Crossing deep dykes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Crossing deep dykes

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:05 am

One of the public lands that I get into has some area's that you would need to cross a deep dyke. The ditches typically have 8-10' of water in them, and are between 15-30' wide. Any suggestions on how to get across if you don't want to drag a jon boat out? small kyack? any other suggestions? I've got hip boots, don't really want to get chest wadders. if I had those, i guess you could use a float tube and chest wadders.

I plan on exploring these area's some more and may find some shallow, or other ways across. Thanks for any suggestions.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Crossing deep dykes

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:21 am

You could use a blow up raft... 8 to 10 feet is pretty deep. I have not seen many that deep unless its marsh muck. I often have to cross remote rivers or canals and just strip down and carry my clothes and hunting gear across over my head. Even in cold weather it ain't to bad if you don't get your clothes wet.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm

dan wrote:You could use a blow up raft... 8 to 10 feet is pretty deep. I have not seen many that deep unless its marsh muck. I often have to cross remote rivers or canals and just strip down and carry my clothes and hunting gear across over my head. Even in cold weather it ain't to bad if you don't get your clothes wet.

Will there be video of this technique in the next DVD?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
dan wrote:You could use a blow up raft... 8 to 10 feet is pretty deep. I have not seen many that deep unless its marsh muck. I often have to cross remote rivers or canals and just strip down and carry my clothes and hunting gear across over my head. Even in cold weather it ain't to bad if you don't get your clothes wet.

:shock: :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:45 pm

lol...i know for the shallower stuff you can buy really packable stockingfoot waders that would easily roll up in a pack...get to the ditch, put them on, cross, take them off
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 pm

I have a place similar to which you speak of. I use a float tube and a 12' hand rail to push my way across. The float tube is one that is pulled behind a boat for kids. Has to have a bottom in it though. The first one I purchased was a small one and still wound up getting my knees wet from the pressure of my knees on the side walls. Spending the $ on a larger one is worth it. To get a dead deer out, I tie a long enough rope to the deer and once I get across I pull the deer after me. Don't gut em first though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:39 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:

About 12 years ago Andraes Daughter shot a big 8 pointer in a S.E. Wisconsin tamarack swamp and they could not find the buck and lost the trail. So Andrae called me to ask if I would help look for it. I ended up finding the buck. I could see it laying dead on an island in the middle of a large deep pond. Andrae said maybe we can haul a boat or canoe out here... I just laughed and stripped to my underwear and dove in and swam the buck back to shore... It sure was cold water. Andrae brings that story up all the time and laughs about it.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 am

dan wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

About 12 years ago Andraes Daughter shot a big 8 pointer in a S.E. Wisconsin tamarack swamp and they could not find the buck and lost the trail. So Andrae called me to ask if I would help look for it. I ended up finding the buck. I could see it laying dead on an island in the middle of a large deep pond. Andrae said maybe we can haul a boat or canoe out here... I just laughed and stripped to my underwear and dove in and swam the buck back to shore... It sure was cold water. Andrae brings that story up all the time and laughs about it.

I'm getting cold just reading about that! :lol:

Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am

Those are some crazy stories Dan...when is the book coming out :?:
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:29 am

Interesting ways across. I'll have to explore this more. :mrgreen: I kind of liked the idea of the float tubes,ect... light, not to ackward/noisy to drag out to where I need to go. thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”