Question about Iowa

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Question about Iowa

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am

dan wrote:I find it hard to believe a resident can't give the deer to a non-res. after he calls it in, and its legally registered. Either you can party hunt or you can't... I see no point in party hunting at all if your state does not allow the hunters to divide the deer after registration however they feel like dividing them...
If its illegal to give deer away, how do you donate deer to the pantry? I know in Wisconsin, I often take an extra deer or two and drop them off at peoples homes who are having a hard time after a job loss, or retirement, or are just plain poor. Couldn't imagine a state making that illegal ?

I think after it's processed you might be able too. Does won't make much of problem it's the buck that causes the problem. Even if you are transporting just the rack it still has another guys tags on it with his numbers.

HUSH program:
bout the HUSH program:

All deer hunters must have a deer permit to harvest deer, whether or not they donate the deer to HUSH. Donated deer must be tagged before being transported, just as any other harvested deer.
Any legally-taken, wild Iowa deer from any season and any sex may be donated at any one of the lockers shown on the HUSH Locker List map.
Hunters must donate the whole deer.
Deer must be field dressed; lockers prefer a clean carcass without mud on the hide.
Lockers also prefer the carcass not be frozen.
Deer hunters must fill out a Hunter HUSH Card at the locker for each deer being donated.
HUSH does not accept road killed deer.
Lockers cannot require hunters to skin or bone HUSH deer.
There is no additional fee to be paid at the locker.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:57 am

goldtip5575 wrote:
Stanley wrote:
goldtip5575 wrote:
rudy78 wrote:
Stanley wrote:Yes only the person with a buck tag can tag a buck. A NR with a doe tag cannot put that tag on a buck it is illegal. A person with a buck tag cannot transfer that tag to a NR that is illegal. A person with a buck tag can tag a doe however. At the end of the hunt when the party splits up the deer the NR cannot take a buck or transfer a buck legally he has no buck tag. Like I said the tags are numbered to your name. When you call in your kill in you are given a transportation number that must go on your numbered tag. So as a NR with a doe tag you can't kill a buck and transport it legally. You are confusing a NR buck tag with a NR doe tag not the same. You are also confusing killing a buck and tagging a buck with a NR doe license. In party hunting if a resident kills 10 bucks he can still only tag and keep one. He has also committed a crime because the party only has 9 buck tags. If a NR with a doe license kills 10 bucks he has committed a crime because he has no buck tag for the 10th buck. It is really not very confusing if you are a NR with a NR doe tag you can only tag a doe and legally transport it. If you are transporting a buck you are breaking the law.

Right you can only tag a buck with a buck tag, but you don't have to have a buck tag to kill a buck if you are party hunting.
This isn't about transferring a tag, it is about tagging a deer. The DNR in the video there is pretty clear it is legal if you are obeying the party hunting rules, you can get a tag and legally tag a buck even if you don't have a buck tag.
Stanley did you watch the video?
Seems pretty clear to me. Also the DNR says feel free to email with ?'s, maybe we should do that.

X2 Why would the IowaDNR care about where the deer goes once it is tagged and registered in a legal manner???So your saying its illegal for a NR to take more than the one doe he has a permit for out of state?Even if a R gifts him his legally tagged and registered buck?

Are you saying there is no difference in a NR doe tag and a NR buck tag? You can't transport a road kill in Iowa with the proper tag.

Yes when it is filled by the NR shooting and tagging a doe for the NR DOE or shooting and tagging a buck with a NR buck tag.After hes used his tag he can continue to hunt to fill other R buck tags as long as he is party hunting by the rules.

Yes that would be party hunting. Still doesn't differentiate NR doe tag and a resident tagging a buck for a NR doe tag holder?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm

By the non res having a doe tag he has a legal tag & can be hunting. The animal can legally be tagged by a res who the non res was hunting with, so they are fine & the animal is properly tagged. It doesn't state the person whose tag is on the animal needs to be there just that its legally tagged, which through party hunting means it could be another persons tag.

In the example given they were giving the 80 year old as saying that would be improperly using a party tag because the person whose tag was on the deer was not with the group. We aren't talking about what constitutes party hunting or not I this topic or whether it is right.
The ? is it legal(not morally)for a res to tag a buck that a non res shot, assuming they were party hunting together & the non res was legal to be hunting(meaning he had a non res doe tag). The answer that video & everything I've heard & know about this indicates yes it is legal.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 pm

rudy78 wrote:
Stanley wrote:Yes only the person with a buck tag can tag a buck. A NR with a doe tag cannot put that tag on a buck it is illegal. A person with a buck tag cannot transfer that tag to a NR that is illegal. A person with a buck tag can tag a doe however. At the end of the hunt when the party splits up the deer the NR cannot take a buck or transfer a buck legally he has no buck tag. Like I said the tags are numbered to your name. When you call in your kill in you are given a transportation number that must go on your numbered tag. So as a NR with a doe tag you can't kill a buck and transport it legally. You are confusing a NR buck tag with a NR doe tag not the same. You are also confusing killing a buck and tagging a buck with a NR doe license. In party hunting if a resident kills 10 bucks he can still only tag and keep one. He has also committed a crime because the party only has 9 buck tags. If a NR with a doe license kills 10 bucks he has committed a crime because he has no buck tag for the 10th buck. It is really not very confusing if you are a NR with a NR doe tag you can only tag a doe and legally transport it. If you are transporting a buck you are breaking the law.

Right you can only tag a buck with a buck tag, but you don't have to have a buck tag to kill a buck if you are party hunting.
This isn't about transferring a tag, it is about tagging a deer. The DNR in the video there is pretty clear it is legal if you are obeying the party hunting rules, you can get a tag and legally tag a buck even if you don't have a buck tag.
Seems pretty clear to me. Also the DNR says feel free to email with ?'s, maybe we should do that.

Watched the whole series of videos. I thought they were very informative.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 pm

rudy78 wrote:By the non res having a doe tag he has a legal tag & can be hunting. The animal can legally be tagged by a res who the non res was hunting with, so they are fine & the animal is properly tagged. It doesn't state the person whose tag is on the animal needs to be there just that its legally tagged, which through party hunting means it could be another persons tag.

In the example given they were giving the 80 year old as saying that would be improperly using a party tag because the person whose tag was on the deer was not with the group. We aren't talking about what constitutes party hunting or not I this topic or whether it is right.
The ? is it legal(not morally)for a res to tag a buck that a non res shot, assuming they were party hunting together & the non res was legal to be hunting(meaning he had a non res doe tag). The answer that video & everything I've heard & know about this indicates yes it is legal.

It is illegal to have another persons tag in your pocket when hunting. People get busted all the time for that. So another person cannot put your tag on their animal the tag owner has to tag the animal. One guy can't hold all the tags each hunter must hold their own tag. I hear stories every year of guys getting busted doing that. If the hunter is still hunting and has used his tag he can't hold another guys tag. If the DNR catches you doing that they take the tag and write you up.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:43 pm

I just went thru the entire Iowa rule book, and then watched the video... It is legal for a non-resident to party hunt with a resident, shoot a deer for him, and once he calls in the deer and attaches all tags he may give it to the hunter whom can then transport it out of state, mount it, or anything else he wants to do with it.
If you watch the video, the warden clearly states this at about the 11 minute mark.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Stanley wrote:
rudy78 wrote:By the non res having a doe tag he has a legal tag & can be hunting. The animal can legally be tagged by a res who the non res was hunting with, so they are fine & the animal is properly tagged. It doesn't state the person whose tag is on the animal needs to be there just that its legally tagged, which through party hunting means it could be another persons tag.

It is illegal to have another persons tag in your pocket when hunting. People get busted all the time for that. So another person cannot put your tag on their animal the tag owner has to tag the animal. One guy can't hold all the tags each hunter must hold their own tag. I hear stories every year of guys getting busted doing that. If the hunter is still hunting and has used his tag he can't hold another guys tag. If the DNR catches you doing that they take the tag and write you up.

The "hunter" with the buck tag, must be present in the hunt, and he or she must tag the deer in person within 15 minutes of the kill, or before it is moved, whichever comes 1st.
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:01 pm

So what would constitute party hunting...hunting the same farm, so far away from one another? Does this also count for any hunting season?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm

dan wrote:I just went thru the entire Iowa rule book, and then watched the video... It is legal for a non-resident to party hunt with a resident, shoot a deer for him, and once he calls in the deer and attaches all tags he may give it to the hunter whom can then transport it out of state, mount it, or anything else he wants to do with it.
If you watch the video, the warden clearly states this at about the 11 minute mark.

I did just watch it again. Couple things to point out they were not very clear on what they were talking about. They all were not on the same sheet of music. Some of the panel were talking about NR land owners and some were talking about NR doe tags. One thing they were very clear about if you have any questions about what you can do or not do with a tag is talk to a DNR person. I did hear the law enforcement DNR guy say that a NR with a doe tag could take possession of a buck with a resident tag. The others in the panel did not confirm that though. They kind of jumped subjects when that happened. I'm pretty sure it was because they didn't know/understand for sure. They did talk about how hefty the fines are so I would want to be very sure about the NR doe tag thing before I headed down the road with a buck tagged by another hunter.

This is copied from the regulations on the Iowa DNR site. I still read this as not being legal to transport a deer other than the one you have personally tagged. A NR with a doe tag can only place his tag on a doe. This would constitute legal possession. This is how I always interpreted the law. It looks very gooey to me.

No person shall tag a deer with
a Transportation Tag issued to
another person.

During the youth season, disabled
hunter season, bow season,
early muzzleloader season and
late muzzleloader season, the
hunter who killed the deer must
tag the deer by using the Transportation Tag issued in
that person’s name.
During the first and second regular gun seasons
and the January Antlerless-deer-only seasons, anyone
present in the hunting party may tag a deer with a tag
issued in that person’s name.
Party hunting is not
allowed while hunting with a youth tag, regardless
of the season.
This tag shall be proof of possession and remain
affixed to the carcass until the animal is processed
for consumption.
The head, and antlers if any, shall
remain attached to the deer while being transported
from the place where taken to the processor or commercial
preservation facility or until the deer has
been processed for consumption.
Antlerless
Antlered
Tagging Deer, Turkey
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Monster Raxx wrote:So what would constitute party hunting...hunting the same farm, so far away from one another? Does this also count for any hunting season?

They address this very issue in the video and the answer is that it's gray area and depends on the wardens interpretation of what constitutes being involved in the same hunt vs being on two separate hunts on the same property. Keep in mind the rule was initially intended for deer drives and the deer NEEDS to be tagged within15 min. Depending on the size of the property that could be an issue.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Monster Raxx wrote:So what would constitute party hunting...hunting the same farm, so far away from one another? Does this also count for any hunting season?

It only applies to shot gun hunting. It is illegal to party hunt other than those two shot gun seasons, and the January Antlerless-deer-only seasons. Everything about party hunting is messed up. One thing I have noticed when people deal with the Iowa DNR If they interpret you are illegal they write you up and it is to you to prove the DNR is wrong. There is not such a thing as innocent until proven guilty, it's guilty until proven innocent with them.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 am

binney59 wrote:
rudy78 wrote: Right you can only tag a buck with a buck tag, but you don't have to have a buck tag to kill a buck if you are party hunting.

I emailed the Iowa DNR today but have no doubt that as long as the buck is legally tagged anyone can be in possession of the animal and will post a reply when I get one.

The video does not exactly state that but talks about it in the hypothetical example of when a warden pulls over a group of hunters who are all around 30 years old but have a buck registered by an 80 year old lady. He then double checks to make sure granny was in fact part of the hunt, but he never said it was an issue to be transporting the deer.

I am starting to wonder if Stanley is messing with us just to keep the out of staters out!

I see nothing wrong with a guy buying a buck tag and hunting legally as a NR. I have a lot of NR hunter friends. I do have a problem with a NR or Resident for that matter that buys a doe tag and takes home a buck. That is just pure pathetic.

I am very curious to see how your email gets answered. I am fairly familiar with most hunting regulations. The NR stuff doesn't come up too often as it doesn't apply to me.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 am

Stanley wrote:I am starting to wonder if Stanley is messing with us just to keep the out of staters out!

I see nothing wrong with a guy buying a buck tag and hunting legally as a NR. I have a lot of NR hunter friends. I do have a problem with a NR or Resident for that matter that buys a doe tag and takes home a buck. That is just pure pathetic.

I am very curious to see how your email gets answered. I am fairly familiar with most hunting regulations. The NR stuff doesn't come up too often as it doesn't apply to me.[/quote]

I was messing with you on wanting to keep the out of staters out, but I do take issue with you calling hunting with a NR doe tag and taking home a buck pathetic. What would be pathetic is LEGALLY being on a deer drive and shooting a buck (still legal) but not being able to keep the deer. Until the party hunt rules are changed, I see nothing pathetic with lawfully using a doe tag to participate on a hunt- its not like more bucks are being killed because a NR is there with a doe tag.

The law was set up because of the tradition of group hunting and deer drives. As a former resident of Iowa with friends and family still in the area, I can see the appeal of being able to come back and hunt with friends every year and not having to break the bank on a either sex tag and paying $55 on your off years to not hunt Iowa (pref points). Most groups have way more hunters than bucks tagged when it is all said and done so whining about out of staters being able to keep a deer seems petty to me.

I have never hunted Iowa as a NR with a doe tag because I would prefer to archery hunt where party hunting is illegal but when I have close friends begging me to spend time with them and do some hunting I would not hesitate to save some money and do it with a doe tag. If I shoot a buck- great- if not- great. Party hunting is more for the experience and comradery than it is "cheating the system for a buck."
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 am

If somebody is in compliance with the law and shoots a buck while possessing only a doe tag. Who cares if its a resident or non-res.
It is perfectly legal to do so... However, I would bet that over 90% of the non-resident hunters who party hunt with doe tags are not doing so legally. I think if they are buying a doe tag for the price Iowa sells them for, they are expecting to shoot a buck and have someone else tag it.
The other person in the party has to be legally engaged in the hunt too... I doubt thats the case most of the time... And it ain't just non-residents. Residents also buy "extra" tags for friends, wives, mothers, fathers, brothers, etc...
Moaning about the small amount of party hunting and/or cheating done by non-residents is mute because the residents abuse the system just as much, or actually more so, cause of the number of them and the amount of Iowa residents they know who could buy them a tag... Overall, I would rather see party hunting not be allowed... But then again, the ones cheating will cheat whether or not its against the law.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 am

its not like more bucks are being killed because a NR is there with a doe tag.

What?? Of coarse that's what's happening!!!

I agree with Stan, you shouldn't be able to show up as a non res and fill a resident buck tag. That's rediculous to me....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”