How Would You Feel??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SHoff10

How Would You Feel??

Unread postby SHoff10 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 am

Well, the last month has left me with a lot of doubts, questions, and concerns about a hunt I had on November 13th. If you recall, I was bowting in Northeast Kansas. On the morning of the 13th I arrowed my biggest buck to date, probably a 4.5 year old, and couldn't find him. I thought I made a great shot on him but it turns out that I didn't. We tracked him forever and eventually lost blood. This deer's hoof prints were so big and wide that I coudln't believe it.

Anyways, fastforward to today...I get a call from a local who we hunt with in Kansas. He was out rifle hunting two nights ago and right at last light he had a huge bodied buck with what he believed was a BIG rack come out. He couldn't get his scope on him and didn't feel comfortable with the shot since it was too dark. Keep in mind that he is a local in Kansas and has seen his fair share of big bucks. So when he tells me big, I believe him. Anyways, this deer he sees is limping very badly and is wounded in his right front shoulder. The reason why this is relevant to me is because that where he saw this buck is right where we lost blood when we were tracking the deer I shot. I also shot my deer on the right side. Unfortunately everything happened so fast that when I shot I was unsure as to where my arrow hit him? If the deer he saw was the one I wounded, then apparently I hit him in the shoulder. He told me that he would do anything he could to put this deer down and investigate. If the broadhead and arrow, that I believe are in him, match what I shoot, he would give me the antlers.

Anyways, my real question is how would you feel if you got the antlers in this situation? I was torn up for weeks about wounding this deer. I felt terrible because of how much time I put into practicing, technique, etc. I couldn't believe that I had just blown my chance at a true kansas brute. I would love to get the antlers and be provided with some closure, but I don't feel like it would be "my" buck at all. Would you just tell him to take a picture and send it to you and call it good? Part of me would like to get the antlers and do some type of mount, but technically I wouldn't have been the one who killed this deer.

“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: How Would You Feel??

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:01 am

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. if you were given the antlers and the guy who ended the deer life had no problem giving them to you, it would make a cool story. all antlers are cool, reguardless how we get them (other than poaching)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 am

It is definately a tough one...

I seem to think much like you, but after removing all doubt and the underlying fact of your weapon didn't kill him then I would probably ask for a nice picture and hope for the best on your next big buck.

Ultimately if it was found dead - I wouldn't have a problem taking the antlers from that point, knowing your history and all.

Either way that gentelman is very generous to offer, but he certainly must have seen a star quality in you to offer - pretty cool situation from that perspective!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:06 am

I think I would just be happy with a picture and the closure you would have knowing what happened to the buck.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:07 am

Sounds like you put a lot of pressure on yourself with this deer. Would having this deer on your wall really be a life-changing event? No matter how big it is, to me a buck is still just a deer. A beautiful, magnificent, fabulous creature that you happened to be lucky enough to hunt and sometimes take home with you. I personally would forever relish the story of this hunt and tell it over and over again to my kids and grandkids and anyone else that would listen. But that would be enough for me.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:14 am

If it were me, i would feel the same way. I would tell him that i would like him to keep the antlers for himself and ask if he could just send a couple pictures. If he shoots it i would just feel relieved to know the buck isn't out there limping around anymore.
Hopefully that guy shoots that buck! Hang in there man!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:15 am

A picture would be enough for me. Bulletin board material. The one that got away! He's still out there alive. You didn't kill him. I wouldn't want the antlers personally if I didn't kill him.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 am

Just a pic would do.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:29 am

I think some pics should suffice. A little momento from your hunt. If he really wanted too give you the antlers I wouldn't feel bad about it. But if it were me it would just be awkward looking at a rack that someone else killed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 am

hunter_mike wrote:If it were me, i would feel the same way. I would tell him that i would like him to keep the antlers for himself and ask if he could just send a couple pictures. If he shoots it i would just feel relieved to know the buck isn't out there limping around anymore.
Hopefully that guy shoots that buck! Hang in there man!

X2 this posting for me
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 am

You are being to hard on yourself... I personally would not take the antlers from the guy who finishes the job... But, thats me. Follow your own heart.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 am

Public Land Beast wrote:A picture would be enough for me. Bulletin board material. The one that got away! He's still out there alive. You didn't kill him. I wouldn't want the antlers personally if I didn't kill him.

x2, chalk it up to a learning experience.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:53 pm

I wouldn't want a rack from a deer I didn't kill
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Badger wrote:I wouldn't want a rack from a deer I didn't kill

x2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Interesting situation. Wonder how I would feel if I was the guy doing a mercy kill on the deer, would I want the antlers then? Dunno
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”