Lets discuss Rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

Re: Lets discuss Rubs

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:49 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Greg Miller "Rub Line Secrets" great read. according to him, there are a few reasons why deer make rubs and there are different kinds of rubs. (names they are given due to the vacinity they are in).

IMO, best book on rubs. Once you've been out in the field for awhile you'll start to see certain trends that Greg discusses in the book.

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:17 am

I find rubs very useful in big woods to get an idea on big buck areas and helps with travel routes to put the puzzle together. I credit rubs with a major part of my buck success this year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:57 pm

I was just out scouting a remote section of a large swamp... I found a ton of rubs. And some of them did give me some clues... Chest high ones, I know were made by mature bucks. And I was also able to decipher some travel patterns giving me a clue as to where the buck leaving the sign may be bedding. But, it will take farther investigation to find the exact spot... Narrowing it down to a certain probable section is a good start though.

On this rub, it was interesting how far away from the rub, there was damage to some branches indicating long tines. Also interesting to note, there was a large scrape under that tree too, and the overhead branch was about 7 feet off the ground was busted at about the 3/4 of an inch thick area right in 1/2
This one was only waste high.
This one was really high, though it don't look like it in the picture. There were tine marks in the tree from both this year and scars from last year up to 6 feet up.

Tines hitting a tree far behind the rub tree.

And "of coarse" no scouting mission would be complete without chasing down some possums and catching them... Caught and released 2 possum. A 3rd one gave me the slip.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:34 pm

blackwolf wrote:I find rubs very useful in big woods to get an idea on big buck areas and helps with travel routes to put the puzzle together. I credit rubs with a major part of my buck success this year.

Very much agree blackwolf, with endless miles of timber they can be so important to help pin down where a buck lives.

Cool pics Dan!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:03 am

Outstanding post, Dan... When you find tine marks above a rub from this year and last that are six feet off the ground... Nuff said!! Wow!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:06 am

Good info. had to laugh at the possum story. :D
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:36 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Outstanding post, Dan... When you find tine marks above a rub from this year and last that are six feet off the ground... Nuff said!! Wow!!

I found a great stand location in the area you and I discussed.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:42 am

I'm not sure what rubs really tell except that a buck once stood in that spot and made it. Which does help me out some days after sitting up in a tree for a few hrs and not seeing anything.

I do like to hunt around big rubs and especially like being able to see one from my stand. I do believe some rubs are like a community rub where more than one buck will come by and sniff it out to see what's going on. Like dogs do to some trees.

This rub in the picture was one of them..it's in Central Fl. on public land and I saw a bunch of different bucks come by it over about 3yrs hunting that area. You can tell it's been used over the yrs. by the tree wear.

blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Nice pics Dan! Those are the rubs that get a guy excited about figuring out the right spot!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Speaking of rubs, I was doing a little hunting/scouting today with the muzzeloader. Had to check out a remote island and hit the jackpot. I really wasn't sure what I would find out there but stumbled upon at least 20 nice sized rubs and a half dozen beds spread out along the southest end of the island. Just as many old rubs spread over as well, plus several sets of large tracks going to and from the island. I think I found me a nice primary bedding area. About a half mile of nasty to get out there and likely a pair of hip boots. Found a couple of other good looking bedding areas too.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 pm

dan wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Outstanding post, Dan... When you find tine marks above a rub from this year and last that are six feet off the ground... Nuff said!! Wow!!

I found a great stand location in the area you and I discussed.

Sounds like its time for the "King of the North" to meet the Big Buck Serial Killer! 8-)
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:39 am

for once my opinion differs a lot from the general public on here..

Anyway, I have begun hunting a certain type of rub and have succeded by having the largest buck of my archery career under me at 15 feet. I also had many pictures of him using this trail, a few daylights and also ANOTHER large mature buck using the same trail that came under me when it was too dark to know what deer it was.

No other deer used this trail expect 2 mature bucks, the does and small bucks moved 50-80 yards away regulary.

I DO NOT ever hunt scrapes, I wasted years hunting scrapes with nothing to show for it, or even seeing a mature buck. Scrapes are a dime a dozen around here, but big rubs? not so much.

If I find a large rub, I immedialey scout the surrounding area for more (to form a rub line, or trail in my eyes) and determine why this obviously large deer put so much work in making this giant rub and rubs.

Say what you want about rubs, but find some large ones in an area you suspect a buck and you might have some luck.

This is one of 3 like rubs forming a "buck trail" thorugh thick over parallel from where other deer traveld.

Here is my stand overlooking the trail, I could get in here without ever crossing 1 trail. The buck stoped at the tree infront of me while I was at full draw looking down on his rack and neck... 1 more step is what I needed, but he caught my scnet and turned around.

This one came under right after shooting light, smae buck trail same rub line.

heres the big boy, have multiple daylight pictures of this buck using this trail, had him at 15 feet... still looking for him in a different spot. I beleive the spot was burnt only after he caught my scent, howvere I hunted this site multiple times because i NEW he was in the area, and IF he traveled the chances where very good he would use this trail.
You can't kill em on the couch
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:20 am

Still alive.... going to wait until its right again to back to hunting him. VERY warm here right now - 67 today and humid.

You can't kill em on the couch
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
moog5050 wrote:Can someone explain travel based on the side of tree rubbed? In other words, if there are three trees all with recent rubs on the west side, what does that mean about where the buck is coming from and going to? Thx

the bucks face the direction he is walking while making the rubs. (if the rubs are a rub line and not just a community rub post. trees in a row with rubs on the west side means the buck is traveling east.

If you keep track of observed movement patterns of your local bucks in relation to wind direction (nose into the wind or tail wind) you now also know which wind direction most likely the buck made those rubs and which wind direction he is most likely to use that trail again. Couple that with the knowledge of known bedding/feeding areas, you should know if those rubs are heading towards bedding(made in the morning) or food(made in the evening). You now have a well educated guess on what wind and what time of day to hunt that rub line and on which end of it you are most likely to have daytime activity by Mr Buck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm

hoyt wrote:I.it's in Central Fl. on public land and I saw a bunch of different bucks come by it over about 3yrs hunting that area. You can tell it's been used over the yrs. by the tree wear.

GPS coordinatess please :P
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”