Shipping Shoulder Mounts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

Shipping Shoulder Mounts?

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:37 am

Has anyone had any experience with this? A relative of mine is moving back close to home. He wants to ship (FedEx, UPS, etc) his shoulder mounts to me so they don't get ruined in a moving truck while transiting across country. He's driving his personal truck back, but he doesn't have enough room for his 4 mounts. Any ideas to get the job done safely and at a decent price? Thanks in advance gents.

VA

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Shipping Shoulder Mounts?

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:43 am

I would send them in a car. It would depend on how far.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:46 am

I would rent a closed in trailer and bring them myself. I wouldn't trust any transit company with something you really can't replace.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:48 am

I work for an LTL freight carrier. Be sure to let the carrier know you are shipping taxidermy work. Many carriers will not haul mounts due to their insurance guidelines.

Honestly...I see how things are handled and no way I would ship any of my mounts!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:10 am

backstraps wrote:I work for an LTL freight carrier. Be sure to let the carrier know you are shipping taxidermy work. Many carriers will not haul mounts due to their insurance guidelines.

Honestly...I see how things are handled and no way I would ship any of my mounts!!!

True that.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:22 am

Greyhound/trailways is the least expensive.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 am

I recently moved with Atalas Vanlines. These guys were top of the line. I told them ahead of time that I had mounts. When they arrived they were the first thing they packed. They made something out of their closet boxes and wrapped the antlers and mounts very carefully! They made a special box and wrap for my turkey fans as well. When they arrived in ND with our shipment the mounts were in the back of the truck strapped to the side of the trailer, boxes wrapped in blankets, and no other moving boxes around them. I was very impressed. It obviously depends on who is shipping them and if you trust them. After seeing them package the mounts I was fine and had no worries. Top notch guys too. Maybe it helped that they were hunters.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 am

I would build some sturdy crates for them and ship them with the rest of the moving van.

If you go to Taxidermy.net and search for something like "crates" or "ship crates" I know there are some posts about making them for shipping mounts.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 am

I would strongly suggest not shipping mounts.

VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:16 pm

adrenalin wrote:I would strongly suggest not shipping mounts.

I agree with you 100%. I tried to talk him out of it, but he is bent on shipping them. I sent him the links to tax.net and he hasn't responded yet. I think that may be his best bet. I told him why risk a shipping company doing it? Just build those crates for the two he can't fit in his truck and have the mover strategically place them in the moving truck. If it were me, I'd be more comfortable with that than entrusting a shipping company with my mounts. Thanks for the responses guys.

VA
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:42 pm

VA5326 wrote:
adrenalin wrote:I would strongly suggest not shipping mounts.

I agree with you 100%. I tried to talk him out of it, but he is bent on shipping them. I sent him the links to tax.net and he hasn't responded yet. I think that may be his best bet. I told him why risk a shipping company doing it? Just build those crates for the two he can't fit in his truck and have the mover strategically place them in the moving truck. If it were me, I'd be more comfortable with that than entrusting a shipping company with my mounts. Thanks for the responses guys.

VA

The sad truth about shipping anything valuable....regardless of the crate used, accidents happen. I have seen freight that should be "indestructable" end up as a total loss. Things happen when hundreds and hundreds of shipments has to be handled in a short given amount of time.

Best advice I can give... IF he decides to ship the mounts, find a carrier that will handle the shipments th e least amount of times. The more times it is unloaded from one unit and loaded back onto anotherm naturally the more chances of damage.

I would look into finding a Greyhound terminal that may actually go from origin to destination direct or with only swing over.

INSURANCE!!! Be sure and add insurance with accurate description of contents.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”