Best Pack for Whitetail Hunting (Primarily Bow)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SHoff10

Best Pack for Whitetail Hunting (Primarily Bow)

Unread postby SHoff10 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 am

What do you think is the best pack for what I am looking for? I am looking to spend $75 and under. I see that Amazon has a lot of nice packs but I would like other hunters opinions before I just buy one.

It will be used strictly for carrying accessories into the field when hunting. I go to Kansas every year for a 1-2 week bowhunt. This year was my first year going, but family has been going for years. Anyways, it was hard to carry everything with me when our average walk was at least 1/2 mile (uphill, downhill, chiseled fields, etc.). It would usually hold rattling antlers, game calls, flashlight, TP, water bottle, extra clothing, etc.

I would also be intersted in a backpack/fannypack combo. I have one of the bags/slings that holds my bow and has a lot of compartments for other items but I don't like how you're supposed to strap it to the tree.

Thank you.

“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Best Pack for Whitetail Hunting (Primarily Bow)

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 am

You might check Blacks Creek. That is the kind I use. I think they might be closer to $100 though. Another suggestion is anything with the Cabelas brand. Always good stuff.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:20 am

I can't give you advice on which one is best.... But I will say that my hunting has improved since I ditched the pack... I don't take anything in with me that I can't carry in a pocket or strap to my stand now. Years ago, I noticed I was carrying way to much in the pack, emergency clothes, T.P. for tracking or... water, calls, food, etc.. Lots of stuff I rarely used, didn't need, or did not up my odds by bringing. I started taking just what I need on each hunt... I no longer have to lug the back pack or try and hide it in my tree as one more thing that could alert deer to my presence.. I eat before and after the hunt. If its all day, I will bring a bottle of soda or water in my pocket, a grunt tube, and if I am remote a compass. A bow rope, some milkweed and a small flash light. Everything fits in my pockets or straps to my stand.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:08 am

dan wrote:I can't give you advice on which one is best.... But I will say that my hunting has improved since I ditched the pack... I don't take anything in with me that I can't carry in a pocket or strap to my stand now. Years ago, I noticed I was carrying way to much in the pack, emergency clothes, T.P. for tracking or... water, calls, food, etc.. Lots of stuff I rarely used, didn't need, or did not up my odds by bringing. I started taking just what I need on each hunt... I no longer have to lug the back pack or try and hide it in my tree as one more thing that could alert deer to my presence.. I eat before and after the hunt. If its all day, I will bring a bottle of soda or water in my pocket, a grunt tube, and if I am remote a compass. A bow rope, some milkweed and a small flash light. Everything fits in my pockets or straps to my stand.

I agree with Dan. I've ditched a lot of stuff myself. I now take to with me a grunt tube, limb clippers or saw, bow hanger (sometimes), phone, bottle of water and that's about it. I was taking everything with in the past which just became cumbersome and kept dropping everything. If I can't hack it 4-5 hours without food, I probably just need to stay at home. I eat a big breakfast before I head out in the mornings!
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:29 am

I have used many different packs. I started with the standard cheap-o backpack and have progressively moved into actual packs. I recently sold my Eberlestock X2 and bought this pack:

http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/blacks-creek-x-series-g7/

I love it so far. Enough pockets for a treestand hunter with a solid aluminum frame so you can carry your bow / stand on your back comfortably. I absolutely love having both hands free while walking. Find an internet coupon and you can get the pack to your door for $135. The material is somewhat crunchy / loud and the zippers are a little cheap, but that is being pretty nitpicky.
"In the deed, the glory"
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 am

I really have to get rid of my pack, every year I try and I just can't seem to let go. I seriously might buy a little fanny pack or some little pouch i can strap to my stand.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 am

We have a new product in the works that address the minimalist approach. Look for it soon.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:33 am

ebay US Military Surplus 3-day assault pack. Built like a tank. Strong zippers, external straps. I bought 2 for $40, and they will out last me.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 am

Badlands Nano... it is all you need
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:50 am

Eberlestocks are worth the $$$ too, but you shouldn't need one for whitetail hunting
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:59 am

I only hunt with a pack during turkey hunting, bow hunting the rut, and gun deer hunting....i am a big guy so i cant wear all my clothes on the walk in so i stuff the pack and whats left i strap to my stand.

I use a bad lands pack
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm

BigHunt wrote:I only hunt with a pack during turkey hunting, bow hunting the rut, and gun deer hunting....i am a big guy so i cant wear all my clothes on the walk in so i stuff the pack and whats left i strap to my stand.

I use a bad lands pack

Doesn't matter if your a big guy or not, If you walk in with all your gear on you will sweat a ton=get cold.

Clothing is the bulk of what I carry in my pack.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Bucky wrote:Badlands Nano... it is all you need

This is what I use Bucky. Small, light, plenty for whitetail.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm

This is what I use and would buy another if it ever got ruined...

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat115403
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Dor wrote:
BigHunt wrote:I only hunt with a pack during turkey hunting, bow hunting the rut, and gun deer hunting....i am a big guy so i cant wear all my clothes on the walk in so i stuff the pack and whats left i strap to my stand.

I use a bad lands pack

Doesn't matter if your a big guy or not, If you walk in with all your gear on you will sweat a ton=get cold.

Clothing is the bulk of what I carry in my pack.

thanks for your opinion but I rarely get cold until December ;)
once i get warm i stay warm, unless is raining and im getting wet im warm.
i Wear shorts all year round 365 days a year. the only time im wearing pants is if im hunting or snowmobiling

90 % of whats in my pack is clothing...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”