Too cautious?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

Too cautious?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:29 am

Reading Joe's story on the buck he's after got me thinking that maybe I'm being too cautious in my approach to mature buck hunting. So for you guys that scout throughout the season:
  • When you come across hot sign in the right area (secluded enough for a buck to frequent during daylight hours), I understand that you should set up and hunt it ASAP? But what if the wind is wrong that day, or is going to be wrong later and you have to come back another day? Do you consider that scouting trip hunt #1? With the pressure my area gets, I usually only hunt an area 1, maybe two times a month, unless the access is perfect and leaves the area virtually virgin.
  • Other guys in my area will go back into an area as long as there is good sign. I feel that even if there is good sign, a mature buck will go nocturnal with that human presence in his area. Yet some of these guys get good bucks every year. What would you do?

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Too cautious?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:07 am

BTW, in years past, I have sat over "hot sign" several times in a row. Sometimes, especially during the rut, this has paid off. Most of the times, especially outside of the rut, it has been a waste of time. I'm just wondering if I'm moving on too quickly.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 am

I would never set up on the wrong wind, but often I can play a bad wind and find a way to hunt a spot I have burned by walking...
As far as hunting a spot over and over... Unless I am seeing action, Im busting a move. If I am seeing a buck on a regular basis, I continue to hunt.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:36 am

When I go into a new place to scout/hunt I try and have a plan. I might pick a transition area I want to follow or take a guess at some bedding areas and approach those areas so the wind won't mess up the hunt. Sometimes the plan works and I have setup on sign and seen bucks, other times I don't find anything or the sign takes me to a different place to hunt. I guess have some kind of plan but stay flexable.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 am

NatureBoy wrote:Reading Joe's story on the buck he's after got me thinking that maybe I'm being too cautious in my approach to mature buck hunting. So for you guys that scout throughout the season:
  • When you come across hot sign in the right area (secluded enough for a buck to frequent during daylight hours), I understand that you should set up and hunt it ASAP? But what if the wind is wrong that day, or is going to be wrong later and you have to come back another day? Do you consider that scouting trip hunt #1? With the pressure my area gets, I usually only hunt an area 1, maybe two times a month, unless the access is perfect and leaves the area virtually virgin.
  • Other guys in my area will go back into an area as long as there is good sign. I feel that even if there is good sign, a mature buck will go nocturnal with that human presence in his area. Yet some of these guys get good bucks every year. What would you do?

Basic hunting 101 never ever hunt when the wind is wrong.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 am

Going off of Headgears comment... When in season scouting for a hunting spot for that day, I scout a transition that puts the bedding up wind of me... That does not mean I don't occasionally get caught finding something with a bad wind, but for the most part, if the winds wrong to hunt the area that day, I am not "in season" scouting it that day...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 pm

NatureBoy wrote:...in years past, I have sat over "hot sign" several times in a row. Sometimes, especially during the rut, this has paid off. Most of the times, especially outside of the rut, it has been a waste of time.[glow=red]I'm just wondering if I'm moving on too quickly.[/glow]

I appreciate you guys' comments and couldn't agree more about not hunting a wrong wind. My question though is: Am I being too cautious in my approach to hunting mature bucks, basically thinking that they are more sensitive to human invasion of their space than they in fact may be? Dan, you touched on the answer:
dan wrote:As far as hunting a spot over and over... Unless I am seeing action, Im busting a move. [glow=red]If I am seeing a buck on a regular basis, I continue to hunt.[/glow]
That's the answer I was looking for. Any other comments on what you guys have seen along this line? When you burn an area you might hunt by scouting it, do you consider it "burnt out" or do you keep hunting it if the sign is there?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 am

dan wrote:Going off of Headgears comment... When in season scouting for a hunting spot for that day, I scout a transition that puts the bedding up wind of me... That does not mean I don't occasionally get caught finding something with a bad wind, but for the most part, if the winds wrong by to hunt the area that day, I am not "in season" scouting it that day...

X2....That's how I scout in season also...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:14 am

NatureBoy wrote:Any other comments on what you guys have seen along this line? When you burn an area you might hunt by scouting it, do you consider it "burnt out" or do you keep hunting it if the sign is there?

Guess not. Thanks for your reply to my question Dan. I'm going to experiment with muddying up a few areas a little more than I normally do, hunting them as long as they have good sign and I'm seeing deer.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:12 am

NatureBoy wrote:
NatureBoy wrote:Any other comments on what you guys have seen along this line? When you burn an area you might hunt by scouting it, do you consider it "burnt out" or do you keep hunting it if the sign is there?

Guess not. Thanks for your reply to my question Dan. I'm going to experiment with muddying up a few areas a little more than I normally do, hunting them as long as they have good sign and I'm seeing deer.

My comment was in relation to seeing a "shooter" not just deer, or sign. Sign can be made at night, and deer that are not shooters are like a whole different species... I believe keeping mobile will get you more opportunity than sitting a spot where you already sat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”