Question for the everyday working man..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Question for the everyday working man..

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Was just curious roughly how far many of you are traveling during the work to your hunting spots. Especially, those of you who have to search a long ways to get on a slob. I'm your everyday joe that works mon-fri from 7 to 3, which is actually great for hunting your usual funnels etc during the wk. but if i'm to try hunting beds this means walking in very slow and being stealthy. but finding a large buck for me may mean traveling in the truck an hour or better before i even start into the the woods so is it even fesible? how far are you traveling in your scouting efforts to even get on big bucks? How big of an are do you shine when searching for a couple bucks you want to focus on?I have no problem going a couple hrs from home to get on big bucks but that washes out the hopes of hunting them during the wk and in pa we only have a 6 wk archery season and are cursed with no sunday hunting... so it would leave a very small window of opportunity for wknd hunts. just curious if others are having this problem. I just dont hear of or see slobs in this area. maybe i'm looking at this all wrong. I typically take the first wk of november off to hunt the rut but i'd like to focus on beds so i can bag my buck early and use that wk to explore hunting in ny or oh on my wk off in nov.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Question for the everyday working man..

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm

I used to barrel out into the woods after work with a 1/2 hr of light left. I killed one buck doing this in 1976.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm

No Hunting on Sunday!! Start a movement to change that. Don't know your area, but kill the biggest buck you can get to. Don't worry about the ones far away, find the ones in your backyard. Hunt what is available.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 pm

I kill a lot of my bucks after work... A lot of them were shot wearing my work clothes and and work boots.
I too have better hunting if I travel a distance, but I save that for the weekends and make the best out of what is close to work during the week. Hunting might not be as good there, but with a little spring scouting I can find some great areas near work too... Just might have to look a little harder and a little longer.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:10 am

Good question...
Unfortunately work comes before play however I have a giving family that allows me (most the time) to put hunting time before them during the hunting season...

As one can imagine, the beginning of the season doesn't seem to be much of a problem, plenty of light.
Until the time change, then it cripples me and my hunting, not to mention that bird season interfers with "how/where" I spend my hunting time too...

Then about mid-November my wife starts reaching her limits, being gone for 4 or 5 weekends, plus I feel guilty steeling valuable time from the family and try and skip a weekend or so.

Sometimes I get in a rut (no pun intended) and need a break.

I guess it turned out to be less of a good question than I originally said "good question" too.
I NEED TO HUNT MORE! :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 am

This year I have not traveled farther than 1/2 hour from my house or work. Most of my spots are even closer to work/home. My goal is to take the best buck available in my area, with the time and money I have available. If there is no booner, so be it. I don't mind settling for what is available. A lot of guys don't add up their hunting related fuel expense for the year. I think if they did they would be shocked and would find that for what they spend in gas, they could do a week or two leased hunt at some swanky outfitter. They would also find that they're spending way too much per pound on their deer meat too IMO.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:48 am

I agree with u natureboy. I will try to have that state of mind next year. The best buck in my area is typically two half-year-old. My main hunting land is 2 miles from home

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 am

NatureBoy wrote:This year I have not traveled farther than 1/2 hour from my house or work. Most of my spots are even closer to work/home. My goal is to take the best buck available in my area, with the time and money I have available. If there is no booner, so be it. I don't mind settling for what is available. A lot of guys don't add up their hunting related fuel expense for the year. I think if they did they would be shocked and would find that for what they spend in gas, they could do a week or two leased hunt at some swanky outfitter. They would also find that they're spending way too much per pound on their deer meat too IMO.

I know most of us are aware that if we added up our expenses we would be WAY in the black if rated by the pound. It has very little to do with apples per apples. Unless your talking about regeneration to deal with life's reaponsabilities, there isn't a price tag on it.

Shoot what is within your reach, and is also considered a big buck for your area. Keep your priorities straight, travel when you can.
This is just my opinion

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”