Saw a shedded buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Saw a shedded buck

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:54 pm

On yesterday evenings hunt I saw a shedded buck that I could've shot. He was chasing doe's. Had him at 15 yards a few times. Looked to be a 160 to 170 pound deer. Definitely a 3 year old or older. I wonder who this buck Is? Anyhow this Is the 2nd earliest I've saw a buck that's shed. A few years ago I saw one that was shedded at the end of November.

What's the earliest you all have saw a shedded buck?

Dewey

Re: Saw a shedded buck

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Earliest I have seen is the 3rd week of December and saw a few more right around Christmas so yeah this is really early. Must have been run down pretty bad from the rut.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Run down but very healthy.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:45 am

I have seen shed bucks get shot during our gun season which is Thanksgiving week in November on multiple occasions.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:47 am

Their all Doe's to me...
What's a buck?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:18 am

Some bucks being shed right now is a good reason why we should be careful about shooting late season does. I remember Dave telling me he shot a big doe gun season a few years ago and me asking if he was sure it was not a buck cause we had a lot of early shedders due to an ice storm. Sure enough when we got to it, it was one of our bucks with no antlers.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:42 am

Nothing worst than thinking you shot a big doe and realize it has a set of nuts. I shot one a few years ago but he actually broke both antlers off about 2 inches up. We believe he was a 3 yr old so I was pretty disappointed.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:05 am

Dec. 6th earliest caught by trail camera. He was a nice 110 10 pointer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:09 am

I shot this buck last muzzle loader season on the 17th of december. For 2 days before I shot him every mature buck I saw had either one side gone or both sides gone. This was the last decent buck I saw with both sides. I shot him and he had both sides when he went over the hill. When I found him he had nothing. Took some time back tracking his trail but I finally found both sides. Where I hunt in Northern Michigan a lot of the older bucks have started dropping. It happens every year at the same time here.

camocat

Unread postby camocat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 am

Talked to a guy last night that found a shed already.He said he had buck on cam at 4:30 then at 6:15 his one side was shed off this was on Dec 7th.Waupaca county Wi.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:38 am

vanceg wrote:I shot this buck last muzzle loader season on the 17th of december. For 2 days before I shot him every mature buck I saw had either one side gone or both sides gone. This was the last decent buck I saw with both sides. [glow=red]I shot him and he had both sides when he went over the hill. When I found him he had nothing.[/glow] Took some time back tracking his trail but I finally found both sides. Where I hunt in Northern Michigan a lot of the older bucks have started dropping. It happens every year at the same time here.

That's crazy. Wow!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:17 am

A friend of mine claims a hard cold snap early and then staying colder causes them to drop earlier. I have seen some of the drops he has picked up with chunks of skull attached to the drop. I wouldn't pay much attention to his theory except he is an antler enthusiast to the max. He would rather find antlers than hunt deer. I do think a hard cold snap will cause antlers to break more easily.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:42 am

I have plenty of pics by Xmas of bucks shed

Stanley... I don't know why it is but I have found the same thing. After a big snow storm or hard cold snap I have found alot of sheds in the next 48-72hrs
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:53 am

I think I saw a sheded buck a few weeks back while shining. Looked like an older buck.

Im getting the itch to start looking....going to wait tho. 8-)
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:56 am

vanceg wrote:I shot this buck last muzzle loader season on the 17th of december. For 2 days before I shot him every mature buck I saw had either one side gone or both sides gone. This was the last decent buck I saw with both sides. I shot him and he had both sides when he went over the hill. When I found him he had nothing. Took some time back tracking his trail but I finally found both sides. Where I hunt in Northern Michigan a lot of the older bucks have started dropping. It happens every year at the same time here.

CRAZY! Same thing happened to a friend my dad works with. He muzzleloader hunted behind the big barn they work at and shot a buck with both sides. By the time he got to him one had fallen off and the other fell off when he was dragging the buck. This was early December.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”