Keeping things in perspective

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oneflag

Re: Keeping things in perspective

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:01 am

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference." – Reinhold Niebuhr (Serenity Prayer)

south

Unread postby south » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:52 am

Before Wife: God, Hunting, job.
After Wife: God, Wife, Hunting, job. (except during last 2 weeks of Oct. 1st 2 weeks Nov., during that time Wife and Hunting swap! - She is VERY understanding and knew what she was getting into!)
After Kids: God, Wife/Kids, Hunting, job.

You guys with kids, here is my advice...they are only young once, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take your time with them for granted. There will be plenty of time to hunt after they are grown and gone. Your legacy will NOT be the heads on your wall, your children will be your legacy. I agree with what I have read about living life to the fullest, but do it with no regrets...Seen to many older guys with wall full of mounts and broken families. Most would trade it all for time with their kids again.

I think to many of us fall to peer pressure when it comes to this...we all know someone who puts hunting above everything else, and while inherently we know this is wrong, we tend to give in to our competitive nature. We soon are sacrificing the important things in life because somebody else is hunting more than we are.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 am

south wrote:Before Wife: God, Hunting, job.
After Wife: God, Wife, Hunting, job. (except during last 2 weeks of Oct. 1st 2 weeks Nov., during that time Wife and Hunting swap! - She is VERY understanding and knew what she was getting into!)
After Kids: God, Wife/Kids, Hunting, job.

You guys with kids, here is my advice...they are only young once, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take your time with them for granted. There will be plenty of time to hunt after they are grown and gone. Your legacy will NOT be the heads on your wall, your children will be your legacy. I agree with what I have read about living life to the fullest, but do it with no regrets...Seen to many older guys with wall full of mounts and broken families. Most would trade it all for time with their kids again.

I think to many of us fall to peer pressure when it comes to this...we all know someone who puts hunting above everything else, and while inherently we know this is wrong, we tend to give in to our competitive nature. We soon are sacrificing the important things in life because somebody else is hunting more than we are.

x2.......It is all about legacy in the end. I want my grandchildren to raise their children to Love their creator( God/ Jesus) with all their hearts ,soul and mind. Have manors, respect their elders and live life with a light that shines, so the world knows there is a God who loves them. Enjoy all the resources here on this earth with a passion........If it is hunting their into then cool, if it is music then cool ect, ect, ect........Just so they have zeal for this God given life.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 am

Many posts on this thread full of wisdom! Having a 2.5 year old boy and a 7 month old girl at home, I am definitely in a position to learn from others' experiences. Thanks for all of your input.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 am

Now to bring this full circle. I would like to thank Dan for his selfless act of stepping out on the limb financially, psychologically and emotionally to share his wisdom with us so that we can make the most of our time while pursuing our passion of hunting mature bucks.
I am sure that I am not the only one who feels a peace within ourselves knowing the priceless information you have given to us. I finally feel as though the time scouting hashad more meaning toward bringing me into the hunter I have tried to be but never put the pieces together on my own. I have spent the last 2 days scouting a huge marsh and have been able to make the most of that time by going straight to the good areas of that marsh, hence saving me a lot more time to spend with my family. Scouting has never felt so rewarding until the last few days. I have hunted for years and have been irratically successful. The piece of the puzzle in which you have given to me has been a large chunk that was missing and I didn't even know it!
I haven't even started applying your wisdom on hill or farm country yet.

I will always be scouting, hunting, fishing and spending time outdoors, but my scouting was always lacking. And according to the "industry standards" I couldn't figure out why, I did what they taught me to do............and it didn't work CONSISTENTLY like it should have according to them.
You didn't have to share this knowledge and yet you did. And I just wanted to say thanks!

Love your family first everyone, Dan has given us access to some "real world" hunting wisdom for the price of a DVD and continues to givers us for FREE through this site.
Now we can make better use of our time scouting, being more effective at killing our day dreams, thus spending the same amount of time as we would have anyway.
Pursue your dreams, keep everything in perspective and try your best to balance it all.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:Now to bring this full circle. I would like to thank Dan for his selfless act of stepping out on the limb financially, psychologically and emotionally to share his wisdom with us so that we can make the most of our time while pursuing our passion of hunting mature bucks.
I am sure that I am not the only one who feels a peace within ourselves knowing the priceless information you have given to us. I finally feel as though the time scouting hashad more meaning toward bringing me into the hunter I have tried to be but never put the pieces together on my own. I have spent the last 2 days scouting a huge marsh and have been able to make the most of that time by going straight to the good areas of that marsh, hence saving me a lot more time to spend with my family. Scouting has never felt so rewarding until the last few days. I have hunted for years and have been irratically successful. The piece of the puzzle in which you have given to me has been a large chunk that was missing and I didn't even know it!
I haven't even started applying your wisdom on hill or farm country yet.

I will always be scouting, hunting, fishing and spending time outdoors, but my scouting was always lacking. And according to the "industry standards" I couldn't figure out why, I did what they taught me to do............and it didn't work CONSISTENTLY like it should have according to them.
You didn't have to share this knowledge and yet you did. And I just wanted to say thanks!

Love your family first everyone, Dan has given us access to some "real world" hunting wisdom for the price of a DVD and continues to givers us for FREE through this site.
Now we can make better use of our time scouting, being more effective at killing our day dreams, thus spending the same amount of time as we would have anyway.
Pursue your dreams, keep everything in perspective and try your best to balance it all.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 100% agree :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”