Learning to Track Bucks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Learning to Track Bucks?

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:47 am

Well magicman has inspired me to give this a shot next season. I have tried it in the past without much success but I was really half doing it back then and really didn't know what I was doing. I know this won't be an easy task and I am very cool with that, I think I am ready for the challenge and I want to give it a real solid effort next season.

To start what are the top books and DVD's I should be looking at? I think we all know who the famous trackers are but I would still like to hear any and all suggestions.

Second what are some tips you can share and what are the things beginning trackers need to know?
Last edited by Stanley on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Substituting any characters that are intended to defeat the censors in place by the Hunting Beast is against forum rules.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Learning to Track Bucks?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:02 am

Should be an interesting thread. I'm not much of a tracker myself.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:01 am

You really can't track in most of the country because of property lines, this style of hunting is best suited for northern bigwoods areas where you can walk miles of unbroken timber.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:37 am

hoping to hear from some of the guys on this one. informative for all
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 am

Look up Benoits and Hal Blood from the NorthEast...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 am

The benoits are the family of deer tracking. Check out their book at a local library and check out some of their youtube videos about their tracking school.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 am

You could hine you skills by tracking in the season now that you will have snow. Might find a good bed or two as well as learn a whole lot. I was out yesterday, 2 days after a fresh snow. makes it pretty easy to track and find beds.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:15 am

I think the best learning tool Is just to go out there and do It and learn from It. You have the perfect setting for It headgear with the huge public land In the north woods. Get a good GPS and your well on your way. Trust your GPS so you can put the miles on that It takes. I've done nothing like Magic has but I've done some tracking with my bow and I've had some very close encounters with doe's and younger bucks (30 yard range). I know for a fact I can do It If I do It more. I love this style of hunting.

Good luck!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 am

I watched the Benoits videos and was a little disappointed. The DVD's were worth the money, but really did not teach a whole lot... I have heard there books are better. I think your missing the great fact though that you have Magicman right here at the Beast willing to answer any of your questions, as well as Tad, and others who have a vast deal of experience tracking. I even have done some tracking in my day, and have learned a few things while doing so...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 am

headgear wrote:You really can't track in most of the country because of property lines, this style of hunting is best suited for northern bigwoods areas where you can walk miles of unbroken timber.

I somewhat disagree with that comment... On small farms, and small propertys it can be tougher. But generally there are some large swamps, marshes, or properties within a few hours drive of most hunters.
And, as far as the smaller properties go, I have done well by altering and mixing tactics to fit the property. Like if you know where the buck bedding areas are, walking or driving a circle around a bedding area or property can tell you if the buck you want is there and has not left... You might only get one crack, but its still a kill able deer. Even more so if you know about where he should be.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 am

dan wrote:I watched the Benoits videos and was a little disappointed. The DVD's were worth the money, but really did not teach a whole lot... I have heard there books are better. I think your missing the great fact though that you have Magicman right here at the Beast willing to answer any of your questions, as well as Tad, and others who have a vast deal of experience tracking. I even have done some tracking in my day, and have learned a few things while doing so...

I'm kind of banking on magic and tad posting up some good info and making some suggestions. Maybe our new member bigwoodsmn has some input too, I think he mentioned tracking.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:34 am

I read the books and watched the DVD's again and again. I thought it would be easy. It sure sounded easy. Then I got out on the snow and found out it was not so cut and dried like the books made it sound. My best advice is to practice, practice, practice. That's where my real learning began. I know there have been years where I have put on at least 100 miles on foot. After you get some miles on I'm sure I can help answer questions you might have. I agree with Dan that the Beniot books are a better learning aid than the DVD's. They missed the boat there. Video should be a much better tool but they focused more on the kills then teaching.
I have had success but I still feel like the student not the teacher. I think the art of tracking is a life long learning experience. Just learning to read tracks takes years and years of practice.
One piece of advise I will give you to get started is to be safe. Let someone know where you are and carry a few compasses and a few ways to start a fire.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am

Definitely Hal Blood: (2 books, 1 DVD, field guide to carry to help make decisions):

https://www.bigwoodsbucks.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx

He killed a buck this year that 3 or 4 other hunters had tracked in front of him that same day but had left the track. He also stopped the deer with an estrus blat after his first shot...(that's one you can easily make with just your mouth) giving him enough time to make the second shot count.

Peter Fiduccia: "Tactics for Talking to Deer" DVD gives information on all 4 major calls and 3-4 variations of each call.

Also the Benoit Book - is more instructional than the DVDs. The DVDs are awesome to watch, especially in the middle of winter when you can't get hunting off your mind, and there are goodies in them. The first video in particular is more instructional, I thought.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 am

Benoits and Hal Blood's books.

Benoit's first book 'How to bag the biggest buck of your life' is a really good read even if you don't plan on track hunting. That guy is a deer hunter through and through.

If you want to learn from a different perspective than just deer hunting, read 'Practical Tracking' by Adrian Louw.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:09 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Benoit's first book 'How to bag the biggest buck of your life' is a really good read even if you don't plan on track hunting. That guy is a deer hunter through and through.

I am reading this book right now and agree it is a great book by a master. I agree.....really good information even if you don't track and only apply it toward scouting instead.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”