IM COLD!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: IM COLD!

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:37 am

Kabic wrote:
jack_4mn wrote:I'm wearing the coveralls Buckfever mentioned below. High teens with 15 mph winds and higher gusts in northern MN.

I've looked at the Parka in that style. Some of the comments on Cabelas website say the wind goes right though it. What has been your experience?

I think the Cabelas Standmaster Coat and Bibs are extremely warm.... I wear when below 30 degrees if sitting longer than 3hrs.

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 am

BigHunt wrote:can you post it again ? i think you did a good job, and its better then what there own website has as a product video.

Here it is again..

I was going for a video that showed everything in a real life situation- putting the suit on, unzipping and shooting from it, shooting to the left, shooting to the right, taking the suit off and rolling it up - no camera tricks, nothing cut out, not making it look any easier or harder than it really is..

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAWlB2OXG9o[/bbvideo]

Dont be afraid to go to youtube and like it or leave a comment or anything like that..it helps it get higher up in the search results.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
BigHunt wrote:can you post it again ? i think you did a good job, and its better then what there own website has as a product video.

Here it is again..

I was going for a video that showed everything in a real life situation- putting the suit on, unzipping and shooting from it, shooting to the left, shooting to the right, taking the suit off and rolling it up - no camera tricks, nothing cut out, not making it look any easier or harder than it really is..

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAWlB2OXG9o[/bbvideo]

Dont be afraid to go to youtube and like it or leave a comment or anything like that..it helps it get higher up in the search results.

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks, now I know what I want for Christmas !
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks, now I know what I want for Christmas !
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Get a HBS and be done, its like buying a whole new outfit including boots..... $ < everything mentioned
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:59 pm

How do those SEAL fellows lay in cold water for hours...?

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:39 am

When it is really cold, like others I dress in layers. Once I get to my stand I put a ThermaCare heat wrap around my back over my Under Armor cold gear shirt.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:04 am

Monster Raxx wrote:When it is really cold, like others I dress in layers. Once I get to my stand I put a ThermaCare heat wrap around my back over my Under Armor cold gear shirt.

This is a good tip. I have done this in the past and it really helps. I also have a neck wrap that I altered to hold a couple hot hands. I have them on the back of my neck..hard to believe how much this helps to keep me warm!

I have followed the advice of some of the post on this thread. Bought a few items to help out with the colder temps. Going to be trying them out in Jan. (hopefully) if the temps drop.

I am only 41 years old... I dont know what I will do to keep warm when I get older! However, my Dad is almost 71 and he is hot natured and "burns up" when its in the lower 40's upper 30's
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:22 am

It's a job for me to deal with cold weather and I don't hunt when it's really cold. In the teens is about as cold as I can stand.

I'm 65 with heart problems and have to take blood thinners which means I get cold quick. Have to start packing clothes in when it's in the middle 40's.

I hunt in steep ridges and have a hard time getting back in there in the spring time so the more I have to pack the harder it is. Plus I have to bone and pack the deer out which means I have to leave what's in my back pack in trash bags and come back for it the next day or later.

I sweat bad so have to go in with one long john top and maybe a long sleeve tee shirt and still sweat when I get to the steep parts. So I leave stash of clothes hid in certain places in trash bags. I usually have two and at most three stashes located about 400yds from areas I hunt. I will stop and change at those spots on the way in and out. It's really a pain. I'll also have tree stands located on the way in along with safety harness so I don't have to carry the whole way.

I layer with minus33, another thermal top, fleece, a wool vest , another long sleeve pullover hooded wool top and either a cotton assat shirt or cabelas wooltimate jacket according to how cold. I look and feel like the Pillsbury Doe Boy

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”