Saddest Thing I Have Ever Seen While Hunting!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Saddest Thing I Have Ever Seen While Hunting!

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:58 pm

During my Iowa hunt we drove past a big buck and I said lets turn around so I can film him. When we pulled up I started filming and quickly realized he was blind. I got out and put the camera on my tripod to get better footage and could not believe what I was filming. This buck's one eye was gone and the other was almost hanging out. My friend started calling to find out who the land owner was to get permission to put this animal out of his misery but he would not allow us on the property. This was the saddest thing I had ever seen during a hunting season and watching him walk without knowing where he was going was incredibly sad. I filmed him for almost 5 minutes, the footage will be seen on an upcoming episode of Lake Country Whitetails on The Sportsman Channel.

wmihunter

Re: Saddest Thing I Have Ever Seen While Hunting!

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:06 am

That's too bad! What a shame

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:51 am

That sucks.

I would guess on average i see 2-3 mortally wounded deer enter our family farm every gun season. This year had two wounded in a row enter (out of range) into our safe zone..

Three years ago i shot a 3 legged brisket hit/shot 2 yo that was being harassed by another 2 yo but could barely stand and was taking a few antler jabs to the side. Watched the show at 200 yards for matber an hour before i couldnt take anymore. When i returned with the wheeler to pick him up i saw one of the target bucks within archery range of the stand i was in. I was not happy and did not smile for how i burned my tag despite my ethical efforts. I couldve done something similar almost every year I have hunted...

On a different note, though one to be mentioned i drive i done for work......and the things I have seen roadside with whitetails are everybit as bad. My buddy once saw two guys pull over when a lady hit a mature buck. One had a saw and a hammer and they got in a fight over the buck she hit and only my friend went to her aide.

Attrition isnt the topic of a greeting card but is a real part of real life...we cannot manage or harvest game with what we feel is best and stay within legal compliance
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:02 am

Couldn't you have reported it to the DNR or would they have said it is nature and you shouldn't interfere?
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:20 am

Why the landowner would not permit you to put this animal down is what has me most upset! All they did was assure that this animal would suffer greatly.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:48 am

if coyotes don't take him down, there is a good chance he'll end up in someones windshield.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:05 am

Thats too bad. Not a pleasant sight to say the least.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 am

That is really sad. Can't believe the landowner would not let you put the buck out of his misery but hope the buck wandered onto neighboring land and was put down.

I hold onto my tags pretty tight waiting for a good buck until the end of the bow season but would not hesitate to use it on a badly wounded buck no matter how big it is. I believe as sportsman that is the right thing to do and the fact that the landowner wouldn't allow that really bothers me.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:39 am

Your a bigger man than I am. I think I would have taken the risk and put him down. Like Dewey said, as a conservationist and sportsman it's our responsibility. Period. I would like to think that I would allow it if someone seen the same thing on my hypothetical land.

But, let's hope the Yotes get him and he doesn't end up as a hood ornament on a Cady.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:48 am

Take note all you young guns...

This is what a piece of tail can cause durinng rut - a good ash-woopin by another male.
Beware - some woman are evil and like to see this behavior between males :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:57 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Take note all you young guns...

This is what a piece of tail can cause durinng rut - a good ash-woopin by another male.
Beware - some woman are evil and like to see this behavior between males :mrgreen:

Haha, if I were a young gun I would take note, but that is good words of wisdom! :lol:
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:12 am

BowtechHunting wrote:Your a bigger man than I am. I think I would have taken the risk and put him down. Like Dewey said, as a conservationist and sportsman it's our responsibility. Period. I would like to think that I would allow it if someone seen the same thing on my hypothetical land.

But, let's hope the Yotes get him and he doesn't end up as a hood ornament on a Cady.

X2. i dont think i could have just left this deer to wander into traffic or get eaten alive by yotes.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:50 am

Nature is a cruel beast. If we are in a situation to help that is great but sometimes things are out of our control and we have to let it run its course.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Monster Raxx wrote: I filmed him for almost 5 minutes, the footage will be seen on an upcoming episode of Lake Country Whitetails on The Sportsman Channel.

And just what do you expect to achieve by that?
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:22 pm

UntouchableNess wrote:
Monster Raxx wrote: I filmed him for almost 5 minutes, the footage will be seen on an upcoming episode of Lake Country Whitetails on The Sportsman Channel.

And just what do you expect to achieve by that?

I dont expect to achieve anything from the video but it shows how cruel nature can be and that these bucks will fight to near death and sometimes even death during the rut.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”