Scent of a Whitetail-My first picture in a magazine

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chadhaucke

Scent of a Whitetail-My first picture in a magazine

Unread postby chadhaucke » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm

I see Mike posted a topic about the new North American Whitetail magazine for this month. I actually have part of a story and a couple pictures of the 182 inch buck I killed down in Illinois this past season in the new issue. Its a story about the dog that found my deer for me 30 hours after I shot it. The same dog also found three othe bucks in that same 24 hour period for a total of over 670 inches of antler. It was pretty amazing watching those dogs work on that blood trail. Its my first ever picture in a magazine so I was pretty pumped to get my hands on it. Ill try and post some pictures from the article as soon as I learn how to do it. Ive tried already but something isnt working for me. I also want to say in the article it says I was hunting with Hadley Creek Outfiters but what it forgot to say is that it was a self-guided hunt and what myself and my buddy did was all on our own, he shot a 151 inch ten point also when we were down there. Just dont want people thinking I went down there on some fully guided hunt and paid for the deer I shot, because that is something I would never do. Anyway it was pretty cool to see my deer in a great magazine like NAW.

Dewey

Re: Scent of a Whitetail-My first picture in a magazine

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Great buck. 8-) I just read that article yesterday and thought that was pretty cool how the dog found all of those deer.
Were you one of the guy's that gave him a big man hug like the article said when his dog found your buck? I know I sure would have. That must have been a big relief!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Congrats 8-)
I have the magazine on my work bench I will check it out after I get off line.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Chad, congrats on having your picture/buck in NAW- very cool. I've probably got that copy around here somewhere, if not I'll pick one up. 8-)
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Congrats on your publication in the NAW Mag ,good stuff !Did you mention it was in the newest edition ? Which month ?
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:17 am

GREAT stuff!!!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:52 am

Great Article. Cool to have your picture in a magazine. A buddy of mine shot a huge whitetail in 2008, and got his picture on the cover of a magazine, the following year.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:26 am

I read 1/2 the article and then while I was busy the magazine took a walk :roll:
It was a pretty interesting article. I was really interested in what the guy said about waiting a day or two before tracking to make sure the deer was dead. He said that his blood hounds noses are so good with or without blood the dog either finds the buck, or its still alive.
Remember, the whole woods is full of deer and his dog can tell which one he is on the trail of.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:30 am

I liked that bloodhound article, I read it while on the pot the other morning.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 am

Congrats that is pretty cool.....MUDDY your cracking me up dude!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
chadhaucke

Unread postby chadhaucke » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Thats funny Muddy I think thats were I get my best reading in, haha. I forgot to say in my post that I actually shoulder shot that buck the second day I was down there. My arrow deflected off a branch I never saw, and the arrow just barely stuck in him. So we looked for him the next morning didnt find him so I went back and sat for the rest of the day. Then the next morning I watched a beautiful 10 pt chase a doe every which way for over 2 hours and never once come into bow range. Switched stands at noon and at 3 I had that same 10 pt bed with that doe 45 yards away until right before dark. He got up and walked by me at 25 yards and once again I wacked a branch and watched my arrow go right underneath him. I was in awe and ready to go home. So on comes the next couple days we saw numerous mature bucks on there feet all day long and 2 days later I shoot a huge heavy horned 8 pt,prolly upper 150's. I hit it kinda far back so we backed out and had the dog in the article come in the next morning and help us look. We never ended up finding that 8 pt. At this point I dont even know what to do I was so beside myself. I had two more days to hunt and didnt even want to crawl back up in a stand. I just couldnt figure out what was going on.I shoot archery all summer long and shoot throughout the season I was just ready to quit and my buddy says we have two days left and your not quitting. Anyway the next day I end with the same buck that I shoulder shot the second day of the hunt in front of me at 30 yards and at this point im so nervous I can barely get my bow back but I did and I ended up hitting him pretty good. At this point I wasnt taking any chances so I called John and asked him if he had a little bit of time to give us a hand again on the deer. He came and we recovered the deer in a pond quite some time later. It was a crazy week and one I will never forget and the best part of the whole thing is that I have every second of every thing that happend on video. My buddy that shot his buck in Oct when we were there was in the tree with me for everything that week and got it all on video.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:28 am

Congratulations Chad I will have to pick up that magazine. By the way I work with Adam V. is there any chance that you would be willing to share your video?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:34 am

ttsbuck wrote:Congratulations Chad I will have to pick up that magazine. By the way I work with Adam V. is there any chance that you would be willing to share your video?

We are hoping to use Chads Video in the upcoming Farm country DVD.
I talked to chad briefly about it.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Dan will the hunting farm land video be available by september?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:08 pm

No... But spring is a possibility.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”