Can we 'kill' our way out of CWD problems?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Can we 'kill' our way out of CWD problems?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:04 am

Monster Raxx wrote:A lot of great quotes there Dan. CWD is caused from the soil so you can kill EVERY single deer and the problem is still there in the soil. I believe they used CWD as a scare tactic and a ways to eradicate deer.

There is some validity in that.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Stanley wrote:
Monster Raxx wrote:A lot of great quotes there Dan. CWD is caused from the soil so you can kill EVERY single deer and the problem is still there in the soil. I believe they used CWD as a scare tactic and a ways to eradicate deer.

There is some validity in that.

They used it as an excuse to take out the whitetail herds along the front range of Colo.

Between insurance and muley lovers whiteys dont have a chance around here.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:16 pm

CWD was just a way to lower deer densities in the spots that had the most deer and thus more car accidents, more crop damage etc. It has been a double edged sword, but I wished the seasons would go back to the way they were prior to 2001. I will say the earn a buck led to more big bucks it seems like porbably due to people having to pass up bucks which is both good and bad depending on if you have a tag. , I see a lot more bigger bucks when shining and it seems others have the same experiences though holding out for bigger deer is more popular now than it was in 2001 too so that certainly contributes a lot to with bucks living longer and getting bigger. Th doe population is way low in some spots, and needs to rebound. The DNR needs to just get over this, stop wasting money on it, you cant contain it, and lets face it, most deer will die from other causes before CWD would kill them even if they did have it. As far as eating a deer with CWD, I would rather do that then eat half of the food at the grocery store with all the preservatives and chemicals in them. I refuse to let them waste money and sample any deer I kill unless I legally have to and I haven't had to do that in awhile. I also got to kill one of their radio collared research does, that was pretty neat :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”