Water Hole Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Water Hole Hunting

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:36 am

For those of you that hunt water holes, how did it go this year? Was it a natural or man-made water source? Curious to hear how it went...

Did anyone catch the "In Pursuit" episode where one of the pro-staff was hunting Buffalo County (Wis.) in late September? He hunted over a small chicory plot, inside the woods just off of the inside corner of an alfalfa field. He ended up taking a big 6 X 6 over it in late September.

And right in the middle of the little plot, was a slightly buried black livestock watering tub- the next size up from the one I posted about using in 2009. I had a world-class wilderness giant using that tub, thought some of you might find that interesting. Anywho, here is my old post:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just over a year ago, I put in place a livestock heavy duty rubber water tub off to the side of a big bucks bed on the prevailing downwind side of a bluff, in a remote wilderness area. It was placed in the bottom of a dry creek bed, rock lined, that drained the bluff every time it rained. Whenever it rained the tub was refilled to the top with fresh water. I spot checked it in August, and was thrilled to find whitetail, moose and black bear hitting my water tub. If you look at the first pic below, you can see the ground churned up on the top and right side of the tub. I placed the log on the left side of the tub to position the buck, as it stuck up about a foot or so and they don't like having to straddle a log.

I found large, clumped deer droppings from the buck, along with his 4 finger wide walking tracks, next to the water tub:

I also had a moose watering from the tub:

And a black bear watering there, he scratched up this tree and I found black bear hair on the bark:

This water tub is many, many hours drive from my home. I first hunted it in early October, and heard the buck approaching from his bed 20 minutes before dark. Before I got a visual, he let out a soft snort and vanished. He had winded me, and I thought I had played the thermals well enough (not). I returned to hunt it again in the late prerut- poor planning on my part, as the tub was filled with hundreds and hundreds of maple leaves from leaf drop- including about a foot of extra leaves over the top of the tub- lessson learned.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Water Hole Hunting

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:01 am

I hunted my waterhole 3 times this year. Once in Sept. once in Oct. and once in Nov. Had deer every time. Only shooter was chasing a doe and never got close enough. Otherwise every deer I saw came to the water.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:21 pm

Ive never done this but from reading a few threads on this site I am planning on doing something like this in a small clearing area in my woods. Any tips on how I should do this? Setup, picking the right spot, etc..
GregH

Unread postby GregH » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:36 pm

I have a small water hole in my woods. It was a natural one that I enhanced with my tractor. It is a great site for hunting as well a for a camera. I get pics of all sorts of critters there.

Here's a buck I shot this year. He's on his death run. My bloody arrow is standing almost straight up to the left of the water ring where he was drinking.

Here's a Fisher that was hanging around. He even climbed half way up my tree when I was in my stand!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Did a thread on water holes in the trail camera forums. Lots of pics and info.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Great topic SB.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Stanley wrote:Did a thread on water holes in the trail camera forums. Lots of pics and info.

Thanks, ill check that out.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 am

Sorry to bug, but could someone post a link to the thread Stanley is talking about? I looked through the trail cam section and could not find it. We are putting in a water hole this year so any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 am

I'm on the road, will get it for you when I get back if Stanley doesn't see this...

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 am

Here is another one under the deer hunting section. It was titled bedded buck pic.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16904
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:23 am

Ah, just saw the search button up there- my bad! Thanks for the help!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:38 am

I would recommend strongly to watch the Hill Country DVD before making a water source or you spend time hunting a water source, if you are looking purely for a mature buck. Just like a food source, all water is not equal.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:48 am

PalmettoKid wrote:I would recommend strongly to watch the Hill Country DVD before making a water source or you spend time hunting a water source, if you are looking purely for a mature buck. Just like a food source, all water is not equal.

I agree, its covered pretty good in that DVD. Its available in our online store.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 am

The positioning of the water hole is very important... The Hill Country dvd discusses this in detail. The small water holes also require precise positioning. Just putting in a water hole near a good tree(s) to hunt is a BAD IDEA. it is important to get past the "bait pile" hunting menality with your water hole to make it effective for good bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”