New Revolution in treestand world?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

monster6

New Revolution in treestand world?

Unread postby monster6 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:27 pm

http://www.guidosoutdoors.com/

I think I am going to try this out next year. I have guys that tried it and swear that its so comfy that you can fall asleep in the stand. I also think it would be a great stand for those up close spots near bedding as it looks like it conceals you. What do you guys think?

Dewey

Re: New Revolution in treestand world?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Looks like a upgraded version of the Trophyline TreeSaddle. I used the TreeSaddle for a few years and it did have times where it worked pretty good but in the end I went with LW stands and sticks instead. Looks like this version is 9.5 lbs plus you need tree steps or climbing sticks to climb the tree. In the end you would be nearly the same weight as a LW Assault and sticks.

Not trying to talk you out of it just giving my honest opinion on a very similar set up I used. I don't have any experience with this one so it may be totally different. I watched the video and it looks nearly identical to the TreeSaddle except for it looks much more comfortable with more cushion.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Interesting setup for sure. Does look comfy but not sure if id like that style of sitting in a tree... Guess I cant judge it unless ive actually used it. Lone Wolf is my current favorite also and I dont plan on changing that anytime soon.

Giver a try and let us know how you like it? :mrgreen:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 pm

Those types of "stands" have never really worked well for me. When sitting on a stand and needing to move to shoot behind you, you can often easily move around slow without getting busted. These types of harness stands requires some serious practice to use them without getting busted in situations needing to turn a 180 without detection.

Def not a "stand" for everyone. If you could make one work for you though, the guys I know using them love them and would much rather hunt them than a conventional stand anyday.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:14 am

Very interesting setup for sure. That's minimize the setup...

I found this one, it's more heavy duty but for some "bad" tree it could be a good solution.
http://treestandsonline.com/

Hope I bring something... 8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:23 am

backstraps wrote:Those types of "stands" have never really worked well for me. When sitting on a stand and needing to move to shoot behind you, you can often easily move around slow without getting busted. These types of harness stands requires some serious practice to use them without getting busted in situations needing to turn a 180 without detection.

Def not a "stand" for everyone. If you could make one work for you though, the guys I know using them love them and would much rather hunt them than a conventional stand anyday.

I can spin 180 in the GW without moving a foot on the peg. I find the only spot you need to move is 270 back to the shooter side (right for right handed), but no more movement than a regular stand.

THe biggest challenge with these stands is coming up with a "system" that works. I had to quiet down the buckles and manage climbing with the fork down. But, once mastered, it is my favorite all-day stand. Also extremely mobile.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:20 am

phade wrote:
backstraps wrote:Those types of "stands" have never really worked well for me. When sitting on a stand and needing to move to shoot behind you, you can often easily move around slow without getting busted. These types of harness stands requires some serious practice to use them without getting busted in situations needing to turn a 180 without detection.

I can spin 180 in the GW without moving a foot on the peg. I find the only spot you need to move is 270 back to the shooter side (right for right handed), but no more movement than a regular stand.

THe biggest challenge with these stands is coming up with a "system" that works. I had to quiet down the buckles and manage climbing with the fork down. But, once mastered, it is my favorite all-day stand. Also extremely mobile.

I've recently switched over to Treesaddle. Let me just say that I don't miss the bulk of carrying in a LW and sticks. I still use my LW in certain scenarios, but the Treesaddle is awesome if used correctly. I just started using mine In early November and I've already arrowed three nice does from it. It is definately different but the advantages far outweigh the negatives.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:55 am

I have all 3, the Guido's Web, Tree Saddle and an Alpha and sticks. They all have their place. Like someone said the GW and TS take a bit of getting used to, and are not for everyone. the biggest problem I have with both of them are the foot pegs, and creating a comfortable platform for my feet. Also in colder weather your jacket bunches up in the sling type stands. The GW web is by far the most comfortable. It's a little more bulky, than the TS. In my opinion the TS is the easiest to shoot in any direction, once you figure out how to manuver in it. I love keeping the tree between me and the approaching deer. I like the GW web for gun hunting, when I sit all day. It's comfortable and you can use the tree, for a rock solid gun rest. I use the LW sticks for all 3 when climbing trees. I have been leaning more and more on my Alpha, just because I don't have to create a platform for it, like the Tree Saddle or Guido's Web. If I have pre set pegs, they all take about the same amount of time to set up.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:12 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I have all 3, the Guido's Web, Tree Saddle and an Alpha and sticks. They all have their place. Like someone said the GW and TS take a bit of getting used to, and are not for everyone. the biggest problem I have with both of them are the foot pegs, and creating a comfortable platform for my feet. Also in colder weather your jacket bunches up in the sling type stands. The GW web is by far the most comfortable. It's a little more bulky, than the TS. In my opinion the TS is the easiest to shoot in any direction, once you figure out how to manuver in it. I love keeping the tree between me and the approaching deer. I like the GW web for gun hunting, when I sit all day. It's comfortable and you can use the tree, for a rock solid gun rest. I use the LW sticks for all 3 when climbing trees. I have been leaning more and more on my Alpha, just because I don't have to create a platform for it, like the Tree Saddle or Guido's Web. If I have pre set pegs, they all take about the same amount of time to set up.

X2 on the pre set steps and foot pegs. If I'm gonna hunt long periods of time in the rut, I'll usually take my alpha and hunt in comfort. However, If i'm going way back on public somewhere you can't beat the Treesaddle.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:02 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:I have all 3, the Guido's Web, Tree Saddle and an Alpha and sticks. They all have their place. Like someone said the GW and TS take a bit of getting used to, and are not for everyone. the biggest problem I have with both of them are the foot pegs, and creating a comfortable platform for my feet. Also in colder weather your jacket bunches up in the sling type stands. The GW web is by far the most comfortable. It's a little more bulky, than the TS. In my opinion the TS is the easiest to shoot in any direction, once you figure out how to manuver in it. I love keeping the tree between me and the approaching deer. I like the GW web for gun hunting, when I sit all day. It's comfortable and you can use the tree, for a rock solid gun rest. I use the LW sticks for all 3 when climbing trees. I have been leaning more and more on my Alpha, just because I don't have to create a platform for it, like the Tree Saddle or Guido's Web. If I have pre set pegs, they all take about the same amount of time to set up.

X2 on the pre set steps and foot pegs. If I'm gonna hunt long periods of time in the rut, I'll usually take my alpha and hunt in comfort. However, If i'm going way back on public somewhere you can't beat the Treesaddle.

I have an Alpha and a GW. The GW is by far more comfy, but a tad more work, even with a system. I usually use cranford screw ins as they can go in a fanny pack. I do use my LW sticks on occassion. Alph is nice just because of the quietness.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:32 am

Whatever system works for you and you're comfortable and stealthy using it then no need to change. I'm still amazed at the ease and quietness of my LW setup...I still smile everytime I hang the stand and cam lock it! No need to ever change for me. Master whatever setup you prefer and be safe!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 am

I use the Tree Saddle almost exclusively now. It took a little getting used to and a few adjustments to the saddle to make it work the way I like it. I replaced the stretchy suspenders that came with the saddle and added a set of tool belt suspenders. These are padded and are able to hold the saddle up comfortably when I am walking or climbing. I got rid of the tree tie up system and switched to a rope and Prussic instead. I use 11mm rope for the tie off and 8mm for the Prussic. with this set-up I can adjust myself in the tree and do it very quietly. I replaced all of the steel hooks and clamps with lighter carabineers as well. (Before I did all of this I went to Adventure Rock and was shown how to do all it correctly). By changing the suspenders I am able to take them off at the tree and put my coat on. This avoids the saddle catching my jacket and pushing it up. For the platform I use 2 Muddy Sticks and branches if they are available. I use LW sticks to climb and the others to stand on since they have 2 "rungs" on each level. With the rope system, I can swing comfortably and quietly around the tree to keep cover between the deer and myself. It's a very stealthy way to hunt.

I have to say I did recently order an Alpha and I bought an Assault to play around with.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:45 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Whatever system works for you and you're comfortable and stealthy using it then no need to change. I'm still amazed at the ease and quietness of my LW setup...I still smile everytime I hang the stand and cam lock it! No need to ever change for me. Master whatever setup you prefer and be safe!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Right on !!!! :character-beavisbutthead:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:49 am

[quote="Black Squirrel"]I have all 3, the Guido's Web, Tree Saddle and an Alpha and sticks. They all have their place.[/quote]

I agree. Each system excells in certain areas. Personally, I have used the saddle and the tree suit (sling style hunting similar to the guidos web). My opinion at this point (after 40 years of deerhunting and spending LOTS of money trying different things), is that climbing sticks and a Lone Wolf Alpha or Assault is the most universal, simple to use, system to cover any tree situation.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Reminds me of my LW Assassin stand and harness. I think I've shot more deer out of that thing than my regular Assault. The main difference, other than the platform, is were the straps connect to the tree. With the LW, the strap connects about waist level on the tree. With this product, or the tree saddles, the attachment point is higher up. That may make it more comfortable and easier to swing, but I don't think you'd be able to self film very well. The straps from the harness would interfere with the camera arm.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”