people catching on to your hunting spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: people catching on to your hunting spots

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 am

I had a Warden tell me once when I came out late from hunting really deep in the marsh that I should tape an aerial map in the window of my truck marking where I hunt so they can find me if anything happens... I laughed pretty hard at that one.

VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:04 pm

dan wrote:I had a Warden tell me once when I came out late from hunting really deep in the marsh that I should tape an aerial map in the window of my truck marking where I hunt so they can find me if anything happens... I laughed pretty hard at that one.

Man, that's funny. I'm surprised he didn't "demand" to see where you shot it at.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
jelmore

Unread postby jelmore » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:08 pm

I think sometimes you just need to flat out lie about where you shot your buck, especially on public.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Loose lips sink ships. I am super high on the integrity and honor portion when it comes to hunting grounds. I have pretty much been scooped on every peice of hunting land I have ever hunting, all but one. I know what it feels like, and I have never done that. People recognize your truck and know where you are, I really liked dan's comment about producing a decoy vehicle in other hunting spots. LOL!! I love it, hilarious but I bet very effective. Their idea of hard work is working you hard where to go.

I learned this when I was really young and first started out in hunting. It was my very first year hunting. My father and I were doing a small push and stalk. AKA: he was pushing to me while I walked really slow on a trail. He jumped a monster out of a buck bed that held a pig he hunted years ago. Thought maybe the bed would be productive again. (It is really ironic and foolish how this message of targeting buck beds was right in front of us the whole time, we even used it once in awhile, but never really put the focus solely on it, even though it was righ in front of us. Blind. It wasn't until Dan's video that the light switch clicked.)

It ran right across me I guess but I can tell you honestly my young dumb but never saw it somehow. He still could see it from where he was in the reeds yelling for me to shoot it as it was going up the hill. Never saw it still, I was 12, that is was my defense. Anywho, that day and the next night he talked about it with a few guys from the fire dept and also while we were at the bar for lunch. This private piece of land had NOBODY, and I mean nobody, hunted for years and years (except the few treks out by my father.) That next year...... There was no kidding 20+ that ran through that wood lot as somepoint during that 9 day season. Some even waited, hiding in the distance, till we left for a quick lunch and then push the lot real fast. We found actual tail, whole tail, that was shot off where we parked when we came back. The farmer was friendly and never told anyone no, once the story got out about this monster and that Bill wouldn't say no to anyone.... pst.... EVERYONE came out there. Some of the guys that came had some of the best, primo, private land Jefferson County had to offer. They all came. Finally it got to be so ridiculous after 4 years of this, their son stepped in and "leased it" to someone to keep people from bothering his parents. He didn't hunt. One word of a absolute slob wrecked it all in 4 short years. That has stuck with me ever since. By the way, that buck was hit with a arrow by one of the neighbors early season the following year. Farmer found it while taking the corn down.

I do have a couple people I trust with some stuff, but not many. I have to be ultra carefull. Like I said, I have been scooped on all places except one. And that is because they can't get in there. It's private.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:21 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I used to put hunting stickers on my truck...I removed all of these to avoid advertising that I'm hunting.

I don't have any stickers on my truck and I am actually considering getting a sticker to purposely throw people off (geo-caching, mountain biking, hiking sticker).

Something else that I do is I will purposely park on the opposite side of the road from where I am hunting. It may seem like a small detail, but if someone comes back and walked in the woods on the same side as your truck is parked and they didn't see anything, they may not put the effort into walking where you were actually hunting and therefore you may just save your honeyhole.
Last edited by xpauliber on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:33 pm

adrenalin wrote:People are weird. I guess Im just the opposite of most. I dont want to know where you are hunting because if it was somewhere close to where I go or plan on scouting I dont want you to think I stole your spot. Actually the first time I saw marsh Bucks I recognized some of the spots from ciber scouting and was planning on checking the marsh out that spring. So because of that I have never scouted or pursued that marsh. I hunt pretty close to Dan and have thought about asking his opinion on a few of my spots but if I found out he hunted those areas I wouldnt hunt them anymore. When people ask me I just lie, almost everytime. I even tell people, if you want to know I can make something up.... If you think hunting is bad try fishing...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I completely understand your thinking here. I used to hunt with some different guys, but when we went to "my" spots to hunt, they became "our" spots and I no longer had to be there for them to hunt those spots. Sucks! Now I'm pretty much a lone wolf unless my brother is around.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:17 pm

dan wrote:I had a Warden tell me once when I came out late from hunting really deep in the marsh that I should tape an aerial map in the window of my truck marking where I hunt so they can find me if anything happens... I laughed pretty hard at that one.

It would be funny to do that on a busy public parking lot but sit in a totally different spot for an observation stand to watch all of the yahoos trying to find you. Would be cheap entertainment for the day and would make great video! :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 pm

xpauliber wrote: I used to hunt with some different guys, but when we went to "my" spots to hunt, they became "our" spots and I no longer had to be there for them to hunt those spots.

EXACTLY. I actually lost a couple of friendships due to that when I asked them what they were doing? They got all bent and offended when I asked. I was always calm when it happened but they sure got sore and quit calling me. I guess I was a friend of convienece who had hunting spots. When that was in question they didn't have much use for me I guess. I have learned, but still have my trusting moments. I should know better.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:42 pm

yeah curtis I know there was a ton of buzz about your deer and give you a lot of credit for dealing with the deuschbags....Like you said, its those guys that want instant knowledge about your spot and are the same guys who aren't willing to do the work. They want instant gratification. Say a few do even find your tree. The big bucks will likely catch on and move, and your just gonna figure out their new pattern in a year or two and kill another big one. Thats the difference between a wannabe know-it-all and a Beast
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 am

xpauliber wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I used to put hunting stickers on my truck...I removed all of these to avoid advertising that I'm hunting.

I don't have any stickers on my truck and I am actually considering getting a sticker to purposely throw people off (geo-caching, mountain biking, hiking sticker).

Something else that I do is I will purposely park on the opposite side of the road from where I am hunting. It may seem like a small detail, but if someone comes back and walked in the woods on the same side as your truck is parked and they didn't see anything, they may not put the effort into walking where you were actually hunting and therefore you may just save your honeyhole.

I have some sponsor stickers and camo paint on my main truck... But when I am hunting a spot people could find, its usually the decoy car, It has some "throw off" stickers on it, which I won't say what they say on here...
When you talk about parking on the other side of the road it reminds me of bear hunting... You get a lot of guys that like to follow ribbon trails in and steal stands, screw with your bait cause they hunt the area too, or are just nosey... I often put my marker on the trail or road a good distance from the actual spot I go in, I park by the marker and don't go in while cars or people are watching. My actual marker will be a rock, stick, weird shaped tree etc... Something natural... Never use a tin can, bottle, or other piece of garbage. Believe it or not, there are still a few good guys out there that pick up trash when they see it.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 am

Reading this thread is just making me laugh. BEASTS are definitely a different type of hardcore. Nowhere else on a hunting forum will you find these tactics. Haha It's sad we even have to have this discussion, but it's true. On other forums you will probably find threads on HOW to find a guys spot when you see his truck sitting there. :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:21 am

xpauliber wrote:Reading this thread is just making me laugh. BEASTS are definitely a different type of hardcore. Nowhere else on a hunting forum will you find these tactics. Haha It's sad we even have to have this discussion, but it's true. On other forums you will probably find threads on HOW to find a guys spot when you see his truck sitting there. :lol:

X2!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:27 am

xpauliber wrote:Reading this thread is just making me laugh. BEASTS are definitely a different type of hardcore. Nowhere else on a hunting forum will you find these tactics. Haha It's sad we even have to have this discussion, but it's true. On other forums you will probably find threads on HOW to find a guys spot when you see his truck sitting there. :lol:

Exactly... I seen a post a year or so ago on a big hunting forum where a guy was giving tips on finding great spots to hunt, and his main "hot" tactic was to look for spent shell casings cause it meant people were getting shots off from that position.. He also said he looks for soda bottles, scent cans, and other garbage concentrated telling him that the other hunter must of been successful if he went out enough to leave such a mess. :shock:
Hmmm... Better remember to pick up your shell casings and garbage.
GregH

Unread postby GregH » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:43 am

When asked where I shot my buck I usually reply with "Right in the heart". After a few moments, they get it.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:58 am

I guess everyone must think I suck at hunting because I don't think anyone has ever followed me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”