As this hunt unfolded with the sign that was on this particular property. I'm sure that I didn't kill the best buck that was available, sure with a little more time the approach would have been different, also the goal would have been different.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:47 am

Spysar wrote:It's all about other tactics. I love all methods of deer hunting, and going to different places. Right on.

Agreed Spy....was a different hunt than what we are use too. New places and living in the moment, its all good.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:47 am

Tadmdad wrote:I think we have kinda got tunnel vision nowdays and many are limiting their options.... and success.

Have to agree.....it maybe that we watch to much tv these days and consider what we see as a reality, just never been good at living in the box.

It would be too hard to put together a TV show using "other tactics". Other tactics usually involve more work.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 am

Sounds like a great hunt!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 am

Great reminder about being versatile! Sometimes I think we - myself included - focus the hunt around the tree stand instead of the deer way too much. We immediately look for stand trees when looking at a place to hunt which bypasses sometimes very good alternatives to putting ourselves within range of a deer. Taking a big buck on the ground at close range is definitely an added rush too!!!

This buck came to 30 feet, on the ground, with me behind a couple fallen logs. I snort wheezed him in and just about went to pieces watching him swagger in looking to kick my but. I definitely did go to pieces after the arrow was released.

I have found much better success gun hunting being mobile over being pinned to a tree...This deer just about gave me a heart attack when he popped out of a ditch 30 yards away on a late season still hunt. I can still remember seeing that giant rack materialize right in front of me (ML hunt). Ground level can be a whole new level of rush!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:59 am

Nice bucks Joe. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”