Buck beds and wind direction

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Buck beds and wind direction

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Ok...so I need some advice. When it comes to bucks bedding on a point how do you know what wind direction they are bedded there?

My take on it is this and I could be wrong from what I have experienced. I think a buck would bed on a point that shoots north when there is a south wind having wind to their back and seeing down the point for danger below and having rising thermals. However I have noticed a particular buck that beds in the same bed with almost any wind direction. Why is that? He beds on a point that shoots north and bed is 2/3 up the ridge.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Buck beds and wind direction

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:03 pm

deer don't always follow the script. it seems for some reason that buck feels safe in that spot no matter the condition.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:40 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:deer don't always follow the script. it seems for some reason that buck feels safe in that spot no matter the condition.

Exactly... He can probably see or hear predator approach, or there is some odd wind current going on. But some deer do bed against the rules sometimes. I think like humans, some times they get stuck in a routine of liking a spot. But he still needs to feel safe there.
Its important to realize that when we discuss deer habits and how to kill them, there are no absolutes. We go by what the buck does "most" of the time to up our odds. No such words in the hunters vocabulary as "ALWAYS, NEVER, or GUARANTEED"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 am

I have noticed in hill country when you have a primary buck bedding area that covers almost all the normal winds and is used almost every day, that those type of spots are the ones that most likely get a good buck bedding there on the wrong wind.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:59 am

dan wrote: Exactly... He can probably see or hear predator approach

My guess too.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:26 am

dan wrote:I have noticed in hill country when you have a primary buck bedding area that covers almost all the normal winds and is used almost every day, that those type of spots are the ones that most likely get a good buck bedding there on the wrong wind.

The really interesting thing about this bed is that he beds there all year long. A lot of the bucks "yard up" and bed elsewhere during the winter months. The past two years I have found a buck bedding there in the winter/early spring. However its within 200-300 yards of standing corn all winter.

I hunted this buck 3 times this year. 1st attempt was a West wind and I lost focus, moved my arm and I think that kicked him up. The 2nd try was with a NW wind and I think my thermals went up to him because I was hunting down low. (I will move the stand this spring to a better kill spot). The 3rd time he didnt show which was a morning hunt but I kicked him up when I left the stand and it was a SW wind. I saw his rack on two of the three occasions. This is a bed that will get used again once the buck using it is killed.

DAN: I wish I could show you the bed in person. If you saw it, it would make sense why he beds there. He can safely watch the neighbors 4 wheeler trail coming up the hill and our 4-wheeler trail coming up the hill from the bed. He has a pond about 100 yards away and 3 different fields within 200 yards. I will take pics from the bed in the winter months.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:30 am

This is the bed where I wanted to set up a trail camera on, but after talking to Stan, It seems the amount of time I would want to keep i there is too long for the batteries. My batteries last 3-4 weeks in cold weather but the camera itself is great.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 am

DAN: I wish I could show you the bed in person. If you saw it, it would make sense why he beds there. He can safely watch the neighbors 4 wheeler trail coming up the hill and our 4-wheeler trail coming up the hill from the bed. He has a pond about 100 yards away and 3 different fields within 200 yards. I will take pics from the bed in the winter months.

Your description makes sense to me...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”