Draws?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Draws?

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:43 am

I didnt want to hijack the other thread so i made a new one.I am considering putting in for the IA draw but I am unsure of how it works. Is it county specific? Where would I go to draw?Does it cost? How much is a non resident buck bow tag? I am also considering Kansas but idk if they have a draw or not? For living so close to Kansas and Iowa I should probably be up to date on this stuff...lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Re: Draws?

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 am

Kansas ain't a draw no more you got money you hunt now.

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:09 am

UPbowhunter wrote:Kansas ain't a draw no more you got money you hunt now.

Kansas is still a draw... if there are left over tags they are available OTC after the draw. Cost is easy to find by googling.. roughly $375 total. Tags are unit specific.

Iowa is a draw, typically need at least 3 pref points for most zones. Pref points are $50/yr, once you are ready to apply you have to apply zone specific and the tag costs $$$... pushing $550

If you actually plan on hunting out of state I recommend you do your homework and don't rely on what you read on the internet...

:D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:33 am

I thought they opened it up a few years back Buck? Everyone i know now drives out and buys when they get there. The guys that go out hunt the early muzzy season. Are the tag numbers so high that its almost a guarantee like ill?

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:44 am

UPbowhunter wrote:I thought they opened it up a few years back Buck? Everyone i know now drives out and buys when they get there. The guys that go out hunt the early muzzy season. Are the tag numbers so high that its almost a guarantee like ill?

What they are buying is the leftover tags for each Unit...Some units don't have leftovers but most do.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:44 am

This should help you out. For Iowa information.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/upl ... ;tabid=709
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:10 am

Does the public land up there get pretty crowded? Looking at zone 4 and 5. 5 is supposed to be good and 4 is really close to my current location. Or I could just move 10 miles north to Iowa lol

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 am

kwaldeier wrote:Does the public land up there get pretty crowded? Looking at zone 4 and 5. 5 is supposed to be good and 4 is really close to my current location. Or I could just move 10 miles north to Iowa lol

Living in Iowa would be better hunting wise... Missouri Non Resident is $250 and over the counter

I would look at differences in state income and property taxes... if cheaper in Iowa I would move 100%
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:51 am

Kansa is a lottery. At the time of the application you choose a main unit and one alternate hunting unit adjacent to the unit you choose. If you draw you get to hunt your unit and your alternate unit.

Also if you do not get drawn you can purchase leftover licenses OTC and still get a tag. At that time if there aren't licenses available in the unit you want to hunt buy a license for an adjacent unit and select the unit you want to hunt for your alternate unit.

It's kind of goofy but I talked to their game and fish and it is legal. It is a way to back into the unit you want to hunt if you don't get drawn and there are no tag available.

Hope that makes sense. Any questions can message me.

Chad

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 am

That's for archery. I don't know about gun.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 am

Iowa only has 2% public land. Finding a spot not crowded during the rut could be a challenge. Also the better units are no secret. I have been looking also and Iowa is going further down on my short list of states. Plus the price when all said is steep

kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:49 am

2%? How could I find that info out about other states?

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:58 pm

My brother hunted some public land in Iowa during the prime of the rut, I don't believe he saw another vehicle. This is area is around 2000 acres. Sure it gets hunted, but not like my area of Wisconsin.

Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:59 am

Watch on Youtube the interview with the Drury's if you really are set on going to Iowa. They have an 8 part series of discussions with the Iowa DNR and Biologist on many topics. Including Non Residents, amount of land available and where the deer are located.

One of the reasons Iowa has their deer seasons in splits.(Ex. Shotgun 1 and Shotgun 2) is to spread out the amount of hunters in the woods at one time. Search Youtube Drurys Iowa DNR they should all come up.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:34 am

You may want to consider Wisconsin as well. It's only $160 over the counter, later gun season that say MN and it's over the counter. Sounds like it would be further but you'd be able to make a trip every year. Get to know the land, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”