What the is wrong with people?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

What the is wrong with people?

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:09 am

I want to start this story with event's that have lead up to the current situation bothering me:

A few years ago, I was hunting in my stand and I received a call from one of my hunting partner's, and my father's good friend, and cousin by marriage. He had arrowed a doe and it was spined and he was wondering what he should do. I told him to put another arrow in it and end it's suffering. So after dark I went to meet him at his stand to help drag. To my surprise the deer was still alive. My father and another hunting member came also to help, both were unaware of the phone call to me and thought he just shot it at dark. Somehow this "cousin" decided slitting it's throat was the best way to finish this deer off. First of all, I had never seen this done, and to shorten a story I would never recommend this PERIOD!! My father and I walked off and I vowed to never hunt with this "cousin" again.

A couple years after this, my father talks me into letting him come out to one of our go to spot's in the middle of the rut. I ended up shooting a nice 9 pt the first night, and then the following night arrowed my first pope and young buck, a dandy 10 pt. I must say this before continueing, our rule is no does' in these spots and absolutely no bucks under 3.5yrs old. The next night it was just him and my father out, as i was tagged out, this "cousin" shots a doe in the a$$;said it was the only shot he had :naughty: seriously dude!! My dad was very upset to say the least, deer was never recovered and one of our spots was totally blown. Very next night he shots and wounds a 1.5 old 4 point and instead of waiting the last hour(deer thirty) he starts wandering around in our cattail swamp and my dad can see him wandering around. He was mad. He called me up and told me, and I told him time to end this hunting friendship. Which he did.

Fast forward to the next year, we had soooo much trouble with him hunting our spots, and bringing whoever he wanted around, and just being a plan out jerk. So we moved and found new spots.

I just got a text message from his son, me and his son are really good friends, nothing like his father. In the message is a picture of a 13pt that was harvested by his dad, such explained "cousin". He shot this deer from his garage, off a bait pile, at night outside legal hunting hours by about 2 hours after dark! I was very mad to say the least, and I put him in his rightful place and even contemplated calling the local warden, but I wasn't raised that way. Not only does he live next to a nature presserve with no hunting allowed, but him wanting some sort of congratulations on this deer is absurd. And he's telling other's we know like he shot it all legal. What a joke!! POS in my opinion, that deer deserved way better!
Last edited by Uncle Lou on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: bad word

Stump

Re: What the is wrong with people?

Unread postby Stump » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:30 am

Turn the guy in then.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:15 am

A lot of people don't play by the rules. Nothing new, just how people are. Some people will do whatever it takes to get a deer and could care less about rules. I know alot of people that way, I just dont hunt with them or get excited when they kill something.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:36 am

That's sad. Turn him in .
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:39 am

I would have a real hard time not turning the guy in. It's obvious he doesn't care and if he is dumb enough to brag he deserves to get caught.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:50 am

Sadly I think that is the demise of many big bucks in this state, especially in the northwoods. Get rid of bait and a lot of poaching would end!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:54 am

That is not that unusual, unfortunately.

If your friends with his kid you probably made a good decision not turning him in.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
camocat

Unread postby camocat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Have a cousin just like this thats why i moved on.Now hunt with a great group of guys and he hasnt changed.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:37 pm

:shock: :naughty:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Tell your mom to leave an anonymous tip and turn him. Say the next door neighbors herd him shoot at dark a deer. I'm not saying to lie, but you need to do someting. People continue to do this because no one does anything about it. He needs to learn a lesson, even though your freinds with his son. That deer deserved a much better life. Sad.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:57 pm

I was friends with someone very similar to this. Found out they poached a deer near me. I turned him in and am no longer friends with them but he doesn't know it was me who turned him in. The tip line is anonymous so no worries I'n your part.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Turn him in man. That POS will never learn otherwise.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:03 am

We call these people slob hunters and I have zero tolerance for them. I'd turn him in in a minute. If someone doesn't change his way of thinkin, his son(s) might grow up with the same kind of huntin style. I'd turn him in. People like that are somewhat common around here.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:14 am

It's such a hard thing to do, because his son and me are so close. It would stir up our family, but I have thought about calling didn't realize the hotline is anonymous. Thanks for all he insight guys, it's why I love this site

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:42 am

Hate to go against the Beast grain here but I'd let him do his thing in his corner of the world and I'd do mine, in my corner. Especially if he's family. Sounds like a knob to me, and not the type of guy I'd share a camp with, which you seem to finally have sorted out. But if he's pathetic enough that he gets that much excitement out of poaching a trophy buck, I'd feel sorry for him before I'd turn him in. Let him be pathetic and poach his nature preserve deer, at least he's not messing with you on your land anymore. That's just my $.02. I used to be a bit of a pot stirrer, even on this site, but I've learned there's a lot of different people in this world with lots of different opinions and the more I run around lighting fires, the less I get to enjoy the good stuff in life, the stuff that's going on in my corner of the world ;)
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”